DVDVR Message Board

2022 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

apropos of nothing, but today i realized that the UFC has finally succeeded in branding all of their secondary cards "Fight Night". a few years back, i paid attention and could tell you if a card was "UFC on FOX", "UFC on FS1", or "UFC on FuelTV". hell, going back a bit further and i was super excited for all of the "UFC on Versus" cards. But i was looking back and noticed there were three "UFC on ABC" cards. i remembered the first one, but the subsequent 2 didn't register as being anything other than 'this weekend's fight card'. Is there still an unofficial hierarchy of importance (back then it was PPV>Fox>FS1/2>Fuel)? how do the ABC cards rank in importance comparative to the ESPN cards?

Obviously, if you watch all of these cards live on cable you would still be paying attention so you know where to tune in, but since i stream and/or download them all after they take place, that doesn't apply to me.  Just a weird realization i had.

I would say all three of the ABC cards are important, but I'm guessing that was ABC allowing UFC to dip their toe in the water. From what I can tell, those cards did fine but nothing great ratings wise. So if they do more main cards for TV events, it is going to be during the offseason for college football and kinda the dead period for NBA. If they don't do anymore shows on ABC between January and April, I think that it would tell you that was a one time thing.

As for a hierarchy, I would say that most of the ESPN linear cards are still good in terms of good to notable matchups. There are some that slip in that I believe should be on ESPN+, but I don't think anyone is going to complain about what amounts to a free TV card. I don't think there is a clearer sense of what the average viewer should prioritize like the Fox days cause much of it is timing. There have been some ESPN+ cards that would be a much better fit on ESPN, especially when you're trying to get certain fighters over as stars. However, it appears the same thing is going on with Top Rank boxing as well even though UFC cards offer way more bang for your TV buck. So it appears that as long as football dominates the attention stateside for five and a half months, combat sports on all the Disney owned channels are at the whim of what works best for the available space between games. 

• Thanks 1