DVDVR Message Board

E3 2014.

The Mii fighters in Smash Brothers is kinda cool. I know my kid will get a kick out of using her Mii or the one she made of her Grandpa.

Upon further review the Devils Third looks pretty bad. I'm sure there will be some cool ways to kill and some camp but it looks like an early PS3 game.

So, no Fallout 4 I take it? Still, there is a large list of games I want, so I'm in no rush. The five minutes of actual gameplay of Far Cry 4 looked really neat. I just hope they don't want us to murder elephants to make an ivory handle for a fucking knife or something.

Alien: Isolation looks like it could finally be the Alien game we've been waiting for. Love the retro feel of the Nostromo.

A game that hasn't been talked about too much on here from what I've seen that I'm excited for is Evolve. The layout should make for some great multiplayer experiences.

I'm in a shitty mood, so lemme preface just by saying that.

Anyway, I'm a day late but firing up the Sony presser so just pretend I was saying all this stuff at 6pm PDT last night...

So, uh, yeah...Destiny looks pretty awesome.  Kinda feels like a Borderlands, only set in space.  I won't buy it until it's half-price but it looks great.

Cuz a beta just isn't enough, there's a PS4-exclusive alpha.

And, hey, a WHITE PS4 Destiny bundle releasing on September 9.  Dreamcast Day, FTW, yo.

And lots of reminders that PS4 games look better than the other guys.

And next we get a long gameplay trailer for...The Order: 1886.  Hey look, it's Next of Us with Civil War-looking dudes and higher resolution.  Am sure that's a crowd pleasure but not so much for me.

And now we get a short teaser for Entwined, followed by a live gameplay demo on stage.  Game is the first from a studio made up of brand new graduates from a couple game development programs.  You control two characters simultaneously in some kind of low-res polygon environment that kind of looks like Panzer Dragoon with a bit of a Nights.  The developers were obviously nervous and their demo and presentation were terrible.  Looks like a possibly fun game but the demo sure didn't sell it.  And, hey, it's for sale RIGHT NOW!

That leads into a trailer for the DLC for Infamous: Second Son - First Light.  I'm sure it'll be great.  Ya know, I need to buy this someday.

Next up is Little Big Planet 3, which gets a loud ovation before anything is even shown.  They're showing the PS4 version and it's really pretty.  They're doing a gameplay demo and...struggling with the controls.  That's never a good sign.  Personally, I don't like the LBP games but that's just me.  Everybody else does.  Audio problems with the presentation, same as the Entwined guys had.  They're doing a 4-player co-op thing and I suppose that's fun.  This game just does nothing for me.

And next we get a long gameplay trailer for...The Order: 1886. Hey look, it's Next of Us with Civil War-looking dudes and higher resolution. Am sure that's a crowd pleasure but not so much for me.

What's funny is that I heard several people making similar statements about The Division (the Last of Us part not the Civil War part)

Since I'm interested in both games maybe I will like Last of Us.

• Like 1

And now we get a trailer for Bloodborne, a new IP by From Software.  Looks like a dark, London-esque setting with vampires and zombies or something.  3rd person action title, I think, featuring an an ax-wielding protagonist.

And now we get another presentation on Far Cry 4.  This one's different than the "first 5 minutes" Ubisoft showed us during their presser.  This is a gameplay trailer.  The environments are incredible, I'll give 'em that much.  This is a freaking gorgeous game.  How have I never played a Far Cry before?  I've got #2 sitting in my cabinet, unplayed.  Hey, look, co-op!  And a gyrocopter!  And elephants!  Gotta say, this looks like a lot of fun.

And you can have PSN friends that don't own the game - on either PS3 or PS4 - join you in co-op.

And next we get a long gameplay trailer for...The Order: 1886. Hey look, it's Next of Us with Civil War-looking dudes and higher resolution. Am sure that's a crowd pleasure but not so much for me.

What's funny is that I heard several people making similar statements about The Division (the Last of Us part not the Civil War part)

Since I'm interested in both games maybe I will like Last of Us.

I didn't get a Last of Us vibe from The Division.  

Up next is a trailer for Dead Island 2 with a humorous take on a jogger turning into a zombie.  I hold no hope for this game - we all remember the awesome trailer for the first game and how it failed to deliver.

About Dead Island 2, it's weird that both it and Dying Light are coming out within months of each other. I think Dying Light looks like it could be heck of fun, but will probably give Dead Island 2 a shot too eventually.

Now we get a new "gameplay" trailer for Battlefield Hardline that features........no gameplay.  Guess Sony is learning from EA in that regard.

And next we get a long gameplay trailer for...The Order: 1886.  Hey look, it's Next of Us with Civil War-looking dudes and higher resolution.  Am sure that's a crowd pleasure but not so much for me.

I was really pumped for The Order last year, but it has been delayed so many times, and all of the "hands on" previews have made the project sound like a disaster.

It could be a fun game to experiment with as a PS+ game some day I guess.

And now a PS4-exclusive title from Paradox called Magicka 2.  Looks like maybe a humorous action RPG a la Diablo.  The trailer is hilarious.  Well-done.

And now a funny intro announcing the return of Grim Fandango, which elicits a huge response from the audience.  This will be a PS4/Vita exclusive.  Grim Fandango was hugely popular with the critics 15 years ago.  Don't care about it myself but this should be a decent-sized hit.

And now a trailer for Devolver's titles, like Bro Force, which is a pixellated action game a la Metal Slug, Titan Souls, which is a pixellated top-down RPG-looking thing like maybe a Zelda style, Not a Hero, which is a pixellated exact copy of Elevator Action, Hotline Miami Wrong Number, which is a continuation of the super violent pixellated terrible first game in the series, and The Talos Principle, which is a NOT-pixellated "philosophical puzzler" from Croteam.  Not gonna lie, these games universally look terrible.

• Like 1

Up next is another PS4-exclusive, this one from Suda 51, entitled Let it Die.  Yet another super-dark, 3rd person action title with tons of violence and zombies or something.  Great graphics, boring premise.  

Hey developers, I didn't spend $400 on a new console so I could see games in 50 billion shades of gray and brown, ok?

And now the new title from the makers of Journey, the IGN GOTY for 2012.  I didn't like it but whatever.  Anyway, this one looks to be some kind of underwater adventure, again with fantastic sound.  Last-gen graphics though.  Title is Abzu.  I might give this one a try if they do a demo for it.