DVDVR Message Board

GREATEST DOCUMENTARIES OF ALL TIME: Logistics

RIPPA

Okay - getting Documentaries and Horror started.

Horror will come after Documentary but my goal for Horror is Ballots Sept, Countdown Oct so for documentary...

Shit umm... I guess it is gonna have to be Ballots late August, Countdown Sept. (August is a hell month with the start of the school year so I know I can't start the countdown until probably Labor Day weekend)

Ballot Length: Umm... submit a ballot of either 25 or 50 (I know documentaries is narrowcasting for folks so I want to make it accessible for folks to make a ballot).

• Like 3

What Does or Does Not Count?

Off the top of my head - the only things I can think of that don't count are those 30 minute TV series type deals. Like as much I like it something like Penn & Teller's Bullshit doesn't count.

I am going to say each part of the UP series counts as one documentary. If y'all disagree let me know.

As long those same lines - something dubbed and presented as mini-series is a single documentary (Ken Burns docs and OJ: Made In America for examples)

The 30 for 30s are all separate

I am sure there are plenty of others so if you are unsure it is best to ask (and that works as a way of pimping too)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am going to say each part of the UP series counts as one documentary. If y'all disagree let me know.

I can see disadvantages to doing it either way.  If we count them all separately, then someone could realistically have a ballot of 25 with up to eight Up movies on it, which would be silly.  On the other hand, if you count the entire series as one movie, then someone who wanted to vote for it would have to watch like 12 hours of stuff (because you shouldn't vote for something you haven't fully watched), which is also kind of silly.

This is to say that I don't think there's any perfect solution, so I'm not going to complain about however it ends up working.

I am fine with them

I have seen F is Fake show up on enough Best Documentaries list and Exit got nominated for an Oscar under documentary.

Plus on a base level - you could question the truthfulness of almost any documentary

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am fine with them

I have seen F is Fake show up on enough Best Documentaries list and Exit got nominated for an Oscar under documentary.

Plus on a base level - you could question the truthfulness of almost any documentary

True. All documentaries are biased in some way shape or form. Plus, if people know they are being filmed, how much is a work and how much is a shoot? 

I am good with those definitions.

Hoop Dreams and Zero Days will be easy calls.  I will have to watch The Tower again and try not cry long enough to be objective..

Looks like it will finally be time to pull Why Horror? and His Name Was Jason out of the VHS archives..

I'll promise right now to submit a ballot of the most bizarre, eclectic horror films you can imagine. 'Cause that's how I roll.

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'll promise right now to submit a ballot of the most bizarre, eclectic horror films you can imagine. 'Cause that's how I roll.

Is how your roll also posting in the wrong thread?

I was responding to your first post when mentioning the horror poll. Nyah, nyah, and nyah.

Sorry  I didn't quote you, didn't think it necessary on the first page.

Here's an on-topic question that you didn't really cover... What's the demarcation between exceedingly accurate Bio-pics and Documentaries? Will there be a hard and fast rule that a picture needs to have been submitted to the Academy as a Documentary?

7 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Here's an on-topic question that you didn't really cover... What's the demarcation between exceedingly accurate Bio-pics and Documentaries? Will there be a hard and fast rule that a picture needs to have been submitted to the Academy as a Documentary?

It doesn't need to be submitted to qualify because that is a really boring list

But Biopics are fiction - no matter how well done they are

EDIT - Get out of my head Jae!

• Like 1