DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics - 2024

The latest Outsiders is weird.

Nice to know Kal L Is alive, even if reverted back to his young self and powerless.

The Wildstorm Snowflake doesn't exist, because it's not supposed to. It was ended many years ago. 

This is what, the third DC stab at an Ultimate line? After All-Star and Earth One (fourth if you count the Nu52)

The problem Marvel ran into was the whole "classic stories and characters without the weight of continuity" wears off after a few years when continuity starts to build up. (Though I personally was a pretty big fan of the late era Ultimate Universe 1.0 when it instead became the place that the writers could do anything. Kill Peter Parker and Wolverine for real, split the United States into chunks, etc etc. It didn't sell worth a damn.)

Depending on creative teams/characters I'll at least give these a look though.

I’m intrigued by the idea of Abolute, but somewhat pessimistic.  I’m more of a Marvel & DC fan than the indies, but I don’t buy much Marvel and DC these days. Previous attempts to lure back big name creators largely fizzled out, though I enjoyed the books.  New 52 had a lot of great books by writers and artists I’ll follow,  but it ultimately didn’t make a dent in the industry or change DC’s trajectory.

it’s high on my radar though,  Early Ultimate Marvel and Wildstorm’s DC era are a couple of my favorite things about comics over the last 30 years, so if they can channel that….

I kinda don't get the point of an Ultimate line from DC considering how many times they've hard/soft rebooted things in recent history, unless they're do something drastically different like the current Ultimate line.

They have infinite universes these days since Dark Crisis. They combined the old mutliverse with the new 52, just some old Earths haven't been revived.

Infinte Multiverse, Dark Multiverse, Hypertime and the other concepts. I omit the other concepts, because they don't contain other Earths.

I think the idea of an Ultimate DC is a good one but especially at a time where they're doing a ton of self contained Black Label stuff, I don't really see the appeal unless they're going wide with it. 

THAT SAID

Bleeding Cool also says this is going to be in the main canon? And more about doing greater amounts of creative freedom within the mainline universe? Which uh. I'm not exactly sure how to square that, but I'm interested in seeing what it looks like. 

At this point it's a case of not putting the cart before the horse and waiting to see what the announcement looks like, I guess.

19 hours ago, Kang said:

I think he meant the new universe will be more important over the old DC Earth 0 universe.

I read a clarification that makes sense which is that it'll be its own universe, but unlike the original Ultimate Universe, it's going to be factored into the current multiverse from the jump and there may be some play between them early on rather than that being an endgame thing. Seems likely Absolute Power will dovetail into the launch somehow.