DVDVR Message Board

What You're Watching, 2015!

Kevin Wilson

Oh, good Lord almaaaaiiiighdy! A friend and I just watched the majority of the 2/14 NJPW show and Honma is a mad man (I refuse to sit through NJPW undercard garbage).

I puked in my mouth a bit when Honma's body bounced a good foot off the mats following the diving headbutt to the outside. Such a disgusting spot. Great match and that's two big shows in a row where Honma is in the best match of the night and is MVP of said match. Please let him win some matches. Didn't care for the main event. The '90s guys so badly need to retire ASAP but New Japan doesn't have anybody to replace them. If only there were a promotion they could liquidate and whose talent they could absorb.

Oh, and neat spot in the six man junior match: Kenny goes for the German suplex from the apron to the outside on Kushida. During the struggle, Mascara Dorada comes out of nowhere to hit a sunset powerbomb on Omega from the inside of the ring to the outside, violently whipping Omega into Nick Jackson. Looked fantastic.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you watch two matches from the New Beginning shows, watch Honma vs. Ibushi and Honma vs. Ishii, both are fantastic. Everything else, pretty skippable.

Am I the only one, who thinks those NWA guys feel really out of place in New Japan, especially that awful manager? I expect someone like that at a rinky-dink Indy promotion, but not in the #2 wrestling promotion in the world.

How dare you speak ill of Bruce Tharpe!  He's the best thing to come out of this NWA angle, because pretty much all the matches have been skippable, he at least tries to make it entertaining.

Yeah, if you watch two matches from the New Beginning shows, watch Honma vs. Ibushi and Honma vs. Ishii, both are fantastic. Everything else, pretty skippable.

Am I the only one, who thinks those NWA guys feel really out of place in New Japan, especially that awful manager? I expect someone like that at a rinky-dink Indy promotion, but not in the #2 wrestling promotion in the world.

Yeah, totally. I thought both New Beginning shows were whatever, but those 2 matches were awesome. I honestly thought Honma had a chance in the title match.

I skip a lot of the NWA stuff pretty often too. Heard Tenzan vs Conway was surprisingly good though. Was tempted to go back and watch it, but I don't think I will. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i stumbled upon this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nniD7te_62I&index=1&list=LLCrtNEBj859VCj8fenZCVIg

I have no idea how aware you guys are of this, but it thought it was really cool. Not so much for Mascaras, but all the other guys really came through. You can really tell Fujiwara has an absolute blast being out there, plus the fans went WILD for Terry. Maybe there's too much nostagia stuff out there nowadays, but this was done right.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the big NOAH show from 3/15 and Marufuji vs. Suzuki was pretty good, but the Suzuki/Kobashi staredown after the match just bummed me out.

This storyline would be pretty good, if I didn't know the real life background. NJPW owning NOAH just makes me so incredibly sad.