DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Summer/Fall 2023

Elsalvajeloco

Meltzer:

It doesn't get much closer than last night's Alexa Grasso vs. Valentina Shevchenko flyweight title match. It was a split decision draw. Michael Bell ruled it a draw giving rounds two and five for Grasso including a very controversial 10-8 fifth round. Sal D'Amato had it for Shevchenko winning rounds one, three and four. Junichrio Kamijo had it for Grass winning rounds two, four and five. Basically almost everyone had one for Shevchenko, two for Grasso, three for Shevchenko and five for Grasso and it came down to how you scored round four. Media scores were 52 percent for Grasso and 48 percent for Shevchenko. Fan scoring was 45.2 percent for Shevchenko and 44.9 percent for Grasso with 4.4 percent scoring it even. Shevchenko was very strong in thinking she won. Grasso said after two fights with Shevchenko she wants to move on, but one would think after this score they should do a rematch.

More trivia:

6: Split draws in UFC championship history following the Grasso-Shevchenko 2 result. The others: Caol Uno vs. B.J. Penn (UFC 41), Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (UFC 125), Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson (UFC 205), Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo (UFC 256) and Jan Blachowicz vs. Magomed Ankalaev (UFC 282).

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Alexa Grasso vs. Valentina Shevchenko was a great fight. How did you score it? I had 48-47 Grasso: 2,4,5.

i had the same score as you. Grasso 2,4,5. Was rooting for Val, but that slip up in rd5 caused her to lose. I had her up in the round until that point.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

More trivia:

6: Split draws in UFC championship history following the Grasso-Shevchenko 2 result. The others: Caol Uno vs. B.J. Penn (UFC 41), Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (UFC 125), Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson (UFC 205), Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo (UFC 256) and Jan Blachowicz vs. Magomed Ankalaev (UFC 282).

i may have told this story before, but once i moved back to my home(ish)town, my friends and i decided to get together, watch the monthly PPV cards, and create a yearlong betting pool. we had all watched for at least a few years by that point, so it's not like any of us were novices. The first event? UFC 127 (Feb 2011). the main event was a nontitle clash between BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch, which ended in a majority draw. not the greatest start to a betting pool. 
sidenote: i picked Penn, proving that i have always tended to favor aging former greats. i didn't win the year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, twiztor said:

i had the same score as you. Grasso 2,4,5. Was rooting for Val, but that slip up in rd5 caused her to lose. I had her up in the round until that point.

i may have told this story before, but once i moved back to my home(ish)town, my friends and i decided to get together, watch the monthly PPV cards, and create a yearlong betting pool. we had all watched for at least a few years by that point, so it's not like any of us were novices. The first event? UFC 127 (Feb 2011). the main event was a nontitle clash between BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch, which ended in a majority draw. not the greatest start to a betting pool. 
sidenote: i picked Penn, proving that i have always tended to favor aging former greats. i didn't win the year.

Great minds think alike as the saying goes, mate. Cheers!

21 hours ago, twiztor said:

Thanks for sharing.

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 86: Fiziev vs. Gamrot 
September 23, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Rafael Fiziev (156) vs. Mateusz Gamrot (156) - Gamrot, TKO (knee injury), R2 (2:03)
Bryce Mitchell (146) vs. Dan Ige (146) - Mitchell, DEC (unanimous)
Marina Rodriguez (116) vs. Michelle Waterson-Gomez (115.5) - Rodriguez, TKO (punches), R2 (2:42)
Bryan Battle (171) vs. AJ Fletcher (170.5) - Battle, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:32)
Charles Jourdain (145.5) vs. Ricardo Ramos (146) - Jourdain, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (3:12)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Miles Johns (136) vs. Dan Argueta (136) - Johns, DEC (unanimous)
Tim Means (171) vs. Andre Fialho (171) - Means, TKO (strikes), R3 (1:15)
Jacob Malkoun (185) vs. Cody Brundage (186) - Brundage, DQ (illegal elbow), R1 (4:15)
Jake Collier (256.5) vs. Mohammed Usman (237) - Usman, DEC (unanimous)
Mizuki Inoue (115.5) vs. Hannah Goldy (115.5) - Inoue, DEC (unanimous)
Montserrat Rendon (135) vs. Tamires Vidal (134) - Rendon, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Charles Jourdain
Performance of the Night: Marina Rodriguez
Fight of the Night: Tim Means vs. Andre Fialho

I just don't know about Big Baby Usman. I just see higher level strikers taking advantage of some clear bad habits. He's got a really bad head dip that will eventually lead to the same kind of KO that his brother got against Edwards. Collier was picking up on it but was going for a knee instead, which he probably was training as a defense for the wrestling.

Been a while since I've seen a a DQ for a back of the head strike. Malkoun just gave one away.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I just saw Bryce Mitchell's videos with Anthony Smith and Bisping, and right now, I don't know how to feel about living in the same state as Bryce Mitchell.

I couldn't sit through all of it. It's just so cringey. Like "Hey man, let's have a scientific debate so I can prove to you that the earth is flat and shrouded by veils held in place by God's angels."

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Give me Colby Covington going wild on the mic a million times over Bryce Mitchell trying to force another person to pray.

Bryce Mitchell is 1998 Dustin Runnels' character and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

• Sad 1

The ONE FC was bittersweet for a variety of reasons. First, Angela Lee retired after the main event (although she informed people before the main event). It seems like that might the right thing to do based on her mental health even if she is still physically able to do it. Second, Stamp Fairtex basically stamped (pun intended) her place as Angela Lee's successor with a wicked body shot finish over one of my favorites Seo Hee Ham. Sucks it had to be her it was against, but ONE is investing a lot in the ascension of Stamp Fairtex especially in light of the Angela Lee news.

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 87: Dawson vs. Green 
October 7, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Grant Dawson (156) vs. Bobby Green (156) - Green, KO (punches), R1 (0:33)
Joe Pyfer (185) vs. Abdul Razak Alhassan (184.5) - Pyfer, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (2:05)     
Alex Morono (170.5) vs. Joaquin Buckley (170) - Buckley, DEC (unanimous)
Drew Dober (155.5) vs. Ricky Glenn (155.5) - Dober, TKO (punches), R1 (2:36)
Bill Algeo (146) vs. Alexander Hernandez (145.5) - Algeo, DEC (unanimous)   

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (116) vs. Diana Belbiţă (115.5) - Kowalkiewicz, DEC (unanimous)
Nate Maness (126) vs. Mateus Mendonça (125.5) - Maness, TKO (punches), R1 (4:40)
Kanako Murata (115.5) vs. Vanessa Demopoulos (116) - Demopoulos, DEC (unanimous)
Johnny Munoz Jr. (136) vs. Aori Qileng (136) - Qileng, DEC (unanimous)
Montana De La Rosa (126) vs. JJ Aldrich (125.5) - Aldrich, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Nate Maness
Performance of the Night: Drew Dober
Performance of the Night: Joe Pyfer
Performance of the Night: Bobby Green

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 88: Yusuff vs. Barboza 
October 14, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Sodiq Yusuff (145.5) vs. Edson Barboza (146) - Barboza, DEC (unanimous)
Jennifer Maia (125) vs. Viviane Araujo (126) - Araujo, DEC (unanimous)
Jonathan Martinez (136) vs. Adrian Yanez (135.5) - Martinez, TKO (leg kicks), R2 (2:26)
Michel Pereira (186) vs. Andre Petroski (186) - Pereira, TKO (punches), R1 (1:06)
Christian Rodriguez (140)* vs. Cameron Saaiman (135.5) - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Darren Elkins (146) vs. T.J. Brown (146) - Elkins, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:23)
Tainara Lisboa (133.5) vs. Ravena Oliveira (133) - Lisboa, DEC (unanimous)
Terrance McKinney (155.5) vs. Brendon Marotte (155.5) - McKinney, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:20)
Irina Alekseeva (135) vs. Melissa Dixon (135.5) - Dixon, DEC (unanimous)
Chris Gutierrez (136) vs. Heili Alateng (136) - Gutierrez, DEC (unanimous)
Ashley Yoder (115.5) vs. Emily Ducote (115.5) - Ducote, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 25% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Michel Pereira
Performance of the Night: Jonathan Martinez
Fight of the Night: Sodiq Yusuff vs. Edson Barboza