DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] JAPAN NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

So, nobody thinks Okada is worthy?  You guys are insane. 

I mentioned him but I'd be more than happy if his spot went to Kazuki Hashimoto or HASEGAWA.

Matt is missing out on some good fat wrestler action. Someone else can go bat for Akebono and Ryota Hama though.

I think Okada is kind of a total is greater than the sum of his parts type of wrestler.  If you look at everything he does in a match and analyze his selling, psychology, and what ever else it doesn't look like he's that great of a wrestler, but his matches are always good.  I know we overanalyze everything around here, but he wouldn't constantly be in really good to great matches if he wasn't really good to great himself.  I tend to like all of his matches, despite the fact that I feel l ike he should sell more and vary his offense based on his opponents limb work. 

This is a line of thinking I can't really get behind, but nonetheless I assure you most people's dislike of Okada has absolutely nothing to do with overanalysis.

Would you like to explain further, I don't really see why people dislike him like they do.

For some people it's that they think his offence looks weak. For some it's that they don't like his selling. For some it's that the modern New Japan "epic" formula doesn't interest them anymore after they've had the same exact matches for three years.

They wrestle in Japan?

Matt D, already trying to rile people up.

It's ok, though, I don't watch any Lucha outside of Lucha Underground, so it equals out.

I learned to love Honma last year through March Madness.

I promise that I will totally watch some Okabayashi, whatever the hell that is, if it gets nominated this year.

Hasn't Okabayashi been in the thing the last two years?  He's the lovechild of Barry Darsow.

Hasn't Okabayashi been in the thing the last two years?  He's the lovechild of Barry Darsow.

Yup

Last year vs. Ambrose

2014 vs. (to tie other discussion together) Okada

I'd like to nominate Fujiwara. I mean he's got 4 super fun matches from the last few months alone. He worked almost 15 matches in the time period. And he's never been in one of these before and he isn't getting any younger. Come on.

First, the New Japan:

Shinsuke Nakamura (who just had a brilliant year, full of great, entertaining matches), Kazuchika Okada (ditto, and carried Tenryu to an okay match in 2015), Katsuyori Shibata (saddled with Goto for much of the year - I'm not a fan - but had some great G1 matches and the NEVER run will be glorious), Tomohiro Ishii (made the NEVER title his own in a series of BRUTAL matches), Kenny Omega (more than ready to be the next AJ Styles).

From Big Japan:

Oh, Daisuke Sekimoto has to be in, because he's all kinds of hard-hitting aces. Ditto for Yuji Okabayashi.

And from DDT:

This has been a great year for Danshoku Dino, and stop laughing at the back. He's still finding new ways to be disgustingly entertaining in 2015.