DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 12/4 - 12/10/2023 - Jingle All The Rhea

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Punk thought that line about how you can't punch guys backstage seemed to pop only one person in that building and it was him.   so much for expecting WWE fans to be invested in AEW backstage drama

He should have used real names for maximum non pop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wrestlemania is still 2 nights next year right? So why would anyone buy this tension between Punk and Cody from Punk's return meaning Cody can't 'finish his story' when they can very clearly and 99% will go with both of them main eventing different nights.

I think there's pros and cons to having a three way at Mania.

Having Punk in there minimises the potential of crowd turning on Cody and siding with Roman

Two guys carrying the promo work leading up to it if Roman remains part time.

Punk completes his story simply by main eventing without necessarily having to win.

If Cody goes over by pinning Punk, does that feel an anticlimactic end to such a long title run? Or do you get Punk eating high profile losses out the way early and does it give you an opening to run Cody and Roman at SummerSlam with Cody beating Roman, while you do the Punk/Heyman stuff as well.

Feels too similar to the Edge/Bryan match, unless you want to lean into that and have Romans promos focus on him predicting pinning both again.

Also think it's a better use of that story rather than burning through it unnecessarily and having Cody/Punk #1 contender match at EC

Kind of surprised anyone thinks a 3-way is likely. It would be a terribly unsatisfying way to end Roman's reign. Its something Vince would do, but I get the feeling HHH would try avoid. Beyond that I have my doubts Roman has much interest in working with Punk. And the current build has more or less made it obvious Punk/Seth is the current goal.

• Like 3

Given they've done some variety of it at 10, 20 and 30, I'd be surprised if they don't do something similar at 40. 

Alternatively, defending against Punk on night one, and then losing to Cody on night two is arguably the more satisfying end to Roman's title reign. Also from a perspective that you know they're dying to use the line about "making Roman look strong" in the build up and its difficult to do without being too shooty/everything else you see is fake. 

Roman cutting a lengthy promo about why he's going to beat Cody, and then ending it by turning to Punk and saying that he's just there to make him look strong, before walking out would be nice.

Rollins/Punk feels more likely to be at the Rumble, even though Punk has already entered the Rumble match (double duty?)

• Like 1

- Punk's big return singles match will be at Mania. The Rumble seems like the safest way to have Punk compete without having to have him actually wrestle a match as all he really has to do in there is stomp and kick and maybe hit a GTS. Like with Roman, I think they'd have CM Punk clothed in bubble wrap and moving blankets to protect him until April if they could. They absolutely believe they can milk Rollins/Punk for the next 3 months and I don't see why they can't. 

- Cody vs. Roman has got to be set in stone by now. I still think they should've had Cody win the belt(s) last year, but if the intention was to see whether Cody Rhodes could stay hot for a year even after losing, that he was the "real deal," then he passed the test in 2023. After Mania last year, I believed Cody would end up like just another guy - another Kevin Owens, another Drew McIntyre, another Sami Zayn, another Seth Rollins - just another guy who couldn't get it done and would always be one rung below Roman. But, based on crowd reactions, certainly seems like Cody is as popular as he ever was and is still the guy who should be getting the rub.