DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

My year-end prediction of St. Pierre having a fight announced isn't so much a gimme as it looked at one point. To be honest, when I made the prediction I thought there would maybe be a 5-10% chance of it happening - it was only after checking somebody else's predictions that I thought I might have made a really cheap pick. I don't really stay up to date in backstage news.

Still will nullify the pick if it puts me into any year-end prediction contest title race over better thought out and less predictable outcomes but I deserve a 1/5 I think? Also, anyone who didn't predict a death is more worthy of winning than me (I'll take that point if it happens though, regardless).

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Bisping refuses the fight with Romero or Whittaker then strip him of the title.

He will fight Whittaker...Romero, they probably have to get him aboard on. However, either way, he is fighting soon.  They're not stripping him of the title.

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He will fight Whittaker...Romero, they probably have to get him aboard on. However, either way, he is fighting soon.  They're not stripping him of the title.

I think both of those dudes smash him.  Bisping won the title fair and square, but he's the thinnest paper champion since Matt Serra.  He's not an unworthy champion, but I don't think there has been a day of his career when I would call him the best fighter in his division.  

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think both of those dudes smash him.  Bisping won the title fair and square, but he's the thinnest paper champion since Matt Serra.  He's not an unworthy champion, but I don't think there has been a day of his career when I would call him the best fighter in his division.  

I don't know if he is a paper champion. Serra's resume at WW compared to Bisping's resume is night and day especially when you consider Mike fought known steroid cheats. Plus, like in boxing, you have eras where the guy who has the most alphabet titles isn't the best fighter in the division. However, that guy is generally top 3-5. I think that's Bisping's range. Serra even then...probably not a top 5-8 welterweight.  Plus, he fought a great fight against Rockhold in the 2nd fight. I give him credit.

I think both fights are interesting because as much as anyone would probably favor either over Bisping, it wouldn't shock me if Bisping won either. Romero takes rounds off and I've seen Whittaker have a not so impressive performance against Rafael Sapo only a year ago. All three guys can have vulnerable performances.

Anyway, how I figure it is since rankings are 90% opinion, you beat the best guy so you are the best guy in that division. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't know if he is a paper champion. Serra's resume at WW compared to Bisping's resume is night and day especially when you consider Mike fought known steroid cheats. Plus, like in boxing, you have eras where the guy who has the most alphabet titles isn't the best fighter in the division. However, that guy is generally top 3-5. I think that's Bisping's range. Serra even then...probably not a top 5-8 welterweight.  Plus, he fought a great fight against Rockhold in the 2nd fight. I give him credit.

I think both fights are interesting because as much as anyone would probably favor either over Bisping, it wouldn't shock me if Bisping won either. Romero takes rounds off and I've seen Whittaker have a not so impressive performance against Rafael Sapo only a year ago. All three guys can have vulnerable performances.

Bisping is a very good fighter, and could beat just about any top level middleweight on his best night.  He's not an easy win for anyone, but his ceiling is that 2nd Rockhold fight.  He fought as well as he possibly could and knocked out a fighter who is bigger, stronger, more skilled, and pretty much better than him at everything.  If they fought 10 times I think Rockhold wins at least 8 times.  If Bisping fought Romero, Jacare, Whitaker, Weidman, or Mousasi, I'd expect him to lose.  Any of those dudes at their ceiling is better than Bisping at his ceiling, but not so much that it is out of the realm of possibility for him to win.  He's just not as physically talented as any of those guys.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Bisping is a very good fighter, and could beat just about any top level middleweight on his best night.  He's not an easy win for anyone, but his ceiling is that 2nd Rockhold fight.  He fought as well as he possibly could and knocked out a fighter who is bigger, stronger, more skilled, and pretty much better than him at everything.  If they fought 10 times I think Rockhold wins at least 8 times.  If Bisping fought Romero, Jacare, Whitaker, Weidman, or Mousasi, I'd expect him to lose.  Any of those dudes at their ceiling is better than Bisping at his ceiling, but not so much that it is out of the realm of possibility for him to win.  He's just not as physically talented as any of those guys.

I think in MMA, having dynamic finishing ability is always going to get you the props other guys don't have. All those dudes you mentioned and adding others like even Brunson, Anderson, and probably a few others I'm forgetting have that ability. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be the victor in the end. Woodley vs. Wonderboy should be the best example of that. People thought Wonderboy was gonna smoke Woodley because he was the more dynamic fighter and finisher. Out of ten rounds against Woodley, he may have looked like that fighter for 1 1/2 to 2 rounds. So for eight minutes out of almost an hour, Stephen Thompson was the guy everybody was infatuated with. While I would favor plenty of people against Bisping, he is still on that level or else he wouldn't have been able to win the championship in that way.

Virna has a lot of hype in Brazil as being this awesome grappler. She's good on the ground, but she isn't the greatest athlete from the fights I've seen. Invicta is the best landing spot for her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Straight from the mouth of Dana White:

“(Yoel) doesn’t need to voice his opinion on why he needs a title shot. He definitely deserves a title shot. He’s next in line, he’s the No. 1 ranked guy in the world.”

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Straight from the mouth of Dana White:

No, I didn't mean Whittaker was next. I meant Bisping wasn't hot on fighting Romero but he has no problem fighting Whittaker. I already said Romero was the next in line. Please read and comprehend posts carefully before you add meaningless replies.

I am not sure if that's suppose to be a punishment fight for Gastelum or Weidman. Anyway, it would put away the silly notion that Weidman isn't willing to fight in NY post 210. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, I didn't mean Whittaker was next. I meant Bisping wasn't hot on fighting Romero but he has no problem fighting Whittaker. I already said Romero was the next in line. Please read and comprehend posts carefully before you add meaningless replies.

I was trying to reinforce that White and UFC believe he should fight Romero.  So they are saying Romero is the fight whether Bisping likes it or not.

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I was trying to reinforce that White and UFC believe he should fight Romero.  So they are saying Romero is the fight whether Bisping likes it or not.

That's not the case at all. Romero was the #1 contender, he stepped aside for GSP, and then he was number 1 contender after GSP couldn't make the deadline. That was the story. They don't have any animosity towards Michael Bisping, and it's very weird you would think that. Whether Romero fights Bisping will probably be finalized tomorrow or they will have to figure it out something in the near future whether it's Romero or Whittaker. Shit, they just called off this GSP fight in 25th hour so it would extremely weird to be offering someone who played no part in that fight falling apart an ultimatum. It would be also extremely weird for it to be interpreted that way.

FWIW the Summer kickoff presser before the 211 weigh-ins is set for 5:30 ET. I'm safely assume there will be news for both 213 and 214 as well as the TUF Finale and Fox card in Long Island.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

FWIW the Summer kickoff presser before the 211 weigh-ins is set for 5:30 ET. I'm safely assume there will be news for both 213 and 214 as well as the TUF Finale and Fox card in Long Island.

The presser hasn't even started yet and security had to seperate DC and JBJ.

BTW MJ vs. Gaethje is the TUF Redemption Finale headliner. Weidman vs. Gastelum is the Long Island headliner.

I'm guessing whatever the Bisping title fight ends up being on the Anaheim show.

I'm guessing Woodley headlines 213 against the Maia-Gamebred winner.