DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

I didn’t realize that I stole such a good ship until I was reading up on it today. I knew it was huge, but I guess it’s a C class with lots of crew slots. Good thing I’ve been hiring randos in New Atlantis and Akila City. I will prob keep Hadrian once I finish the UC terramorph storyline. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Finally managed to get Amelia Earhart as a companion.

I was totally disappointed that her Pilot skill wasn't through the roof.  Realism be damned.  Amelia should be able to fly anything in the game.

• Like 1

Don’t know if this is a bug,but when I remodeled my ship, the game game changed its name from Space Hyena to UC Navy Cargo. And all I did was repaint it. I also added upgrades but that was after the name change, .

amelia is frustrating as a companion. Twice now she has stormed off because I was killing creatures, once it was aboard a derelict ship. 

The funny thing about that is the save issue was mainly if you had not started NG+ yet.  Supposedly, the longer you played without advancing to NG+, the worse it got. 

this video explains the technical issues

Edited by odessasteps

Found a side quest I’d never heard of before last night.

there’s a guy in a restaurant on New Atlantis is a coffee maker and found some civit cat like creature can be fed coffee beans and shits out the worlds best beans or what have you.  So you have to go to some planet and retrieve the beans from said creature, which in my game was a giant grasshopper type creature. All for only 2000 credits. 

On 12/16/2023 at 11:31 AM, odessasteps said:

Found a side quest I’d never heard of before last night.

there’s a guy in a restaurant on New Atlantis is a coffee maker and found some civit cat like creature can be fed coffee beans and shits out the worlds best beans or what have you.  So you have to go to some planet and retrieve the beans from said creature, which in my game was a giant grasshopper type creature. All for only 2000 credits. 

I heard about this one via one those "Weirdest Starfield Side Quests" lists but never ended up finding it myself

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody know if they've fixed the bug where progressing the main questline wipes out the contents of your condo in New Atlantis?

I know there's a list of fixes linked to in that tweet, but they're listed by quest name and I can't remember the name of the specific quest that causes the issue.

22 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Anybody know if they've fixed the bug where progressing the main questline wipes out the contents of your condo in New Atlantis?

I know there's a list of fixes linked to in that tweet, but they're listed by quest name and I can't remember the name of the specific quest that causes the issue.

A quick Google makes it seem like the answer is No

And if can happen at multiple times during the main questline. Basically - it appears that every time a "major" event happens that "resets" New Atlantis - the apartment can get wiped.

So basically it seems the solution is to wait till after High Price to Pay or NG+

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was forced to delete the game off my hard drive since I needed room for MLB The Show 24 (since it will only run off of Internal Storage)

Made sure to keep my save files though

So I picked this back up last week and finally finished the main storyline with one of my characters on Sunday.

Overall, a pretty great game. There were a couple of annoying instances of railroading, but overall strong writing. Pretty much an across-the-board improvement on Fallout 4; a vastly better main storyline and generally improved game mechanics (although as I mentioned a while back, a lot of the new mechanics are good ideas implemented poorly). Even the absence of VATS or something like it is surprisingly tolerable.

I've heard the game was panned in internet discussions elsewhere, and I find that baffling. Sure it has flaws, but they're all pretty much flaws that every Bethesda game I've played had. What exactly were the detractors expecting?

33 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So I picked this back up last week and finally finished the main storyline with one of my characters on Sunday.

Overall, a pretty great game. There were a couple of annoying instances of railroading, but overall strong writing. Pretty much an across-the-board improvement on Fallout 4; a vastly better main storyline and generally improved game mechanics (although as I mentioned a while back, a lot of the new mechanics are good ideas implemented poorly). Even the absence of VATS or something like it is surprisingly tolerable.

I've heard the game was panned in internet discussions elsewhere, and I find that baffling. Sure it has flaws, but they're all pretty much flaws that every Bethesda game I've played had. What exactly were the detractors expecting?

I played it, beat it, and enjoyed it but I think the main issue people had with it (as a generalization) is the hype/expectations of the "space" aspect didn't meet reality. On their end, I think it was a mistake to tout how many planets there would be and emphasizing space travel at all. And on the expectations end, I think people unrealistically expected something more like No Man's Sky when it came to the 'space' part. It just didn't have that same feel when you could be on one planet and without taking off fast travel to another planet surface, I think in my last 50 hours I spent very little time in space. The planets were too uninteresting to get me to even explore them so it really just felt like very similar set pieces for battles on different islands over and over.

I say all that, I liked the game a lot. But I think it just didn't deliver on the "space travel/space exploration" aspect that people thought/were hoping for and that was a big part of what was complained about.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I played it, beat it, and enjoyed it but I think the main issue people had with it (as a generalization) is the hype/expectations of the "space" aspect didn't meet reality. On their end, I think it was a mistake to tout how many planets there would be and emphasizing space travel at all. And on the expectations end, I think people unrealistically expected something more like No Man's Sky when it came to the 'space' part. It just didn't have that same feel when you could be on one planet and without taking off fast travel to another planet surface, I think in my last 50 hours I spent very little time in space. The planets were too uninteresting to get me to even explore them so it really just felt like very similar set pieces for battles on different islands over and over.

Thanks Kevin. I didn't see any of the ads or other hype, so all I was expecting was a Bethesda game in space. Which I got. And one of the better Bethesda games I've played to boot.

But if you were expecting a better version of No Man's Sky - yeah, you didn't get that. I remember thinking myself that the whole exploring planets/building outposts part of the game was pretty lame compared to NMS. (And I couldn't even really get into NMS, although I wanted to like it.) Fortunately you can enjoy the game without bothering with that stuff at all.

I really hope the DLC's add an actual reason for base building to be in the game because as it is, it feels like a thing someone designed and was then tacked on but has no actual relation to the game they built. Say what you will about settlement building in Fallout 4 but at least it was connected to the actual game experience. There's also a definite sense that none of the faction playthroughs have any meaninful impact on the game world.

I enjoyed the game, but the other thing that desperately needs reworking is the planetary exploration. There's just so much... nothing.

The more I played this game the less I liked it, though overall I still loved my first playthrough. It desperately needs the mod community so like Fallout 4 it can actually be finished. Fallout 4 with mods absolutely rules so hopefully Starfield gets that creation kit sooner rather than later.

The more disconnected I am from playing it (and having briefly tried the gong show that is Fallout 76 since) the more concerned I am for Elder Scrolls 6. There's a real distinct sense of a company that doesn't have any new ideas, even if the old ideas were executed mostly well. But it's not like as an overall publisher Bethesda has actually had a good last few years. They've put their publisher name on a lot of junk recently that definitely has people asking questions.