DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Summer/Fall 2023

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of a face down...

TKZ deciding to careen face first into a punch is certainly a choice.

Wonder what's next for Max Holloway at Featherweight because he's lost all three to the current UFC Featherweight Champion and P4P #1 Alexander Volkanovski? I scored the second to Holloway.

Just got around to the co-main and main.

Anthony Smith looked markedly better than his last fight, even when he survived that nasty shot to the eye. I thought the decision was right, and I think Spann will watch that third round back with some regret.

Everyone singing Zombie was a beautiful moment.

This is the first time in a loooooong time that Max has fought less than 15 minutes. I kinda don't blame Zombie for just saying fuck it and going for it. Because playing back and forth with Max Holloway sucks.

• Like 1

I'm glad Blanchfield/Taila played out as it did with both having a round to shine before Blanchfield took it over. Good to see Taila back after a year+, hope she bounces back to go on another win streak and good to see Erin continue to kill it.

Also love to see Lionheart pull out another win, always a favorite to watch. Some wild knockouts throughout this show. 

Sad to see the Korean Zombie go, but what a finale. One of the all time great MMA entrances/themes and today's especially was epic.

• Like 1

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 84: Gane vs. Spivac 
September 2, 2023
Paris, France (Accor Arena)

Ciryl Gane (250) vs. Serghei Spivac (256) - Gane, TKO (punches), R2 (3:44)
Manon Fiorot (125) vs. Rose Namajunas (125) - Fiorot, DEC (unanimous)
Benoît Saint-Denis (156) vs. Thiago Moisés (156) - St. Denis, TKO (punches), R2 (4:44)
Volkan Oezdemir (205) vs. Bogdan Guskov (205) - Oezdemir, SUB (rear naked choke) R1 (3:46)
William Gomis (146) vs. Yanis Ghemmouri (146) - Gomis, TKO (body kick), R3 (2:20)
Morgan Charrière (146) vs. Manolo Zecchini (146) - Charrière, KO (body kick and punches), R1 (3:51)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Taylor Lapilus (135) vs. Caolán Loughran (136) - Lapilus, DEC (unanimous)
Ange Loosa (171) vs. Rhys McKee (171) - Loosa, DEC (unanimous)
Joselyne Edwards (136) vs. Nora Cornolle (136) - Cornolle, DEC (unanimous)
Farid Basharat (136) vs. Kleydson Rodrigues (134.5) - Basharat, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (4:15)
Zarah Fairn dos Santos (140) vs. Jacqueline Cavalcanti (139) - Cavalcanti, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Morgan Charrière
Performance of the Night: Ciryl Gane
Fight of the Night: Benoît Saint-Denis vs. Thiago Moisés

Attendance: 15,610
Gate$4 million

Rose looks healthier at weigh-ins, but looked a little small compared to Manon Fiorot. I think that's probably the most interesting fight on the card. Rose would basically interject herself into the the title picture with a win, or Manon can possibly separate herself from Blanchfield as a title contender, with a win over one of the biggest female names in the company.

Very interested to see how Rose looks in this weight class. We may very close to a Rose vs. Valentina fight at any rate.

• 2 weeks later...

UFC Fight Night

Noche UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 85: Grasso vs. Shevchenko II 
September 16, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Women's Flyweight Championship: Alexa Grasso © (124.5) vs. Valentina Shevchenko (124.5) (first defense) - DRAW (split)
Kevin Holland (170.5) vs. Jack Della Maddalena (171) - Maddalena, DEC (split)
Raul Rosas Jr. (135) vs. Terrence Mitchell (135.5) - Rosas Jr., TKO (punches), R1 (0:54)   
Daniel Zellhuber (156) vs. Christo Giagos (156) - Zellhuber, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:26)
Fernando Padilla (145.5) vs. Kyle Nelson (146) - Nelson, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Lupita Godinez (116) vs. Elise Reed (115.5) - Godinez, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:30)
Roman Kopylov (185.5) vs. Josh Fremd (185.5) - Kopylov, KO (punch to the body), R2 (4:44)
Edgar Cháirez (126) vs. Daniel Lacerda (125.5) - No Contest (Referee Error)
Tracy Cortez (126) vs. Jasmine Jasudavicius (125.5) - Cortez, DEC 
Alex Reyes (155.5) vs. Charlie Campbell (155) - Campbell, TKO (punches), R1 (3:38)
Josefine Lindgren Knutsson (115.5) vs. Marnic Mann (115) - Knutsson, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Charlie Campbell
Performance of the NightRoman Kopylov
Performance of the Night: Lupita Godinez
Performance of the NightDaniel Zellhuber
Performance of the Night: Raul Rosas Jr.

Attendance: 18,766
Gate: $2.27 million

1. Roman Kopylov is nasty. Ready to start seeing that cat facing ranked guys.

2. I don't know if I'll ever see an armbar look as brutal as the one Loopy Godinez had on Elise Reed- and still not get a tap. I thought that girl's arm was going to snap for sure.

• Like 2

I hope Noche UFC remains a thing cause that was damn good main event. I think it's going to come down to how round 4 was scored. Valentina did a lot more damage while Alexa got some good shots in here and there.

lol @ blaming Mexican Independence Day for the judging, there's ALWAYS an excuse/refusal to accept the result when Valentina doesn't win, can't stand her.

Awesome fight though, was on the edge of my seat throughout rooting for Alexa to pull it off. That punch that rocked Valentina across the Octagon was epic and the end of round 5 coming so close to a repeat of the last fight.  I don't mind the result, was very close, just glad that Alexa remains the champ, definitely my fav.  Great Noche!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, it didn't. 

Every entertaining fight in MMA hasn't had pristine judging.

Yeah, you're right.  I had Alexa winning round 4 with those sweet ass Double Dragon knees.  10-8 shouldn't have mattered if she won round 4. 

• Like 1

I think earlier in the year when there was another judge controversy, it was discussed how there are some judges who sometimes get caught in the narratives. I actually believe that giving Grasso a 10-8 was a judge avoiding upsetting the narrative of the night. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy, I just think he got it wrong. He's only human after all. I don't think Shevchenko was crazy saying what she said. It's a genuine possibility.

Cruz and Cormier both mentioned that the only way he could justify a 10-8 was because it looked like it was close to a finish.

The problem with that was Grasso almost finished it in the 2nd. And you could also say that about the round where Valentina almost choked Alexa out in the 3rd. It's just a terribly inconsistent scorecard, that looks like it was written by a person who wanted to avoid any responsibility.

All that being said...

One judge scored it 3-2, for Grasso, and I actually think that's fine too. To me it's who won Round 4, and depending on what you value - you can go either way.

So maybe a draw is the right result, but I don't think how we got there was right. It felt like bullshit. And I think the ladies deserved something better because they put on a great fight.

Also Noche Night (lo sé, I know) was a pretty awesome idea, and I can't believe they only now thought to do it.

• Like 2