DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 106: Belfort vs. Gastelum (3/11/2017) - Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil (Centro de Formação Olímpica do Nordeste)

Elsalvajeloco

fp61MQnl.jpg

UFC Fight Night 106: Belfort vs. Gastelum 
March 11, 2017
Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil  (Centro de Formação Olímpica do Nordeste)

Vitor Belfort (186) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (185) - No Contest (Gastelum Tested Positive for Marijuana)
Maurício Rua (206) vs. Gian Villante (206) - Rua, TKO (strikes), R3 (0:59)
Edson Barboza (155) vs. Beneil Dariush (156) - Barboza, KO (flying knee), R2 (3:35)
Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Ray Borg (126) - Borg, DEC (unanimous)
Bethe Correia (136) vs. Marion Reneau (135) - DRAW (majority)
Alex Oliveira (171) vs. Tim Means (170) - Oliveira, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:38)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Francisco Trinaldo (156) vs. Kevin Lee (156) - Lee, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:12)
Sérgio Moraes (171) vs. Davi Ramos (170) - Moraes, DEC (unanimous)
Rani Yahya (136) vs. Joe Soto (135) - Soto, DEC (unanimous)
Michel Prazeres (156) vs. Josh Burkman (156) - Prazeres, SUB (north-south choke), R1 (1:42)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Rony Jason (146) vs. Jeremy Kennedy (146) - Kennedy, DEC (unanimous)
Garreth McLellan (184) vs. Paulo Henrique Costa (185) - Costa, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:17)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Paulo Henrique Costa
Performance of the Night: Michel Prazeres
Performance of the Night: Edson Barboza
Performance of the Night: Kelvin Gastelum

Attendance: 14,069
Rating: 946,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Ion Cutelaba vs. Luis Henrique da Silva - Injury to Cutelaba
Alex Nicholson vs. Paulo Henrique Costa - Bout Nixed
Max Griffin vs. Sérgio Moraes - Injury to Griffin
Godofredo Castro vs. Kyle Bochniak - Injury to Castro (Nose)

Anyone feeling that Belfort could pull off the upset? I know Vitor hasn't gave anyone any optimism recently that he can, but this fight is likely to be contested mostly on the feet giving him a slight chance.

Gastellum's handspeed is almost as good as young Vitor IF he's in good shape. Vitor can still get lucky, so it'd be silly to write him off completely but he's definitely an underdog in my book. 

Shogun vs. Villante could be an insane war with both guys gassing early. 

Dariush should be a great test to see how far Edson's takedown defence has come along. I hope Barboza gets the W. 

The rest of the card looks like it could be enjoyable with exciting fighters here and there. Trinaldo vs. Lee could be a really great fight, I'm looking forward to that one. One of those sneaky, underrated UFC shows that seem to almost always deliver the goods.

• Like 1

Paulo Costo looked pretty strong tonight.  Wonder if he can follow that up later.  As good a UFC as you can ask for.

Props to Joe Soto.  Dude has rallied and come back through some big highs and lows and starting 0-3 in the UFC.  Granted one of those fights was a short-notice title bout.  But Soto really impressed me with that effort and went above and beyond under those circumstances.  Rani Yahya is a great fighter and very underrated and could easily be ranked higher.  Hope this win gets Soto some bigger fights.  

I thought we were going to have our third bout where a prospect loses dramatically to a vet bout in two weeks when Massaranduba hurt Kevin Lee, but Lee made a great comeback to win by submission. That's what true prospects can do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The best and worst of Barboza. Struggles when pressured but he can end your night in an instant. Fuck yes.

I think the heat is killing everyone. It's like 100 degrees in arena.