DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Spun is most definitely not in the Criterion Collection. I've never seen it, but I've also never heard a positive thing about it. Maybe I've been misled, are you a fan Curt?

1999 was a great filmgoing year. Ghost Dog, the Limey, the Straight Story, Boys Don't Cry... I wonder how Boys Don't Cry holds up? Other than the Insider, I saw everything I (knew about and) wanted to see in the Cinema that year. Including the (arguably) grossly underrated Psycho remake. There was a '99 retrospective just prior to the pandemic here in Toronto, and I was fortunate enough to see many of the screenings - The Insider, Being John Malkovich, Bringing Out the Dead, Three Kings, Any Given Sunday, Existenz, American Beauty, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Election, Magnolia, All About My Mother and Eyes Wide Shut. I actually just watched Eyes Wide again last night, and I can report that it's still a stone cold masterpiece. Nicole Kidman is unreal. One of the greatest to ever do it. 

• Like 1

ACK I didn't mean Spun. I meant Bound! It's the Joey Pants question. 

Spun is a very close favorite of mine that I have seen A LOT. I can quote that goddamn thing chapter and verse. There are so many reasons. 

1. Hilarious

2. Mickey Rourke coming back with a vengeance into acting

3. Wrestling references and actual wrestling

4. Metal references and actual metal (because the director was in fucking Bathory)

5. Schwarzman and Britney fucking Murphy killing it

6. John Leguizamo actually ruling in a movie

7. Hilarious situations

8. Hilarious dialogue

9. Drugs

10. Cameos from Peter Stormare, Eric Roberts, Debbie Harry (?!), Rob Halford (?!?!), etc.

I mean when you can make me like Leguizamo you've won. And name me this. What is another film about drug addiction that is a comedy? (Well, I guess Mickey was in another one, if you count alcohol)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1