DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Sergio Pettis is moving back up to bantamweight anyway, and he's never winning any title. Flyweight is effectively dead at this point. 

This is really bizarro land if you are trading your greatest champion in history for a 34-year-old Ben Askren. 

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

UFC would rather pay Askren's contract than immediately overpay Demetrious Johnson. That's all this is.

So, does that mean there's some truth to these rumours? DJ hasn't been happy ib awhile but that would be a massive pick up for One.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also...Brandon Vera better hope Cain Velasquez gets hurt again because he might end up there too. The can crushing run might come to a gruesome end.

One's heavyweight schedule would suit Cain perfectly as well. Most of One's divisions are paper thin but hw and lhw are literally something like 3 guys.

In light of the financial report published on Onr, I am a bit apprehensive about their future at this point. They just seem too reliant on cash injections every few years and unless there's a massive upswing in their ad revenue and tv deals, I just can't see the promotion sustaining itself - especially if they're going to throw big money at the fa market. I am sure all of the names you mentioned above, especially Lee, Vera and Nsang, are getting great pay days as well.

1 hour ago, Setsuna said:

So, does that mean there's some truth to these rumours? DJ hasn't been happy ib awhile but that would be a massive pick up for One.

Given Hume's position with ONE and the fact no one from the UFC has outright denied these rumors puts a lot of validity into it. DJ losing the belt perhaps sped this up.

One's heavyweight schedule would suit Cain perfectly as well. Most of One's divisions are paper thin but hw and lhw are literally something like 3 guys.

In light of the financial report published on Onr, I am a bit apprehensive about their future at this point. They just seem too reliant on cash injections every few years and unless there's a massive upswing in their ad revenue and tv deals, I just can't see the promotion sustaining itself - especially if they're going to throw big money at the fa market. I am sure all of the names you mentioned above, especially Lee, Vera and Nsang, are getting great pay days as well.

I saw a trailer for this Filipino action movie that I think came out earlier this year or last year and Brandon Vera just shows up out of nowhere as one of the co-leads. That was sorta surreal.

I say that to say ONE is becoming what folks (meaning fighters) thought Affliction was suppose to be. Remember before like the Mercer debacle, Tim Sylvia thought HW boxers were just making 7 million a fight and it would be easy money. I think for right now ONE can prop up one or two per division and pay them handsomely. However, at some point when you're looking to add more talent, the bill is going to come due. A Brandon Vera can fight whenever he wants to against various cab drivers and do actioners between fights because it's not like they have a real heavyweight division like you said. You can't have six or seven Brandon Veras and expect to avoid a financial downturn. 

I'm not saying fighters are looking for a free ride, but I don't see anyone turning it down. Askren thought he was gone ride that boat out and looked how that turned out. He had some fights, had one really bad showing, and then a long period of inactivity leading to him petering out to virtually no fanfare in his final run against a string of nobodies and whatever is left of Shinya Aoki.

The biggest issue is when it comes to a new influx of money (and I also hear the stories or carefully laid propaganda of how much the company is valued at) is MMA promotions tend to walk toward the quicksand and not away from it. Remember the Dana White office tombstone picture. Those orgs didn't get there just because the UFC wanted them out. Bellator had that internet buzz for those signings they made over the last 18 to 24 months. What do they have to show for it? ACB tried to make a run and look what happened. They're on the brink of financial collapse. So whenever ONE makes all their plays for free agents, after a year or so, that's when we will know what direction they're about to take. Are they a contender or pretender? History is certainly not in their favor, but there is a marketplace for a healthy alternative. Who takes that mantle in the UFC on ESPN era is anyone's guess if there is an organization that can take it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Well Dana has never been about quality.  He is a lot like Vince in that entertainment value supersedes ability.  See the amount of fines and suspensions the UFC has dished out versus the AC's and USADA.

Then why is he trading Johnson for Askren? Especially Askren at 34 years old when you could've had a younger and prime Askren years ago, which Dana White constantly indicated he had no interest in signing him. Not to mention, when you think entertaining fights you usually don't think Ben Askren either. Not exactly a Justin Gaethje type signing here. I just don't see the logic in making such a trade. Not to mention, talk about entertainment value, they let go of Eddie Alvarez as well.

If you wanted Ben Askren on your roster, why not sign him like 25 years ago when he was a free agent and wanted to go to the UFC? What is he doing now that's so, "Yeah now we want Ben Askren in the Octagon?"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Not to mention, talk about entertainment value, they let go of Eddie Alvarez as well.

If you can find a rational soul in MMA that will give Eddie Alvarez with all the damage he has accrued in MMA at least 10 million guaranteed, I would like them to explain in excruciating detail why Eddie Alvarez is worth that amount.

41 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If you wanted Ben Askren on your roster, why not sign him like 25 years ago when he was a free agent and wanted to go to the UFC? What is he doing now that's so, "Yeah now we want Ben Askren in the Octagon?"

this was my question as well. When Askren signed with ONE five years ago, UFC had zero interest. why would that have possibly changed?

and if Eddie found big money somewhere, good on him. i also can't imagine someone giving him $10Mil, but hey, gotta fill out that Chuck-Tito card right?
edit: i just saw Eddie signed with ONE, and then i saw the unofficial Chuck-Tito card. i actually expected worse.

• Like 1

Dude's not getting $10 million up front. UFC couldn't have incentivized him a little more? So what if he has accrued damage. I thought this was about entertainment? When is Eddie Alvarez in a boring fight? That one with Melendez a few years back, but other than that he was usually one of the more exciting guys on the roster. Also, isn't there value in wanting to keep your top-ranked athletes on your roster? 

Sign a younger Askren in his 20s and throw him in the deep waters. Maybe he turns out to be the drizzling shits like Jake Shields, but give him a chance and see how he does. 

Now maybe Askren hasn't taken the kind of damage over the course of his career that Eddie Alvarez has, but at 34 he still has more miles and training camps under him than he did five years ago. 34 is basically old for this sport. 

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Dude's not getting $10 million up front.

The upfront ain't the issue. It's getting 10 million period.

UFC couldn't have incentivized him a little more? 

There is incentive like locker room bonuses and then there is 10 million dollars guaranteed. That is a bridge that cannot to be connected. Therefore, when the UFC hears that they will tell you to take that deal. Hence why Dana wasn't upset about it.

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

this was my question as well. When Askren signed with ONE five years ago, UFC had zero interest. why would that have possibly changed?

They don't want to pay Demetrious any more money than they have to especially since he is no longer champion. Askren was close to signing a UFC deal not too long ago before he retired but it fell apart. 

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

The upfront ain't the issue. It's getting 10 million period.

There is incentive like locker room bonuses and then there is 10 million dollars guaranteed. That is a bridge that cannot to be connected. Therefore, when the UFC hears that there will tell you to take that deal. Hence why Dana wasn't upset about it.

Yeah find it hard to believe there couldn't have been some sort of offer to be negotiated that would've made Alvarez happy and want to stay in the UFC for remainder of his career. 

I'm also incredibly skeptical on the claimed value in Alvarez's ONE FC contract. Fighters and their managers lie all the time about their contracts. Not long ago, Marlon Moraes said he re-upped with WSOF long-term. A few months later, he signed with the UFC.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/30/14022802/marlon-moraes-balanced-money-competition-on-decision-to-stay-with-wsof

49 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Yeah find it hard to believe there couldn't have been some sort of offer to be negotiated that would've made Alvarez happy and want to stay in the UFC for remainder of his career. 

Yeah a difference of about nine million dollars. That would've made him happy. He took the bank heist over the good UFC deal. Not even the UFC could fault him.

In addition, unless you live in Eddie's brain or a part of these negotiations, I don't think you know what the fuck will make Eddie Alvarez satisfied enough to sign longterm anywhere. Or any fighter for that matter. Throwing around the word incentives don't mean shit. They're not NFL running backs or a defensive end who gets an extra 100k for a specific number of sacks at the end of the season. A lot of these dudes at the top level ain't even guaranteed to fight more than once a year. Moreover, there aren't enough "incentives" to make up a difference that big. You know what's a great incentive? Ten million (or whatever bloated figure he is set to get) dollars.

49 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

. Not long ago, Marlon Moraes said he re-upped with WSOF long-term. A few months later, he signed with the UFC.

The WSOF doesn't even exist anymore. That's why Moraes is with the UFC. PFL is an entity funded by investors willing to lose even more money than the original WSOF. And if Moraes was around when the PFL got that funding, he would be there. Same goes for Fitch and Gaethje. The folks did the leeching and then got off the Titanic and onto the lifeboats. Bravo to them, but that's how this goes. Fighters will take the money and then move on once that's no longer a viable option. 

ONE is propped up by other backers. The reason Alvarez is getting eight figures is because they found someone to partner with to give him that money.

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

According to Alvarez he had a number and UFC almost met it. 

Then ONE came with a number that trumped that and put a kabosh on the UFC's chances of retaining his services. How hard is this to understand? The UFC doesn't want to hold on to everybody and there are money marks willing to overspend an insane rate just for the notion they can compete with the UFC and collect the crumbs. Currently, ONE has the muscle to do that. I dunno how else to simplify it.

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

hey, i just read that Vitaly Minakov re-signed with Bellator back in August. that's pretty exciting. Him facing the GP winner would be something and add some (more) legitimacy to the title. 

There is a rumor floating around that a potential Minakov opponent would be Kharitonov. I know it's Roy Nelson and all, but Sergei didn't look past it in his last fight at least. That would be fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

November 2nd eh? Good job there's nothing else happening that day. Nice, unopposed, press conference.

32 minutes ago, AxB said:

November 2nd eh? Good job there's nothing else happening that day. Nice, unopposed, press conference.

They always do these pressers an hour and an a half before the weigh-in.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I was referring to the fact that there's a WWE show everyone's boycotting on the same day.

I don't think anyone in the current UFC regime follows the WWE product let alone cares enough to counter-program it. Also, by the time the presser takes place, that show will likely be over. I'd imagine they would be little crossover for a WWE show on the network and a 40 minute UFC press conference late in the afternoon.

Yair Rodriguez is stepping in for Frankie Edgar against Chan Sung Jung on the 25th anniversary card in Denver. Edgar suffered a biceps injury but can return at the beginning of next year and doesn't need surgery.