DVDVR Message Board

Co-oping Toward Hatred

Big Fresh

Johnny Vinyl and Scott Charboneau discuss the latest shenanigans regarding Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's "Augment Your Preorder" insanity! Will our heroes side with gamers? Or will they side with Square-Enix? The issue gets settled, once and for all, by us. Until you guys fight about it again. Dicks.

Do all the YouTube BS: Like, Subscribe, Comment, Share, Send us your eldest child

Follow Co-oping Toward Hatred on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CoopingHatred

• Like 1

Rainbow Six Siege has revealed they will only launch with 11 maps, but will have free DLC maps later. For a game with no campaign, is this acceptable? Johnny Vinyl and Scott Charboneau break down the situation and give you their verdicts. And make dick jokes.

Do all the YouTube BS: Like, Subscribe, Comment, Share, Send us your eldest child

Everyone else's head wobbles. But Brock's head don't wobble.

Are you going to do a video about how everyone pissed off that, if you bought Destiny when it came out a year ago, it cost you £40, and then it was another £20 for House of Wolves and the other expansion, and now it's another £40 for the Taken King... or you could have ignored the game's existance for a year and then got all of that stuff together in the new Legendary edition... for £42 now.

Which leads me to question, right, people compare games to movies and talk about how GTA made more money than Batman or whatever, but has there been (or will there be) a videogame equivalent of Heaven's Gate - something that goes over budget by loads and is so bad it makes no money and takes down a major studio because it failed so much. And does Destiny (or anything else) deserve to be that game?

• Like 1

Brock isn't a Bobble-head.

Damnit, we absolutely should have done our first video about Destiny. What was I thinking? It's probably too late now. It was borderline too late to do Deus Ex, but we just wanted to get started with something.

I'm sure the next expansion will piss people off all over again.

Movies are a bit different from games, I think, because in games you have two chances to make something worth playing: gameplay and story. In movies, if your story sucks, you movie sucks. But in games, you could have EITHER great gameplay or a great story and it's worth your time (true classics like Mass Effect 2 and The Last of Us have both).

So it's harder for a game with a good budget to be a COMPLETE disaster.

Which leads me to question, right, people compare games to movies and talk about how GTA made more money than Batman or whatever, but has there been (or will there be) a videogame equivalent of Heaven's Gate - something that goes over budget by loads and is so bad it makes no money and takes down a major studio because it failed so much. And does Destiny (or anything else) deserve to be that game?

Advent Rising was this game, and given that it was written by Orson Scott Card, yes, it deserved to be that game. There was so much money spent believing this was going to be the new trilogy of lore, the future of video games, that when the first game blew chunks it took Majesco out of major publishing for about a decade.

• 2 weeks later...

Activision has revealed there will no tradional campaign mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops III for last-gen consoles! Is their $10 price cut for these versions enough to make this acceptable? Do gamers ever care? Johnny Vinyl and Scott Charboneau break down the situation.

Deathmatch play is what sells FPS games, so I am not entirely sour on the idea of CoD: BO3 not having campaign mode.  

If you've been playing those sorts of games all along, you don't need campaign mode to re-teach you how to fucking shoot people. 

Now the reasons they give for not including campaign mode?  LAME~!  That shit is just lazy and cheap.  

I'd respect them more if they just said "We don't have the money for previous gen port production, nor do we have the server capacity to host anything other than current gen multiplayer."  That is honest and understandable.  We're not talking about a company like Bungie that has hundreds of millions of dollars to burn on production and infrastructure to support previous and current gen gameplay.

• Like 1

Johnny Vinyl & the Bear attempt to play a co-op mission in Uncharted 3 as a way to tune-up for the Uncharted Collection! But instead bitch about the screen they're playing on, fight about if IGN gets paid off for reviews (they don't; Bear is an idiot), and confuse Die Hard with Speed.

Johnny Vinyl & the Bear attempt to play the beta of Star Wars: Battlefront. They play the co-op Survival mode and Bear plays a multiplayer Walker Assault fight on Hoth! However, Johnny is tired and doesn't like the game much, Bear makes up a bunch of Star Wars vehicles, but eventually does find a vehicle of his own.

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh is posting videos on the youtube and then not adding them on the board? Huh?

EDIT: He's not posting anything else for a few days, I'm guessing he's suspended.

• 2 months later...

Woah boy, there's a lot to catch up on. First off, We now have a Facebook page! Which is actually a much better way to keep up with us than our Twitter. Give it a "Like" at http://facebook.com/CoopingTowardHatred

We hit 200 subscribers today! If you haven't joined the party, now is a good time. Now, for the videos.... Some of these won't be super relevent anymore, but whatever, good content is good content. Also, we got Pop Filters for "Gamers Gotta Whine" and windscreen for "Co-oping Toward Hatred", so our audio quality should be much better.

An Unboxing and first test of the Steam Link and Steam Controller:

Let's Play: Rainbow Six Siege beta:

Gamers Gotta Whine: Friday the 13th, Shenmue III, and Kickstarting of Games (this inspired one of the developers of Friday the 13th to mock our number of views)

Let's Play: Call of Duty Black Ops III - Zombies

Gamers Gotta Whine: Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity - Did XBox do something shady?

The main note I got from this is they are making Dead or Alive Xtreme 3, and it's my favorite Volleyball game ever (just ahead of Outlaw Volleyball) and I want it now.

And welcome back.

You gotta import it. Not getting an official American release. Was it because of poor sales or "Social Justice Warriors"??? Click on that play button to find out! And tell your friends!

Like I said on YouTube, not selling DOA X3 in the states was a very good business decision.  When I worked at Gamestop, I recall that the first title really didn't sell all that well.  Seriously, who the fuck regularly plays volleyball games anyway? 

It is a game about tits and everyone knows it.  Furthermore, it is the game where you can ogle your favorite DOA virtual girl without the hassle of displaying your shitty fighting game stylings in a real DOA game and being unable to unlock new outfits to dress your favorite DOA virtual girl in, because your combo skills suck and you repeatedly get your ass beat.

No need to waste precious marketing dollars or press new copies for shipping to the US for a title that will only satisfy a niche of the population when word of mouth and import channels will suffice.

If it is an ogling of virtual boobies point of contention, there are far better (or worse) places on the internet where a creepy, lonely jackanape with a laptop and relationship issues can do that sort of thing for absolutely free so no need to import this dumb game.

Gamers be whinin'.