DVDVR Message Board

I watched a kung fu film called "The Magnificent" last night. 

Carter Wong's final words are "The genitals!"  Everything in the film leads to that.
Everything. Leads. To. That.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So Exterminator 2 of course was pure trash. It was a Cannon Film, after all. Apparently they had huge production woes, like as in they couldn't even figure out who to name the main villain (Mario Van Peebles!) so they just called him X. Not only that but they didn't have Robert Ginty for reshoots that were moved from New York to LA so they had to hide his face behind the mask even more and even had to import a garbage truck to LA. Anyway, it's got lots of people set on fire, Frankie Faison shows up as a grinning trashman/war vet who helps Ginty's extermination, and Peebles plays a Warriors ripoff hood leader very very broadly. Sadly, it's no Death Wish 3. 

I downloaded the first one so I'll let you know what that's like later. 

Yeah, that looks about ten times cooler.

The Exterminator was incredible, and that shit was NOT what I expected. Comparing it to its sequel is like doing the same to an Italian dinner and a Hot Pocket out of the microwave. This one is the total gritty, balls-out '70s/early '80s shit, like Rolling Thunder or Vice Squad or -- its obvious influences -- Death Wish, Taxi Driver, and the subsequent First Blood. It starts out with a Nam flashback where somebody incredulously gets decapitated from what seems like a throat slitting at first so you immediately know what you're in for. Robert Ginty was before my time, I guess he was in Falcon Crest and CHiPs and was also in Bound for Glory and Coming Home, but as a face I didn't recognize him. He plays a great role here though as a returning vet who has his best friend paralyzed by a street gang and decides to go Bronson on everyone, including mobsters and chickenhawks. So, we get into some real down and dirty, nasty stuff like a sicko burning a hooker with a curling iron (thankfully implied instead of shown) which is responded to with mercury-filled bullets and lighter fluid burnings. There is actually no flamethrower murders in the film though Ginty threatens a guy with it in one scene. The other half of the story is the great Christopher George, one of my favorites in The Gates of Hell and Pieces, as the also-Nam-vet cop charged with chasing the Exterminator down, while the CIA (!) tries to also find and cut down Ginty to the benefit of a president during an election year... hmmm... Anyway, both leads prove themselves to be no angels as Ginty picks up a prostitute and George screws his doctor girlfriend in her hospital during her shift, so there's a fair bit of gravitas here. It also features George cooking a hot dog by sticking two forks in either end of it while it's jury rigged to a light socket. Yeah... so you should watch this. 

Also, Christopher George had one hell of a life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_George