DVDVR Message Board

JULY! is THE MONTH OF METAL DISCOVERY! here at the DVDVRMB

DEAN

I don't get Tom's beanie. Hiding a bald spot?

Anyway, JAPAN. This is really awesome if you have a taste for absurdly melodramatic Engrish vocals over the top of prime Kai Hansen-era Helloween style power metal. Could be a perfect fit for a major puro wrestler theme. 

...and they did a song about freakin' Sam Raimi's Darkman!

Sigh are absolutely brilliant. A black metal band obsessed with Venom and old thrash, but also obsessed with Stravinsky/Shostokovich style modern classical, Japanese occultism, and basically throwing everything plus the kitchen sink into their compositions. That's as close as I can get to describing them. 

Sabbat are an incredibly divisive band because they just have that absurd Japanese thing going for them with weird/bad vocals (the shriek of Temis Osmond on the songs where he takes the mic will upset your animals) and a semi-amateurish feel at times, but they compose some amazing stuff. And the legendary Gezol is totally unafraid to wear that damn leather thong onstage.

• Like 1

Gezol from Sabbat's side project Metalucifer is equally killer in a total NWOBHM fashion. This is the same song as above done Metalucifer style. I saw them live years ago and Gezol stage-dove right on my head. It was a great moment in my life. 

I don't get Tom's beanie. Hiding a bald spot?

Probably. He's been rocking it since Triptykon started in basically every shot of them I can find.

I don't care. He's the voice of the devil. He's alright. Goetia might be my favourite metal track of this decade.

Dammit, I used to have that Angel Witch shirt the guitarist is wearing (funny, that came up in conversation the other day on Facebook with some other guys that also had one of them and now I see it here). Not like I could fit into it these days...

I love this album so so much. Frenzied as well as doom-ridden. Go look them up in Google image search to see what they dress like. I've been there live and seen it. How you perform with 60 pounds of nails, spikes and leather hanging on you, and still stay standing, I have no idea. The singer and bass player are the infamous Hardrock Broderna, twin brothers who are the biggest Iron Maiden fans and collectors in the world. 

For something a little lighter but just as awesome, I was reminded today by a big fan about how great this album is. Riot had many eras through their career (and continue to, RIP Mark Reale) and this is one I'm least familiar with and need to delve into deeper. "Angel Eyes" is a stunner. (PS this is a playlist video and the whole album will play through if you let it)

Sounding way better than that Poison Apple album.  Back to that super heavy shit with trippy I Am The Walrus VOX.

Now that's what I call a Manson fixation.

I don't know who posted this before in the metal thread but they deserve some kudos; I finally got around to listening to it and it's almost as good as its album cover. Watch out for those lyrics though because they will seriously creep you out. I advise not looking them up at all honestly. The only other lyrics that have disturbed me as much are the ones to Dead Infection's A Chapter of Accidents. 

This was recommended to me last night and is pretty good also. I need to give it a couple more listens though.

EDIT: I also got ahold of this to continue my mind's Riotization. Mike DiMeo is certainly no Guy Speranza or Rhett Forrester (goddamn, how many people have died in this band?!) but he's decent enough. Meanwhile, Bobby Jarzombek absolutely rips it on the cans. 

• Like 1

This was recommended to me last night and is pretty good also. I need to give it a couple more listens though.

Soooo Celtic Frostish.

And yet even MORE.

And more yammering in Swedish.  I dig the simplicity.

• Like 1

Since I've already gone through a couple of the bands I'm obsessed with in metal this month -- Nifelheim, Sabbat, Riot, etc. -- and we only have two days left I'll knock a couple others off the list. 

Root is a Czech black metal band with an exceptionally strange and varied discography. They started back in the '80s with a different singer, Dr. Fe, who went on to start his own band Amon (at one time Amon Goeth. yeah that name didn't stick around). He was replaced by a guy named Big Boss who is one of the weirdest and most dynamic singers in metal, having a huge tequila-soaked, cigarette-scarred baritone and an array of disgusting growls to boot. They started as some seriously morbid and fast black thrash as seen here. That demented laughter and the speed of the riffing when it kicks in...

After their debut Zjeveni, they put out their second album Hell Symphony which I think I've talked about here before and was quite a quantum leap in atmosphere and songwriting. It remains my favorite black metal album of all time. BTW, if you think black metal sounds just like whatever Norway put out, this should prove that isn't the case, and that regional styles are far different. 

Their third album, The Temple in the Underworld, was where they really went left-field (as if they weren't already) with an almost alt-rock vibe mixing in with their style and Boss' singing much more melodic... well, on some songs. 

They've continued on through the years with many and varied albums, mixing old styles with their more melodic sense, some stuff hitting the mark and some not (Daimon Viam Invenient is almost Atheist-like with its prog influences and that fell flat with me). But they still have done some amazing stuff and continue to. 

• Like 1

Not sure if metal:

But I loves it.  Great to listen to while writing complex legal briefs about subjects you don't want to know about!

That gets all beautiful around the 4:45 mark.