DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 8: Lee vs. Oliveira (3/14/2020) - Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Given the growing dearth of sports activities for the various sports outlets to cover, this is a pretty cool thing to do.

Pretty soon we'll down to watching stuff like Cricket and pro Jai Alai.

Prepare to see last year's NBA finals on heavy rotation on Hardwood Classics.

(Shakur) Stevenson vs. Marriaga was not a great fight on paper and probably more of a showcase, but it's still boxing. Now, that isn't even on the table for Saturday. The PBC card with a returning James Kirkland was also suppose to be on Saturday as well, but it's in Maryland so it got PPD. 

The only good thing about this is now I don't have to flip back and forth.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Bellator just cancelled tonight's show, how long til UFC does the same for tomorrow?

That Bellator show for the past few days sounded touch and go. I'm surprised they even went through the trouble of doing weigh-ins. Unless the UFC gets some pushback locally or big news breaks regarding a fighter falling ill, I expect this show to go on.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

This show is airing on ESPN at 3 PM today?

(I don't follow MMA at all, but I'd probably tune in to catch this show since live sports are kinda scarce right now.)

Correct.

It's not that surreal to hear these prelims not get reactions but to not even hear a smattering of applause during introductions is something else. Or when fighters are throwing leather and there's nothing other than the announcers and corners.

1 minute ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I will say this translates a lot better to a mostly empty arena than the WWE does.  Maybe it's because they have higher production values than last night's show, or because I don't watch enough UFC to really notice the difference, but I notice the empty arena a lot less.

The UFC generally dims the lights, particularly during the prelims IIRC so it's not nearly as noticeable from a visual perspective. 

Edited by Oyaji

Just now, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I will say this translates a lot better to a mostly empty arena than the WWE does.  Maybe it's because they have higher production values than last night's show, or because I don't watch enough UFC to really notice the difference, but I notice the empty arena a lot less.

They've had a lot of practice at this with The Ultimate Fighter.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It's not that surreal to hear these prelims not get reactions but to not even hear a smattering of applause during introductions is something else. Or when fighters are throwing leather and there's nothing other than the announcers and corners.

The UFC generally dims the lights, particularly during the prelims IIRC so it's not nearly as noticeable from a visual perspective. 

Yeah, dimming the lighting definitely helps.  

I don't really notice the lack of crowd noise, but I"ve only seen a handful of fights before in my life, so I'm not sure what a bout normally sounds like.

It's not really jarring until the round ends. Usually there's a crowd reaction to both fighters surviving the round, or fans of whoever's on the bottom being happy that they get a clock escape. But instead it goes silent.

I hate it when one fighter clearly loses the first two rounds, and then their corner tells them that whoever wins the third round wins the fight. Tell them they're deep in a hole and can only win with a stoppage.

Nothing to stop the undercard fighters taking an arena seat for the main events, is there?

Not sure about that draw. I didn't have Yahya winning the first. The third was clearly a 10-8, and Yahya getting the second I have no problem with. But the first? He didn't really do anything or have any advantageous positions. He took a lot of damage too. Barzola 29-27 for me.

1 minute ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

How long do UFC telecasts usually last?  Apparently, the main card doesn’t start until around 6 pm and they just mentioned SportsCenter starting at midnight?  Is the show really going to go on for another six hours?

They're going to replay UFC 246 again.

2 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

How long do UFC telecasts usually last?  Apparently, the main card doesn’t start until around 6 pm and they just mentioned SportsCenter starting at midnight?  Is the show really going to go on for another six hours?

Main Cards are usually scheduled for Three hours with a half hour optional overrun. Prelims used to be 1 hour on Fight Pass, then 2 hours on TV, but I don't know what ESPN USA do now.

That was another dominant performance in a fight that seemed like it might be quite even on paper. But she just won in every phase of the fight. If there had been a crowd, they would have been going crazy (especially with all of the Brazilians losing so far).

Also, a lot of the Women's divisions are kind of getting cleared out by dominant champions. Wait, she's a strawweight, never mind. Lots of name fighters (ie most of the top 15) who are more gatekeepers than contenders in that division.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

That was another dominant performance in a fight that seemed like it might be quite even on paper. But she just won in every phase of the fight. If there had been a crowd, they would have been going crazy (especially with all of the Brazilians losing so far).

Also, a lot of the Women's divisions are kind of getting cleared out by dominant champions. Wait, she's a strawweight, never mind. Lots of name fighters (ie most of the top 15) who are more gatekeepers than contenders in that division.

I think Ribas is top 10 right now easily. I would like to see them continue to build her up there. She has a ton of star potential.

Anyway, Brandon Moreno might not be the most technical fighter but he has quietly turned his career around. It's clear his first UFC tenure was too much, too soon.

I like that all the arenas in Brazil still look like the coliseums from the 1970s that have been now demolished here in the US.

Of course, Wikipedia shows that Ginasio Nilson Nelson was built in 1973. It held a Jackson 5 concert there in 1974. Now it's empty and Amanda Ribas is cutting adorable promos and calling Michael Bisping "Steve". What a world we live in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1