DVDVR Message Board

2016 NCAAF: WEEK 9

Dolfan in NYC

So Clemson survived FSU.  But Boise didn't survive Wyoming.

Which brings us to 5 unbeatens remaining.  One of them being Western Michigan.  Which means we have a nice, neat 4-team playoff field now:

Bama, Clemson, Michigan, Washington.

Of course, I think 2 of those teams will lose before November is done, which opens up the "who's the best 1-loss team" can of worms.

Western Michigan's still got a shot! I don't know at what, but they have the shot.

One prediction.

New Year's Six bowls
Cotton
Jan. 2, Arlington, TX
Western Michigan LSU At-large

1 hour ago, EVA said:

So Clemson survived FSU.  But Boise didn't survive Wyoming.

Which brings us to 5 unbeatens remaining.  One of them being Western Michigan.  Which means we have a nice, neat 4-team playoff field now:

Bama, Clemson, Michigan, Washington.

Of course, I think 2 of those teams will lose before November is done, which opens up the "who's the best 1-loss team" can of worms.

A one-loss Ohio State with wins over Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin and the B1G title game would seem a lock, if they can pull it off. Bama would probably still make it with a loss to Auburn or LSU, especially if they end up winning the SEC. 

If Michigan and Bama win out, but Clemson and Washington don't... There's gonna be debate.

Clemson and Washington have by far the easiest paths to the playoffs.  Clemson has no big games left on the schedule and will face a soft challenger from a weak division in the ACC title game.  Washington's only tough game left is Washington State (who Peterson has stomped every year he's been there), and then maybe they get a challenge in the form of a rematch with Utah in the Pac-12 title game...or maybe they get a gift opponent in an overachieving, but overmatched, Colorado team.

Michigan is playing a one game season at this point...but it's a big one.

Alabama has by far the toughest path, with a road trip to a resurgent LSU this week and the Iron Bowl against a hot Auburn team, plus a possible SEC title matchup against Florida.

31 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Louisville has a "better" loss than Ohio St.  By a wide margin.

True, but if they have wins over Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska (likely two other Wisconsin actually) their resume is going to be better than Louisville, who only really have one quality win.

Plus, Penn State has a very good chance to win out, so even the loss could be to a ten win, top twenty team.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

True, but if they have wins over Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska (likely two other Wisconsin actually) their resume is going to be better than Louisville, who only really have one quality win.

If Ohio St. wins the B1G with one loss there's no argument but as of right now I wouldn't place them ahead of Louisville, which doesn't technically mean anything. I think that Nebraska win is going to look less impressive as this year goes on. I don't think they're much.

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If Ohio St. wins the B1G with one loss there's no argument but as of right now I wouldn't place them ahead of Louisville, which doesn't technically mean anything. I think that Nebraska win is going to look less impressive as this year goes on. I don't think they're much.

I agree they aren't real great, but they are likely going to win 9 or 10 games, and outside Clemson and FSU, the ACC isn't exactly loaded with quality wins. Louisville barely beating Virginia is not a good look.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I agree they aren't real great, but they are likely going to win 9 or 10 games, and outside Clemson and FSU, the ACC isn't exactly loaded with quality wins. Louisville barely beating Virginia is not a good look.

Houston falling apart hurts. I wanted to see them unbeaten when Louisville plays them. Now they have two losses.