DVDVR Message Board

E3 2014.

Yet another game debuting on PS4 is up next - No Man's Sky.  Looks like some kind of epic adventure game featuring super-colored environments, futuristic spaceship flying and combat - and dinosaurs.  You can fly from one planet to another and it seamlessly switches to ground view when you enter that planet's atmosphere.  Very cool.  The universe is "infinite" and every user gets a different experience apparently.  The founder of the developer, Hello Games, intros another trailer and he's obviously nervous and overwhelmed at the setting.  I'm getting a vibe of Elite from this game.  This one could be really, really amazing if it lives up to its promise.

• Like 1

Now they're talking about the Playstation Camera and take a shot at Microsoft by emphasizing that it was "optional" from the get-go, which generates a lot of laughter from the crowd.

They talk about Project Morpheus, their VR headset deal but show nothing, since you can't really do a VR demo on stage.  Go to their booth, yo.

And now the new title from the makers of Journey, the IGN GOTY for 2012.  I didn't like it but whatever.  Anyway, this one looks to be some kind of underwater adventure, again with fantastic sound.  Last-gen graphics though.  Title is Abzu.  I might give this one a try if they do a demo for it.  

I always thought naming Journey game of the year was like calling a one-legged, burn victim with a glass eye Miss America.  She could be the best looking one-legged, burn victim with a glass eyed woman in the world, but we're judging her against women with two legs, no burns and both eyes.  Judging them against each other really isn't fair.  With that said, I liked Journey.  I can't call a game that is basically 4 hours of running in sand the game of the year.

• Like 1

Now we've got Sean Layden, the head of SCEA on-stage.  He's talking about PSN and boring us with a bunch of stats and then....hey, sharing on Youtube!  WHOOOOOOO.  About freaking time!

All I care out of this is that Grim Fandango ends up on PC. Who the hell with young kids has a console anymore? We're in a whole new world here. 

Psssst...it's already on PC.  15 years ago :)

• Like 1

More boring stuff from Layden talking about sharing and creating "sets" for your game broadcasts.  Neat but not exciting.

Now we get a trailer for a whole bunch of free-to-play Playstation games, including newly-released War Thunder, My Singing Monsters and a bunch of others.  Lots of fun stuff to be seen here.

Now he's talking about Playstation Now and announces an open beta starting July 31.  And announces it's coming to PS Vita and PS3 as well.

And announces some kind of serivce, which gives you Playstation Now without owning a Playstation.  Not clear if this works with any TV or if you need a Sony-branded one or what.  This will sell to like 50 people, tops.

And now he's talking about Remote Play on the Vita and PS4.  Says there's 100+ titles under development for PS Vita, including Minecraft.  

And now Playstation TV, which is basically an Apple TV but with lots of Playstation games or something.  $99 for this.  This could be cool.  Need to hear more though.

And now he introduces the gameplay trailer for Mortal Combat X.  I remain unimpressed the second time seeing this.  It IS really pretty though.

Back to the original Sony guy and he introduces original TV show Powers.  Don't give a rip about this.

Wait, it's free with PS+?  Might give it a try but...yeah, still don't give a rip.

Back to the games, with a trailer for the PS4 version of The Last of Us.  I thought the PS3 version stunk.  Making it prettier doesn't thrill me even if everybody else loves it.  Now if they'd just make it free on PS+, I'd give it another shot since Bix keeps telling me I'm crazy for not liking it.

And now a trailer for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.  I have no idea what's going on in this trailer with the main guy wiping somebody's ashes on his face.  I haven't played an MGS game since the first one.  This LOOKS great, I'll give it that much.

And now the trailer for GTA5.  And they're letting you bring online progress from 360 & PS3 over to the PS4.  Guess we'll forgive Rockstar for lying about working on next-gen versions of this game.

And now a trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight.  Amazing-looking graphics for this third person beat 'em up.  I'm sure this one will be a huge seller.  WIsh I'd liked the first game in the series.

And they wrap up the press conference with Uncharted 4.  As expected, this looks AMAZING.  Just the "Naughty Dog" logo in the trailer gets a huge ovation from the crowd.  Seeing Nathan Drake gets another.  It's next-gen Uncharted.  This game will sell 500000000000000 copies and it'll be incredible.  And good god, it's already the best-looking game ever.  Naughty Dog just operates on another level from everybody else.

Sony's press conference was incredible.  They showed a ton of games, including lots of new IP, and a whole bunch of GREAT looking games.  All kinds of PS4 exclusives and "first on PS4" content.

That said, if you're a PS3 owner, this was a bad press conference for you.  There were hardly any mentions of the system at all, let alone actual games or content for it.  That's bad news for PS3 owners.  But if you're a PS4 owner?  Hooo boy, lots to be excited about! 

Did Sony hit a grand slam with this one?  Nah.  But a 3-run homer off Mariano Rivera ain't bad either.