DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

All the join screens ever say is that there's a time limit - it never says how long.

I played one user-created Capture, but I swear, I can't remember anything about it except that it wasn't good but it wasn't necessarily bad. It was the very definition of "no vote."

I don't like the airport one, because I'd get on a luggage mover and make it about 10 seconds before an opponent would enter the area. So I'd have to stop and try to shoot the opponent. If I did, he'd either respawn near me or some other opponent would come in to the same area, and i'd have to try to shoot him. I never made any forward progress.

The one in the farm near the non-Trevor airfield in the northern part of the map is cool, as is one in Lester's neighborhood. 

I really hate the capture at the canals.

The only one i sort of like ld was the one in the mountains

That maye have also been the first one i did.

You mean the "raid the other team's weed farm" one where Fresh called in heli support and you called in the airstrike?  Yep, that was the first one we ever played.

I seem to recall the ridicule of me and Fresh wearing matching leather jackets and looking like a pro wrestling tag-team ending when we started shooting people in the head and making off with product.

I meant the one where were riding thru the mountain tunnels on motorcycles. I think it was me and JT vs dan and fresh.

I've really developed a hatred for that one.  I'd be fine with it, but I get sick of driving the motorcycle over every time I get killed.

Been playing Captures all afternoon for something different. Man, they're paying a lot right now. My team won one Capture, with me being absolutely no help whatsoever, and I got $22,000 and 5,000 RP.

I don't like them, though, because it's pretty much a matter of luck - if there's enough people in the game, it becomes a matter of some people rushing the other team's base, getting killed, going back to the start, going all the way back to the other team's base, getting killed, going back to the start, etc. It's funner if you're defending your base, but everyone can't do that.

Problem is, everyone not defending the base is like a lamb being led to the slaughter by whatever it is you're supposed to be picking up. Even if you do manage to kill a few of the other team's guys guarding their drugs/briefcases/whatever, they're gonna spawn right back there and get the jump on you, kill you and send you back to the start.

That's exactly what I don't like about a lot of the captures.  You spend more time driving over to the action than actually involved in it.  Some of the Rockstar ones have this problem.  I think it's because of the different types of capture mission design.  Some types you spawn back at your base, some you respawn near where you died.  I just don't know which type does what.  I like the one where you steal buses, and the one where you steal postal trucks, because those two spawn you right back in the action.

Did one last night with 3 or 4 teams situated around the Alamo Sea, where you have to raid the other team's bases.  I tried once, got killed immediately by guys who could auto-target, while I could not on a jetski, and punted.  I hung out at my base, took out a few guys that came too close, then spent the rest of the match sniping people off of jetskis at long range.  I guess the game rewards you for long shots with a sniper rifle, because I think I got 700 RP for one kill. 

One thing that would make captures better would be if your team was in a party chat. At least that way you could maintain some form of communication on who is going to do what.

I meant the one where were riding thru the mountain tunnels on motorcycles. I think it was me and JT vs dan and fresh.

I've really developed a hatred for that one. I'd be fine with it, but I get sick of driving the motorcycle over every time I get killed.

I actually climbed around the mountain on foot trying to be sneaky, but ended up being shot by someone when i got to the suitcase.

Yeah - the Buses was probably the only one I enjoyed. And a big part of that is that it is a small enough map that you can actually play defense on it. Basically it's not folks taking turns delivering shit (like that fucking tractor one)

I hate Hate HATE the one that you spawn on top of the mountain, drive down the mountain on a motorcycle (and usually die) and then slaughter all the guys just so you can start going back up the mountain. Grr...

I hate Hate HATE the one that you spawn on top of the mountain, drive down the mountain on a motorcycle (and usually die) and then slaughter all the guys just so you can start going back up the mountain. Grr...

I hated it because we played with four guys so we only had two guys on a team and it sucked.  Any Capture match with two teams of less than four players per side is worthless.

I hated it because we played with four guys so we only had two guys on a team and it sucked.  Any Capture match with two teams of less than four players per side is worthless.

I dunno, I think I would almost prefer them because teams can't have a bunch of people sit around their suitcases and wait for the other team to come get them. With six total players (3 per side), you might be able to have one person play defense and two play offense and go after the other team's case. You might actually stand a chance of delivering some cases instead of every match ending (like it did today for me) with one team getting a lucky "goal" and then time expiring and that team winning 1-0.

I've really developed a hatred for that one. I'd be fine with it, but I get sick of driving the motorcycle over every time I get killed.

I actually climbed around the mountain on foot trying to be sneaky, but ended up being shot by someone when i got to the suitcase.

I tried that two once.  I managed to take out two or 3 guys who were looking in the wrong direction, and got a case, but then the respwaned guys got me before I could get out of there.

Yeah - the Buses was probably the only one I enjoyed. And a big part of that is that it is a small enough map that you can actually play defense on it. Basically it's not folks taking turns delivering shit (like that fucking tractor one)

A lot of the captures suffer from variations of what's wrong with the motorcycle one.  Every user created capture I've tried has had that problem.

Captures that involve using vehciles are ultimately self defeating since there is no real advanatage to being in a vehicle without someone riding shotgun, and even then Sticky Bombs and Grenade Launchers are the grand equalizer that allows you to take ot multiple enemies without too much risk.

That's right, the user-created one I played today was in Sandy Shores, and the dude who created it put in every kind of Super car he possibly could so you could go roughly two blocks down the street. For some reason, I found that hilarious.

I spawned once already in one of the Supers, but the back wheel was up on a huge rock and the car was going nowhere. OK ... 

They're an OK idea, maybe, but they need some sort of big revision. The game needs to somehow eliminate the concept of people being on defense - everyone participating in the capture should be on the attack at all times. If the two teams cross paths as they're attacking, that's OK, but the concept of three or four guys sitting back at home base waiting for people to come through gets old because it's like we've said:

A. Drive vehicle to other team's base

B. Get killed by three guys waiting for you.

C. Respawn back at your base.

D. Repeat from step A.

They need to combine ideas to make Robert happy and make all the Captures melee-only. Actually, someone would've cooked that up by now if they could - "Prison Thugz Fight: The Capture" - the Thugz fight to retrieve briefcases filled with files so they can saw their way through the bars after lights out.

My terminally stupid random idea I wish Rockstar would do before I die? Occasional random attacks on downtown Los Santos by Godzilla. Godzilla would be like a freakin' super tank, but completely computer-controlled. He'd crush tanks, bat jets out of the air. I'd like to see a whole room have to drop what they're doing and actually collaborate on something for a while - killing Godzilla. Then they can go back to shooting each other. 

Last nights theme was "If momma ain't happy, no one is."

I had to quit out of most of the early evening festivities because my girlfriend was unhappy about the computation of the proceeds of sale on her house because the buyers could've added an additional $3K to their offer. 

I was like. "You made a profit on the sale, paid off some debts, and the new owners are stuck with the shitty plumbing.  Drink from the cup that is half full, dammit."

The evening started with Mark & me goofing off and then Rippa and CSC jumped online.  Mark won a deathmatch at the derelict hotel in Sandy Shores but I outlasted the pack in the Strawberry projects gunfight.

Melraz and Robert hopped on later and everyone played on some map where the default weapon was an assault rifle. By the time I got back from ministering to my woman, Rippa, Mark and CSC bounced out.  Robert, Melraz and I decided to go an empty some random room of players, but the quality of opposition was low.  Most guys fled once they got down a few deaths. 

Some poor bastard tried to swim to safety while we were standing on the beach with scoped rifles.

Melraz had to tap out while he, Robert and I were terrorizing players in free mode because his wife was not feeling well.  The women come first, man.  Take care of them and they don't mess with you later on while you are gaming.

I got the last 3 deathmatch kills I needed for the Death Toll medal and the melting skull tattoo.  I am about three sniper rifle kills away from the Scoped Out platinum medal & broken skull tattoo and one bounty away from the Bounty Killer platinum medal and tattoo.

I tried to collect my last bounty this morning before work, but some Rank 50 asshole started shooting at me when I was zeroing in on my quarry with my Heavy Sniper and double up the stats.  By the time I shot the Rank 50 dude enough times to make him beg off, the player with the bounty left the server.

I should have stayed on playing instead of watching stupid RAW

Either I have done all the land races or the game really really really really really really wants me to do captures

Stupid menu screens

The important question for JT is:

Did the two blonde Jehovan's Witnesses ever come back?

:)

Shhh!

In actual GTA 5 news, the devs are reviewing the unintended change to fire trucks in Online mode to see if they will patch them so that water cannons work again.  For those that don't haunt free mode. fire truck water cannons are used to kill players in passive mode.  

Normally, I would jump in and defend the passive mode player since it is the primary defense mechanism a lowbie has against griefers but since most tank and buzzard rampagers use passive mode to avoid the wrath of their former targets and wait out the timers to reuse their Pegasus delivery vehicles, I fully support fixing fire trucks to deal with these assholes.

I myself have used a fire truck to dispense justice once or twice.

At least they were cute college-aged females and they were dressed nicely.   Though my jean shorts only policy is appropriate for the UPS delivery dude and taking out the trash, I probably shoulda put on a shirt when I answered the door for the ladies armed with their copies of the Watchtower.

I am happy that no one called the cops or filed charges.

Usually when God sends people to my door to save my soul, it is a trio of gentlemen from the Church of Jesus Christ & Latter Day Saints. 

Mormons always show up to my crib when I am gaming and I am all WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT~!?

i will probably end up in Hell for those nights.