DVDVR Message Board

I Haven't Watched Wrestling in Over Ten Years

Must be a coincidence, because Taz sure as hell didn't take it.

Tazz and Cole are that weird team that seemed to only work with each other. When they're with other people, they're exposed. Cole was passable in his first run with JBL but he was never quite as good as he was with Tazz. 

Cole and Lawler are a team that WWE should stop trying to make work though. I can't think of a time when they EVER had chemistry.

Wait? Cole and Tazz were good at some point? When? I remember those two being horrible. They were so horrible that at times I had to mute the commentary. The Lawler/JR pairing was STALE and Cole/Taz was just bad. Cole has had his moments over-the-years, but overall WWE needs a complete rehaul of the Raw and Smackdown commentary teams.

Wait? Cole and Tazz were good at some point? When? I remember those two being horrible. They were so horrible that at times I had to mute the commentary. The Lawler/JR pairing was STALE and Cole/Taz was just bad. Cole has had his moments over-the-years, but overall WWE needs a complete rehaul of the Raw and Smackdown commentary teams.

As someone noted above, Cole and Tazz seemed to have chemistry and their interplay was more natural and not forced. This has to account for something. I wouldn't say that they were ever amazing, but they're certainly better than what we have now. I remember at least not actively wishing to go deaf when I hear them announcing, which is something I can't say about the current team. 

My comments to the OP? Stay away from TNA. DO NOT WATCH TNA! If you listen to my words you will be fine. As far as TV wrestling is concerned, WWE is on fire and is the only show worth investing in if you are super jaded.

I've stumbled across TNA a few times over the years and thought it reminded me of dead-ender WCW with a few big names doing things that didn't make sense or generally insulted my intelligence.  I saw Samoa Joe on there a few times, and Kurt Angle, I'm sure some good things came out of their involvement even if I didn't see them.

Joe's been involved in some good things in TNA, Angle also but not as many. Angle has regressed a lot over the past ten years and seems to only want to work sprint, finisher trading matches with little to no selling in them and he's basically held together with spit and duct tape these days. Angle's decline has been sad and fascinating to watch.

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue with the commentary is that its overproduced. A lot of the banter and stuff seems so forced and unnatural. It also takes away from the action going on in the ring. Constant shilling of The Network and stuff is what it is, like someone else said, it's the modern equivalent to pumping upcoming live events. I think Cole and especially JBL are good enough to be more than solid on commentary, but the style they're told to work hampers their ability. Not suggesting their perfect, but I believe they have the ability to be better than what's showcased on TV.

Granted, Lawler at this point is just hideous and no amount of over/underproducing could make him come across as anything other than terrible. I've started to re-fall in love with WWE over the past few months (really since like mid 2013 when Bryan's ascent began), but the commentary is still lagging and although it doesn't sound like much, it is fairly significant in the grand scheme of things.

My comments to the OP? Stay away from TNA. DO NOT WATCH TNA! If you listen to my words you will be fine. As far as TV wrestling is concerned, WWE is on fire and is the only show worth investing in if you are super jaded.

I've stumbled across TNA a few times over the years and thought it reminded me of dead-ender WCW with a few big names doing things that didn't make sense or generally insulted my intelligence.  I saw Samoa Joe on there a few times, and Kurt Angle, I'm sure some good things came out of their involvement even if I didn't see them.

Fewer than you might think.  But your fundamental grasp of TNA is sound.