DVDVR Message Board

WWE Match of the Year - 2014

Niners Fan in CT

Tyson Kidd is my worker of the year, but honestly, I don't think I'd put any of his matches in my top ten. That Zayn/Kidd match Gregg just mentioned that I don't remember the date of is really quite good and would probably be the best Kidd match I've seen in 2014. Kidd was just consistently awesome in every way and has come into his own as a overconfident heel. 

Plus, his celebration after winning a tag match by pushing Zayn into Nattie followed by his abrupt switch to a totally bullshit concerned face was maybe the funniest thing I've seen on WWE television this year. That and him leaving the Fatal Fourway interview before Takeover II by saying that he was going to check on his cats and then telling everyone "God Bless" angrily as they tried to fire back at him were the best. 

RE: That lumberjack match, I really hated it on the first viewing. I might watch it again at some point, but as someone who believes that the point of a lumberjack match is sullied when half the match takes place outside of the ring, I'll probably not be too big a fan of it. I know, the point was that not even lumberjacks could contain Ambrose's special brand of combined hatred and craziness, but it didn't work at all for me. 

Funniest segment of the year was Bo Dallas trying to get back into Full Sail University. Bo's ascent into comedy heeldom (yet being perfect as a champion) was wonderful to watch. Bo attempting to ape The Yes Movement, his PowerPoint presentation of his world travels and attempting to become "America's Sweetheart" were also A+++++++++.

But, yes, Tyson as the Beats-wearing toolbag is really wonderful work. I went from really not caring about him/being bored to death by him (he was good in-ring) to absolutely loving him.

Yeah, Bo Dallas getting confused and looping back around in a circle right to where the guards already were was some great physical comedy. I wrongfully forgot about that one.

Between breaking up The Shield, de-emphasing Cesaro, and the D-Bry injury, this year has definitely not been as solid overall as last year.

But that's kind of unfair, since 2013 was quite possibly the best in-ring year in WWE history.

• Like 1

Barrett was on a roll as well before his injury. They've had some bad luck this year, but it's still been a pretty damn good in ring year. I think Rollins may be my favorite in ring guy right now, and I expect him to put in a performance of the year candidate at hitc. Every gimmick match he's been in he's been aces.

• Like 1

Before the recent discussion, Charlotte/Natalya somehow slipped my mind in my earlier post. Guess I wasn't thinking about NXT. But that might be my favorite match of the year, loved it. Definitely in my top 3 with Cena/Cesaro and Usos/Wyatts.