DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 8: Lee vs. Oliveira (3/14/2020) - Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Elsalvajeloco

EP4xLEBW4AU-wEO.jpeg?1580791414

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 8: Lee vs. Oliveira 
March 14, 2020
Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Kevin Lee (158.5)* vs. Charles Oliveira (156) - Oliveira, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (0:28)
Demian Maia (170.5) vs. Gilbert Burns (170.5) - Burns, TKO (punches), R1 (2:34)
Renato Carneiro (155.5) vs. Damir Hadžović (155) - Carneiro, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (0:44)
Johnny Walker (206) vs. Nikita Krylov (206) - Krylov, DEC (unanimous)
Francisco Trinaldo (156) vs. John Makdessi (155) - Trinaldo, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Brandon Moreno (126) - Moreno, DEC (unanimous)
Randa Markos (116) vs. Amanda Ribas (115.5) - Ribas, DEC (unanimous)
Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171) vs. Alexey Kunchenko (170) - Dos Santos, DEC (unanimous)
Rani Yahya (136) vs. Enrique Barzola (136) - DRAW (majority)
Maryna Moroz (126) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (126) - Moroz, DEC (unanimous)
Bruno Silva (125.5) vs. David Dvořák (126) - Dvořák, DEC (unanimous)
Veronica Macedo (135.5) vs. Bea Malecki (136) - Malecki, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Gilbert Burns
Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira
Fight of the Night: Maryna Moroz vs. Mayra Bueno Silva

Rating: 672,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Brad Tavares vs. Antônio Carlos Júnior - Injury to Tavares (ACL) 
Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Makhmud Muradov - Injury to Carlos Júnior 
Paige VanZant vs. Amanda Ribas - Injury to VanZant (Arm) 
Bruno Silva vs. Su Mudaerji - Mudaerji Withdrew From Bout

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic
45 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This is a quietly stacked show. I dig it.

I am really intrigued with the Maia vs. Burns fight. I mean people were wondering how Maia would do against Gunnar Nelson (and just recently Ben Askren) in terms of implementing his jiu-jitsu. I don't think this Burns fight will be a walk in the park.

• Like 1

Dana trying to compete with Vince to see who can hold out the longest without cancelling dates.  I'm sure one or both will get some votes next year in the "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic" category.

4 minutes ago, AA484 said:

Dana trying to compete with Vince to see who can hold out the longest without cancelling dates.  I'm sure one or both will get some votes next year in the "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic" category.

I hardly see this as disgusting. There won't be any fans in attendance for these next few shows. Shit, Bellator is running a show tonight w/ no fans in attendance. So the UFC is basically going back to what they've done with TUF in the past and The Contender series. With this show, these guys went through a long camp and arrived in town on Monday or Tuesday (some even longer than that). The last thing most of these fighters are trying to do is go home after that without getting compensated. If you only fight so often, the options are finite.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I hardly see this as disgusting. There won't be any fans in attendance for these next few shows. Shit, Bellator is running a show tonight w/ no fans in attendance. So the UFC is basically going back to what they've done with TUF in the past and The Contender series. With this show, these guys went through a long camp and arrived in town on Monday or Tuesday (some even longer than that). The last thing most of these fighters are trying to do is go home after that without getting compensated. If you only fight so often, the options are finite.

I guess I'm referring more to him trying to keep events running into the future as opposed to still putting on the Brazil event.

18 minutes ago, AA484 said:

I guess I'm referring more to him trying to keep events running into the future as opposed to still putting on the Brazil event.

ONE FC is still running their shows. They cancelled one card, but the rest are happening behind closed doors until 5/29. Prior to that, they did a show in Singapore behind closed doors in late February. The coronavirus pandemic started in Singapore a month prior to that.

Keep in mind, WWE is still trying to run shows with fans STILL in attendance and then running a show in a stadium FULL of fans in a city with confirmed cases. The UFC is basically doing what every other combat organization/promotion is doing. This is far from disgusting.

It seems irresponsible to me.  Glory cancelled both of their cards.  Fight camps create risky situations, too.  All it takes is for one fighter on a card to test positive or show symptoms (in a Rudy Gobert-like situation) and the card is done anyway.  It's not like it couldn't happen right in the middle of it, either.  They stopped everything in that NBA game.  Fighters are notoriously stubborn and I guarantee that there are many out there who would go into a fight with symptoms or with the knowledge that they have been around someone with symptoms just because they don't want to negate the hard work they have put in.  They wouldn't be anything special in this situation as everyone is having to inconvenience themselves and some with more at stake than these guys (jobs, livelihood, etc.).  I just think it is irresponsible behavior by both Vince and Dana considering what the world is going through.

Edited by AA484

On 3/11/2020 at 9:48 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am really intrigued with the Maia vs. Burns fight. I mean people were wondering how Maia would do against Gunnar Nelson (and just recently Ben Askren) in terms of implementing his jiu-jitsu. I don't think this Burns fight will be a walk in the park.

That's the fight I'm most into.  Demian Maia's BJJ is amazing, really enjoyed when Maia/Askren went to the ground. I said to my Dad and Sister watching with me that when Maia takes you to the floor, you're fucked.

1 minute ago, AA484 said:

Fighters are notoriously stubborn and I guarantee that there are many out there who would go into a fight with symptoms

1. You see that they remove fighters who get ill from weight cuts. The likelihood of an ill fighter making it to the cage is slim to none. And that's not me trying to be cocky as much as we've seen fighters be removed from fighters for less. As someone who actually tabulates which fights are canceled and why, I can confidently say that.

2. The UFC can actually afford to take precaution and test fighters. Now, Top Rank for example got caught off guard for there cards at the Hulu Theater (that eventually got cancelled), and it sounded like pure chaos there. They were planning to test their principal fighters (Shakur Stevenson, Miguel Marriaga, etc.), but it was too little, too late. Now, the UFC at least has a heads up of what to do in the future.

3. As much as we could probably shit on CABMMA, being a commissioned sport actually helps in this case. A Rudy Gobert or a Donovan Mitchell isn't doing medicals and bloodwork from game to game. The NBA was fucked because these guys are going from town to town every other night. They HAD to shut down because they could have been on some patient zero shit. Stick and ball sports are going to have a much tougher time with this, and it shows because all of them were forced to suspend play. In combat sports (unless you're dealing with weekend warriors and in the case of UFC, the lower card guys aren't freelance until they get cut), you don't have to worry about a guy fighting in city A one week and then fighting in city B and C the few days or few weeks. You get some fighters who serve as late replacements who fought just weeks prior, but that's still few and far between when to take into account how big the roster actually is. You can basically force these guys to stay in the hotel and closed off areas.

Again, it makes no sense to put Dana in the same league as Vince on this matter.

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Way to keep talent informed.

The governor of Brasilia made the call earlier in the week, but there was little clarification as to what contingency plans were for people holding events already in place. Keep in mind, the large gathering ban is only to this coming Monday (which is very odd). I am safely assuming the fighters can't possibly know anything if the organization has no clue and is in communication with the local government to see what the hell is going on. It's not like this situation happens every day.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

1. You see that they remove fighters who get ill from weight cuts. The likelihood of an ill fighter making it to the cage is slim to none. And that's not me trying to be cocky as much as we've seen fighters be removed from fighters for less. As someone who actually tabulates which fights are canceled and why, I can confidently say that.

2. The UFC can actually afford to take precaution and test fighters. Now, Top Rank for example got caught off guard for there cards at the Hulu Theater (that eventually got cancelled), and it sounded like pure chaos there. They were planning to test their principal fighters (Shakur Stevenson, Miguel Marriaga, etc.), but it was too little, too late. Now, the UFC at least has a heads up of what to do in the future.

3. As much as we could probably shit on CABMMA, being a commissioned sport actually helps in this case. A Rudy Gobert or a Donovan Mitchell isn't doing medicals and bloodwork from game to game. The NBA was fucked because these guys are going from town to town every other night. They HAD to shut down because they could have been on some patient zero shit. Stick and ball sports are going to have a much tougher time with this, and it shows because all of them were forced to suspend play. In combat sports (unless you're dealing with weekend warriors and in the case of UFC, the lower card guys aren't freelance until they get cut), you don't have to worry about a guy fighting in city A one week and then fighting in city B and C the few days or few weeks. You get some fighters who serve as late replacements who fought just weeks prior, but that's still few and far between when to take into account how big the roster actually is. You can basically force these guys to stay in the hotel and closed off areas.

Again, it makes no sense to put Dana in the same league as Vince on this matter.

What about training partners?  Can a fighter trust that their partners are doing their due diligence to not be irresponsible with the illness?  These guys spend a lot of time with each other in the gym but besides the fighters and the main coaches most of them have jobs outside the gym and, depending on their levels of personal responsibility, social lives that they may still be trying to adhere too.  I think we may make it to a card or two before one or more major fights on a card take a hit and is decimated as a result.  They may have a monopoly on the sport game right now but nobody is gonna tune in to watch a card headlined by (no offense) Jack Marshman and Kevin Holland.

Just now, AA484 said:

What about training partners?  Can a fighter trust that their partners are doing their due diligence to not be irresponsible with the illness?  These guys spend a lot of time with each other in the gym but besides the fighters and the main coaches most of them have jobs outside the gym and, depending on their levels of personal responsibility, social lives that they may still be trying to adhere too. 

I would be more worried about the UFC staff than your average training partner. The UFC staff (at least the ones that go from event to event on the ground) is going to interact with multiple people including fighters because they have to. A careless training partner is likely to not even be part of a fighter's team when they get to town on that Monday or Tuesday. If they only give per diem to two or three people max, how many training partners are you bringing to an event? So lets say person A transfers the virus to the fighter and/or a coach even person A doesn't end going to the event. If they end up testing the fighter, which they will likely do for these upcoming events, odds are a positive test would result in a quarantine. Add in the likelihood that they are telling all parties to not make unnecessary physical contact with anyone, not to leave certain areas of the venue and fighter hotels, etc. There are many things you can do to mitigate that. With the actual staff, it is much tougher cause there is no set routine. 

16 minutes ago, AA484 said:

I think we may make it to a card or two before one or more major fights on a card take a hit and is decimated as a result.  They may have a monopoly on the sport game right now but nobody is gonna tune in to watch a card headlined by (no offense) Jack Marshman and Kevin Holland.

Well, fights fall out all the time. It's actually been much better over the last two years than say 2014-2016 where it was rampant. In essence, a fighter getting this virus is the same as any other reason for these guys pulling out of fights. A guy (Movsar Evolev) had nasty motorcycle accident and couldn't fight at UFC 248. You get all types of crazy shit happening. They survived the few years I mentioned just above which was fucking brutal...I think they can survive this. If it gets worse than this, then all sports in general are bleak. It won't just be UFC.

But this is different than a motorcycle accident.  This virus could potentially effect any fighter at any time, not just those that own motorcycles.  And 2014-2016 just seemed to be a freak time of injuries and illnesses and cancellations - not a global pandemic which could potentially effect any gym.  I just think it is risky unless the fighters are able to ensure that everyone they come in contact with before a fight has not been exposed to it some form or fashion, which may be difficult considering the dearth in testing and the fact that it can be transmitted between people before symptoms even appear.  I wouldn't be totally surprised if public transportation to the UK became restricted as is the case for the rest of Europe.  That would probably result in the cancellation of the card.  I know it is only a week away but the UK isn't exactly trending in the right direction as far as cases are concerned, having gone up 500+ within the past 24 hours.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AA484 said:

But this is different than a motorcycle accident.  This virus could potentially effect any fighter at any time, not just those that own motorcycles. 

That was just one example. You can look at countless example of god knows what in any event thread I start.

And 2014-2016 just seemed to be a freak time of injuries and illnesses and cancellations - not a global pandemic which could potentially effect any gym.  I just think it is risky unless the fighters are able to ensure that everyone they come in contact with before a fight has not been exposed to it some form or fashion, which may be difficult considering the dearth in testing and the fact that it can be transmitted between people before symptoms even appear. I wouldn't be totally surprised if public transportation to the UK became restricted as is the case for the rest of Europe.  That would probably result in the cancellation of the card.  I know it is only a week away but the UK isn't exactly trending in the right direction as far as cases are concerned, having gone up 500+ within the past 24 hours.

No, my point was all fights and cards are subject to change. Since that aforementioned time period, Dana White seems to be accustomed to this. I think the issue here is that no matter what smaller teams/gyms are going to be at risk because the safety protocols likely won't exist. It's just the truth. However, bigger teams like American Top Team would likely have something in place. Now what they have to do is not have people flying in from Russia, Brazil, or wherever like they usually do. I pretty much see something happening where if you don't live in Broward County, Dade County, or Palm Beach County or even in the dorms they have, you cannot travel/come in and train there. I believe that would over for the time being, and that would go for other teams like Jackson/Wink, AKA, the MMA Lab, etc. In addition, they are under scrutiny now of how they deal with this. Not just UFC. If they allow someone to go to a UFC event with coronavirus and it gets revealed, they are going to get thrown clean under the bus. Hence, why I feel that they (these teams) are going to do their best to have preventative measures (as much as you can in a contact sport).

As far as a straight up cancellation...I don't think they are going to fight any decision where cancellation is only sensible option. They are more likely to take a bath and then some on at least one or more cards for the foreseeable future. If this goes past a certain timeframe, I think any future planned card is going to be at the Apex Center.

Again, if the UFC is bombarded with troubles due to the coronavirus, it won't be just them. It would be everyone. However, I don't see it being irrational to do what they are currently doing. If they were trying to do this in front of fans and trying to go against the wishes of local officials, I would be all over them. That would be disgusting.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Unless the UFC.com listing is wrong and Dana's tweet just now is also incorrect, this entire card will be on both ESPN and ESPN+.

Given the growing dearth of sports activities for the various sports outlets to cover, this is a pretty cool thing to do.

Pretty soon we'll down to watching stuff like Cricket and pro Jai Alai.

Prepare to see last year's NBA finals on heavy rotation on Hardwood Classics.

Edited by J.T.