DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

If you wanted to know who would win a sumo match, Rumble Johnson or Curtis Blaydes, here you go:

There was someone on here who talked about sumo a lot...I wonder what that person would think of this.

Now that there is the UFC / ESPN PPV deal, what is the back catalog situation? Is Fight Pass still a thing? Has the archive moved to ESPN+? Do I, as a regular old Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ subscriber have access to that archive if it exists?  If it does exist, how quickly do events show up? Or if I want to watch older fights, do I have to make a full-price purchase or subscribe to another service to do so?

Edited by grilledcheese

23 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Now that there is the UFC / ESPN PPV deal, what is the back catalog situation? Is Fight Pass still a thing? Has the archive moved to ESPN+? Do I, as a regular old Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ subscriber have access to that archive if it exists?  If it does exist, how quickly do events show up? Or if I want to watch older fights, do I have to make a full-price purchase or subscribe to another service to do so?

I have to check, but I believe anything that has aired on ESPN/ESPN+/ESPN2 is available on on ESPN+. However, anything that was PPV (whether it was regular PPV or ESPN+ PPV) would be on Fight Pass. I remember seeing a tweet saying that UFC 246 (McGregor vs. Cerrone) is now available on Fight Pass which goes along with the longstanding 30 day grace period before a PPV appears on Fight Pass. So Fight Pass is still the destination for the complete catalog and will be for the foreseeable future. The thing is UFC use to be on Spike so they wouldn't able to have the rights to have Spike fights in their entirety on ESPN+. When they were doing those fight/event compilation shows on FS1, I don't remember any fights from old TUF finales and Fight Nights in the Spike era unless it was on Fox Deportes and I missed it. Now airing PPV bouts from the Spike era is a whole different issue because that was PPV that the UFC produced. You would think the Fox era stuff would be on ESPN+ with the sale to Disney, but I don't think that's the case because we would have heard about it.

I mean you can look into it more yourself, but as far as I know, anything that aired previously on any ESPN outlet would be on ESPN+ for your subscription price. Just use the search function on ESPN+. They probably or even likely have recent ESPN+ PPVs available on ESPN+, but that might be something extra. That you would definitely have to look into. However, unless it's a PPV that hasn't reached the 30 day grace period like the Jones vs. Reyes PPV in Houston or the PPV coming up this weekend, everything should be available on Fight Pass.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

Ryan Hall is back for his annual fight!

Also, the fallout from the Norfolk card is Ion Cutelaba appealing his loss to the Virginia commission. In addition, we might get a rematch between Benavidez and Deiveson Figueiredo. Does Benavidez need to be thinking about doing this fight again after what he even admitted was a crushing loss? I don't see this going better the second time around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So lemme get this straight: Brian Ortega slapped Jay Park - Korean Zombie's translator- for translating what Zombie said about Ortega ducking him? 

Max Holloway may have given him brain damage.

• Like 1

In case you were like me and were wondering how he was doing in terms of shape. Rumble at heavyweight could do some real damage. Maybe that's eventually where the Jones fight happens?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

In case you were like me and were wondering how he was doing in terms of shape. Rumble at heavyweight could do some real damage. Maybe that's eventually where the Jones fight happens?

Personally, I think the best use of Rumble would be going back and forth between Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight. Basically, it would be the "moneyweight" concept King Mo use to talk about. One problem is Rumble is not a young guy and that cut down to 205 could be brutal. Another problem is it seems like that we're averaging a Heavyweight title fight every seven months at best. So the path forward to a Jones vs. Rumble fight at heavyweight would take awhile. The renewed interest of Jones staying at Light Heavyweight doesn't help matters either. So why worry about that when you can do Rumble vs. JDS or Rumble vs. Ngannou or Rumble vs. Lewis or Rumble vs. Volkov right now? Then, let whatever happens happen organically as opposed to do a fight that probably passed its expiration date several years ago. JBJ vs. Rumble was a very intriguing fight five years ago, but it wasn't exactly Mayweather vs. Pacquiao where it looked like it was dead for two and a half years after the previous three years of it being built up. That fight was bolstered by there being a new story every 2-3 months and everytime they would get asked about the other guy after either guy fought. Rumble has been out of the scene for a minute, and there are actual competent challengers to the LHW throne.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:32 AM, Oyaji said:

Amazing that Anthony Johnson fought at Welterweight...well, when he made that weight limit.

Edited by The Natural