DVDVR Message Board

Pages, Panels, Pin-ups... Covers

Brian Fowler

On 8/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, Zimbra said:

8d84f7f5b90132725d84439dd577a20a.jpg

Happy 103rd birthday to Jack Kirby!

We could easily do over 100 pages of just great Kirby stuff. For my money, Fantastic Four 42-60 remains the best run of any artist ever (with a respectful nod to Joe Kubert for Hawkman and Enemy Ace!)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OSJ said:

We could easily do over 100 pages of just great Kirby stuff. For my money, Fantastic Four 42-60 remains the best run of any artist ever (with a respectful nod to Joe Kubert for Hawkman and Enemy Ace!)

Yeah, I was torn because there are so many awesome Kirby splash pages I could have posted but I had this map as my desktop wallpaper for like a decade and I love it so much.

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, I was torn because there are so many awesome Kirby splash pages I could have posted but I had this map as my desktop wallpaper for like a decade and I love it so much.

Now that I think about it, you could do 100 pages of just his stuff from Journey Into Mystery/Thor. It's a shame that Stan Lee didn't let him do what he wanted to do, a full-blown Ragnarok with all the characters being killed off as they were in Norse mythology. I can understand the decision from a business standpoint, but it still would have been awesomely cool. 

Even after his jump to DC and the inherent silliness of Jimmy Olson and the Forever People, I still bought the books just for the King's artwork. If you asked me my favorite comic artist, I'd say that Neal Adams' highpoints rivaled anyone and Joe Kubert when he was on his game was sublime. I liked a lot of Ditko's stuff, though oddly enough, not his Spiderman, but his Dr. Strange and Charlton work remain highpoints of the form even today. However, when all is said and done,  it's Kirby and then everyone else. Vastly underrated is the 1950s and early 1960s monster stuff. I have a trade entitled Monster Masterworks that is filled with great stuff. Thing is, they could have done ten volumes of the same size without going below the top shelf.