DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Michael Chiesa vs. Kevin Lee is the headliner for the UFC card in OKC. This could be a career making fight for Lee, but also a fight that shows the difference in class of opponents for both. Lee definitely has top lightweight talent, but has shown where he can falter against lesser talent than the caliber of opponent Chiesa has faced.

Right now, the mid to late summer plans for the UFC:

- Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw was confirmed today for UFC 213.

- The hope is to have the main event of 213 be Bisping vs. GSP but GSP wants it to be later than that (around Aug/Sep).

- The next women's FW title fight (or major fight at the least) will be the announced sometime soon. Since the late July PPV is in Anaheim, I'm guessing that probably guarantees Cyborg will be on that card since that's her backyard. Whether it's against GdR for the belt, Megan Anderson, or TBD, we will have to find out.

- With DC getting his nose broken against Rumble and getting married in late May, Cormier/JBJ II is looking like the August PPV at the earliest.

I don't think it's too bright an idea to give Jones an immediate title shot on his return. Isn't the onus on him to prove he has his shit together before they give him a main event? Put him in a 3 round semi-final under a Conor fight or something. Make him earn his spot back. How's he supposed to learn to not be a twat if he's constantly not punished for his ridiculous twattishness?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn't the onus on him to prove he has his shit together before they give him a main event? Put him in a 3 round semi-final under a Conor fight or something. Make him earn his spot back. How's he supposed to learn to not be a twat if he's constantly not punished for his ridiculous twattishness?

That's never been their goal. On many fronts that's a weird assumption to take seriously:

1. With the likelihood of Jones winning the title back, they would have no choice but to put him in main events. They've spent the last 3-4 years relying on folks who just as dependable in main events and dropped out for whatever reason. Whether he is the co-main or main event (95% leaning towards ME), they're going to spend millions of dollars promoting that fight and subsequent fights. 

2. DC-Manuwa is 1/8 the fight on profit generation level as the rematch between Cormier-Jones. It would be the same as Cormier-Bader. They had as about as many plans to do the Bader fight as the Manuwa: None. The whole thing in Buffalo was just to keep Manuwa's name out there, which was smart because there is no guarantee Gustafsson beats Teixeira.

3. God knows when McGregor is coming back. Their biggest non GSP or McGregor fight is Cormier-Jones II. It's not even debatable. Short of Rousey/Tate III or Rousey/Holm II, that's the fight to make if they have the chance to make it. The plan was Cormier-Jones when the situation was resolved months back w/ USADA and Nevada and that's still the plan internally. We're in early April and Conor MIGHT come back in November/December. They need fighters bigger than your standard fare champion-contender fights. Cormier-Jones is really the only one that breaks that mold. They're guaranteed some quality title fights name wise, but the only one that's guaranteed * > 450,000 buys is Cormier-Jones II.

4. He's the best fighter in the world and a popular name fighter, and he's going to get treated as such regardless of behavior. It would be idiotic to think otherwise.

42 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Dana White says they won't book Jon Jones in the main event

The whole notion is preposterous because that's the fight they're going to spend the most money on promoting. So we're going to decide to spend money on a fight that's being billed as the co-main that is the marquee fight but lose money anyway because that's not the actual marquee fight because we've confused our fanbase. Why are you guys still buying into this bullshit?

• Like 1

I'm not buying into it at all.  I just pointed out that White goes back on such statements frequently.  Look how he threw Misha Cirkunov under the bus one week and said he's done with the UFC, and the next week he's re-upped.

Well, whether or not Jones is going on last, they need to make sure there's another big match on the show, just in case Jon Jones does a Jon Jones.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, whether or not Jones is going on last, they need to make sure there's another big match on the show, just in case Jon Jones does a Jon Jones.

Yet, that didn't stop you from losing your shit about it.

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

Other than GSP/Bisping, there is no other big fight you can guarantee that would be a replacement level fight. When everything else is 250,000k and lower on PPV, what is a big fight? So if they can't do a Bisping/GSP II, Cormier/JBJ II is the fight and the undercard that comes together on that will be the undercard. If it's a stacked undercard, then they lucked out with timing. Otherwise, they will make 3 or 4 quality matchups on the undercard, throw some prospects in for seasoning, and keep it pushing because they have other cards to worry about.

• Like 1

You do remember they cancelled a whole PPV once, just because of Jones?

Also, I know exactly where my shit is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

You do remember they cancelled a whole PPV once, just because of Jones?

Also, I know exactly where my shit is.

Apparently not because that cancellation is irrelevant to their current business plans. Moreover, it doesn't matter because they let him headline PPVs after that. Same with Aldo after 176 and the Alcides Nunes injury from 189. Same with Cormier after he didn't make 197 and 206. They're going to cancel PPVs and postpone events. That's a guarantee every year. When you're replete with star fighters, you can do whatever. They're not so Jon Jones is a critical piece for their business model. As long as this is the case, he is going to headline PPVs. It's not up for debate especially when the owners have loans to pay off.