DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics - 2024

X-Men stuff

Dead X-Men ended.  You have to read certain issues before other series issues to understand. 

Fall of the House of X 4

Spoiler

Apocalypse killed two mutants, because using their blood helps revive the actual Krakoa, at different times. Kintar and Wrongslide were the ones who died in the one on one battles with Apoc.

I didn't expect Xavier's full on heel turn to humans and side with the machines to save some mutants. But he always been more shady on Earth 616 compared to his other counterparts. He kills some humans. "No more humans".

Sentinel City gets damaged.

Storm is on her way to it.

I forgot Ultimate Hank Pym and The Wasp were resurrected years ago. So the new Ultimate Universe does somewhat match up similar to the old Ultimate Universe in terms of who's living.

Except on the new Ultimate Earth, Johnny, Ben, Sue are dead. But their absence mirrors no F4 team post Ultimatum in a different way.

Wind-down of the X-Men books seems unnecessarily convoluted.  Too much sturm und drang (turmoil) for my liking.  It doesn’t really feel like we’re heading anywhere fresh or interesting either. The developments with Xavier seem out of the blue and aren’t having much impact on me because there’s probably zero chance they stick for very long.  Nothing I’ve heard about the reset interests me yet, so I am probably out on the X-books for awhile.  Simone writing X-Men might be good, but I’m very much wait-and-see on that.  I kinda want her to be on the book more than an arc or two before I jump in.

i didn’t love the Krakoa era, but it’s still mind-boggling Hickman seemingly got pushed aside for writers like Gerry Dugan.  I kinda wish Hickman had been allowed to stick closer to his original pitch for the books and had been allowed to finish as he wanted.  House/Powers of X were fascinating, but I lost interest quick once Hickman became more of a creative director and they started interweaving the books.  Had practically no interest in X-Men titles not written by Hickman. Gillen & Ewing did interesting work after Hickman left, but had same issues.  Anyway, would much prefer to see both those guys on other projects.  Gillen’s new creator-owned book will probably be interesting.

Edited by madl
  • Like 1

From the days of Dark Horse I could never imagine buying an Aliens comic book, Hickman and Ribic is reason enough for me to buy an Aliens comic book.

Also announced today was Jason Aaron, Paul Davidson, and Alex Lins on an eight issue Namor series. I don't know if I'm completely sold on it yet but I am intrigued.

• Like 1

Lot of Namor fans won't like Aaron writing Namor. Again.

The Avengers will be older and grittier in AVA, I guess it's another universe.  BC wrongly thought Predator vs Wolverine was taking place in 616.

Edited by Kang

On 4/18/2024 at 10:38 AM, madl said:

Wind-down of the X-Men books seems unnecessarily convoluted.  Too much sturm und drang (turmoil) for my liking.  It doesn’t really feel like we’re heading anywhere fresh or interesting either. The developments with Xavier seem out of the blue and aren’t having much impact on me because there’s probably zero chance they stick for very long.  Nothing I’ve heard about the reset interests me yet, so I am probably out on the X-books for awhile.  Simone writing X-Men might be good, but I’m very much wait-and-see on that.  I kinda want her to be on the book more than an arc or two before I jump in.

i didn’t love the Krakoa era, but it’s still mind-boggling Hickman seemingly got pushed aside for writers like Gerry Dugan.  I kinda wish Hickman had been allowed to stick closer to his original pitch for the books and had been allowed to finish as he wanted.  House/Powers of X were fascinating, but I lost interest quick once Hickman became more of a creative director and they started interweaving the books.  Had practically no interest in X-Men titles not written by Hickman. Gillen & Ewing did interesting work after Hickman left, but had same issues.  Anyway, would much prefer to see both those guys on other projects.  Gillen’s new creator-owned book will probably be interesting.

Hickman didn't get pushed aside. By his own account, he decided that his plan should be shifted to allow for a longer run there but that he didn't want to stick around for that. It was all voluntary on his part. You can argue if it was the right call, but it was 100% up to Hickman. 

• Like 1

X-Men Red vol 4 (covering the Arrako Civil War right after the Hellfire Gala massacre) was OK, but felt like there pages missing here and there. Weird time jumps. A weird out of nowhere ending. A bit disappointing.

Doctor Midas is the Midas getting Ultimatized in Ultimates. The bad guy from Marvel Boy vol 2.

The funny thing is the Marvel Boy vol 2 series was rumored to be taking place on earth 1610, but the Marvel Boy character and more became entrenched to taking place on Earth 616.

FCBD Ultimates related stuff

Rich Johnston got Ultimate Black Panther mixed up with Weapon X. Ugh.

Spoiler

It's obvious 6160 Logan died long time ago. His bones are shown.

Ultimate Black Panther has claw fingers.

The Sentry is dead.

Earth 6160 Tony Stark doesn't drink, he is a Teetotaler.

Just read Blood Hunt #1 (retailer privilege, I've actually had it since last week but didn't have time to check it out until now)

It very much feels like the Marvel version of a Geoff Johns event. I figured out the twist real early on and the last few pages really belabor the point, but it all lines up. Gonna be interested to see what the logic is behind the call. There's a lot of characters who seem to be dead by the end of issue #1 that either aren't permanent because come on or that we know are going to be turned because solicits. It is what it is. 

It's gonna be an interesting litmus test for Jed MacKay as a bigger scale player. It's already kind of exposing some things I find sort of eye roll worthy but mileage may vary on it. More good than bad for sure though and it feels so massive that I'm genuinely unsure how it's gonna resolve, so that's a plus. 

No idea what the Red Band differences are, also, but I can speculate based on how some moments were framed.