DVDVR Message Board

POLL 6/5 - 6/10/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? hopefully one of these

WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Kevin Owens vs. Gunther - RAW
    • Ronda Rousey & Shayna Baszler vs. Katana Chance & Kayden Carter - RAW
    • Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Ricochet - RAW
    • Seth Rollins vs. Damian Priest - RAW
    • El Hijo de Canis Lupus & Rey Leon vs. Cerebro Negro & Cerebro Negro Jr. vs León Dorado Jr. and Mr. Leo - IWRG
    • The Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews) vs. The NOW (Hale Collins & Vik Dalishus) vs. TNT (Terrell Hughes & Terrence Hughes) vs. The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky) vs. SVGS (Blake Troop & Jax Dane) (w/Chris Silvio Esq.) vs. Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) vs. Los Vipers (Arez & Toxin) vs. The Spectaculars (Brady Pierce & Rolando Freeman) vs. Daisy Kill & Talos - NWA CROCKETT CUP NIGHT TWO
    • Angelina Love & Max The Impaler vs. Madi & Missa Kate - NWA CROCKETT CUP NIGHT TWO
    • Yota Tsuji vs. Gran Guerrero - CMLL TV
    • Brutus Creed, Ivy Nile & Julius Creed vs. Ava, Jagger Reid & Rip Fowler - NXT
    • Dana Brooke vs. Gigi Dolin vs. Fallon Henley vs. Lyra Valkyria vs. Jacy Jayne vs. Cora Jade vs. Elektra Lopez vs. Roxanne Perez vs. Valentina Feroz vs. Yulisa Leon vs. Lash Legend vs. Kiana James vs. Tatum Paxley vs. Thea Hail vs. Brooklyn Barlow vs. Jakara Jackson vs. Lola Vice vs. Kelani Jordan - NXT
    • Moose & Rich Swann vs. Jonathan Gresham & Nick Aldis - IMPACT
    • Chris Bey vs. Jason Hotch - IMPACT
    • Charlie Dempsey vs. Dante Chen - NXT LEVEL UP
    • John Hennigan vs. Willie Mack - MLW FUSION
    • Orange Cassidy vs. Swerve Strickland- DYNAMITE
    • Chuck Taylor, Rocky Romero & Trent Beretta vs. Claudio Castagnoli, Jon Moxley & Wheeler Yuta- DYNAMITE
    • Hook & Jack Perry vs. Dralistico & Preston Vance- DYNAMITE
    • Kris Statlander vs. Anna Jay AS - DYNAMITE
    • Ricky Starks vs. Jay White - DYNAMITE
    • Soma Watanabe vs. Tetsuya Izuchi - GLEAT
    • El Bendito, Flamita, Hartley Jackson & Kaito Ishida vs. Galeno Del Mal, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, Quiet Storm & Ryuichi Kawakami - GLEAT
    • Shinya Aoki vs. Takanori Ito - GLEAT
    • Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. El Desperado, Ren Narita, Mike Bailey & Shota Umino - NJPW on AXS
    • Titan vs. Master Wato - NJPW on AXS
    • Christopher Daniels vs. Kyle Fletcher - ROH
    • Dralistico vs. Willie Mack - ROH
    • Rey Fenix vs. Gravity - ROH
    • Willow Nightingale vs, Rachael Ellering - ROH
    • Madi Wrenkowski, Missa Kate, Ruthie Jay & Samantha Starr vs. Ella Envy, Kenzie Paige, Kylie Paige & Roxy - NWA POWERRR
    • Santos Escobar vs. Mustafa Ali - SMACKDOWN
    • Austin Theory vs. Jey Uso - SMACKDOWN
    • Bandido , Penta El Zero Miedo & Rey Fenix vs. Big Bill, Ethan Page & Lee Moriarty - RAMPAGE
    • Britt Baker vs Mercedes Martinez vs Nyla Rose vs Skye Blue - RAMPAGE
    • El Hijo del Vikingo, Negro Casas & Psycho Clown vs. Forastero, Sanson & Hijo de Mascara Ano 2000 - AULL
    • Dalys, Lady Shani & Sexy Star vs La Hiedra, Maravilla & Lolita - AULL
    • Blue Panther, Dark Panther & Volcano vs Gemelo Diablo I & Gemelo Diablo II & Kraneo - CMLL MARTES
    • Atlantis, Panterita del Ring Jr. & Star Jr. vs. Averno, El Barbaro Cavernario & El Hijo del Villano III - CMLL MARTES

I've figured out how I want to do these - Sunday morning, before the free YouTube show crush happens. So this week I miss out on some CMLL and Derby City but that's OK because the cup of wrestling is always overfloweth-ing. CMLL

Martes de Arena Mexico has a fun Panthers vs. Gemelos Diablo (who I like even though maybe I'm not supposed to). GLEAT had a neat Korakuen show as long as you skip the co-main - the main event is a UWFi-rules sprint that I dug. NWA PowerrR was just a Crockett Cup recap but the women's hardcore match is very much worth watching. JoMo vs. The Mack in MLW! The IWRG World Lucha tournament was a whole bunch of nothin' but a real nice tag titles match emerged from that card. Charlie Dempsey on NXT Level Up! Yeah! The best thing on Mas Lucha was an AULL show from last month featuring a DREAM TEAM of Vikingo, Negro Casas and Psycho Clown & a good women's match (w/ the new, not evil Sexy Star). And because this poll features no CMLL Viernes Espectacular I figured I'd include a bonus - apparently CMLL TV aired the Yota Tsuji vs. Gran Guerrero title match to capitalize on somma that Yota hype, so that's here for your consideration. WATCH. VOTE.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Nakamura/Ricochet was building into solid before the fuck finish. Seth/Priest was a nice first defense for Rollins showcasing himself as a fighting champ. Shayna/Ronda vs. the KCs was a shockingly good match that deserved a better audience. With that said, Gunther/Owens was fucking great and without a doubt the best match this week. Despite being put together somewhat randomly the two went out and had an easy MOTYC. Only reason i might not vote for it is to make sure other good-great matches get some notice/love. Still can't see anything else from the week coming close, and I dug a lot of what came out this past week. 

The Women's battle royal form NXT overachieved and made for a pretty fun match. Diamond Mine vs. Schism was somehow even better than expected with the match really making sure to give Ivy some nice shine while hiding Ava's flaws as best it could. Creeds and GYV/Dyad were as good as always. Good match overall and super fun.

OC/Swerve was good as expected. Digging how OC just continues to barely survive each defense. Loved BCC/CHAOS. Had a nice wild feel to it with plenty of good action. Really dug the Chaos crew getting the jump on BCC and working as the aggressors for much of the match. It didn't feel like their normal style and kind f put over how dangerous BCC is seen as. JB/Hook vs. Dralistico/Preston was a fun brawl. Kris/Anna was better than expected and easily the best I have seen Ana look in my limited viewing of her work. Just really solid work from both women. Starks/White was a good tv main event. BCC/CHAOS was the big standout here, easily one of my favorite matches this week.

Theory/Jey was pretty nice even with the overbooking for the finish. Santos/Ali impressed me more with how much they brought a slightly cold crowd into their match. Was also just a nice Escobar performance in general. 

Not voting quite yet as I still have to check out NJPW, lucha, Rampage, and probably GLEAT as well. 

So much good stuff last week. OC/Swerve would typically get my vote -- another fantastic OC match based around storytelling and selling and two guys matching wits with OC managing to catch Swerve. BCC/Chaos was a great wild brawl. Shayna/Rousey in their first defense against The KCs was really outstanding for that type of match, too. 

But man, KO/Gunther went out and had a Free TV MOTYC that would have been the best match on a bunch of minor PPVs over the past few years. It was that damn good. 

• Like 2

Women's match for AULL took half the match to actually get going, but was generally fine. Kind of skipped out on the men's match as it felt like it was heading a similar direction.

CMLL matches were fun but nothing noteworthy. 

Men's tag from Rampage was fun. Women's 4-way was just ok.

The GLEAT matches were pretty neat all around though it was the tag titles match from the same show that left me most curious just because it was my first time seeing the Saito twins. I can see why DEAN thought they were so weird. I do love that Dream Warriors is their entrance theme. Hopefully they become good enough to deserve it some day. The 8-man tag was my favorite from the show. Wish it went a few minutes longer.

The 8-man tag from NJPW was super fun. I only wish we got more of Okada being a dick to Umino and Narita. Titan/Wato was good stuff all around. Dug that both survived the other's best and that it became more of digging deep issue than one particular surefire kill move.

Gunther/KO is easily still the best match. Titan/Wato probably comes after it with BCC/Best Friends and Shanya/Ronda vs. the KCs coming after those. Went a head and gave the womne's tag a vote since it deserves a look from more people. Plenty know about the greatness of the other matches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Women's match for AULL took half the match to actually get going, but was generally fine. Kind of skipped out on the men's match as it felt like it was heading a similar direction.

CMLL matches were fun but nothing noteworthy. 

Men's tag from Rampage was fun. Women's 4-way was just ok.

The GLEAT matches were pretty neat all around though it was the tag titles match from the same show that left me most curious just because it was my first time seeing the Saito twins. I can see why DEAN thought they were so weird. I do love that Dream Warriors is their entrance theme. Hopefully they become good enough to deserve it some day. The 8-man tag was my favorite from the show. Wish it went a few minutes longer.

The 8-man tag from NJPW was super fun. I only wish we got more of Okada being a dick to Umino and Narita. Titan/Wato was good stuff all around. Dug that both survived the other's best and that it became more of digging deep issue than one particular surefire kill move.

Gunther/KO is easily still the best match. Titan/Wato probably comes after it with BCC/Best Friends and Shanya/Ronda vs. the KCs coming after those. Went a head and gave the womne's tag a vote since it deserves a look from more people. Plenty know about the greatness of the other matches.

I'm kind of kicking myself for doing the Sunday switch now, since the "comeback" episode of Friday CMLL is, uh, not geared for this poll. After Collision I'm gonna see what's up with Big Lucha's YouTube content and maybe see if I can't find a way to catch AAA's weekly. I'm reading luchablog twice as often as I used to and I'm trying to hone in on cubsfan's methods + viewing schedule.

A lot of the really mind-blowing indie lucha I'd been adding had been a month+ older than I realized and felt un-poll-worthy but there's SO much content being uploaded every week that just owns. Kills. Fucks. Rules the universe. An English language compendium on "hey here's the best indie lucha put up on YouTube this week" that doesn't adhere to a timeline would be, like, a noble pursuit and maybe one I'll get around to once I'm better at budgeting my time.

• Thanks 2