DVDVR Message Board

UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington (5/12/2018) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Cezar Ferreira has come a long way from the guy who use to stand in front of people and get absolutely mopped up. Roberson was a really good prospect and Mutante just ran through him.

25 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For better or worse, the UFC is going to put a lot behind Mackenzie Dern. Fortunately, tonight was for better. 

Fighters not making weight, especially repeat offenders and pissing hot annoys me.

Pennington is probably so happy this is over and she's going to kill her coach after this for convincing her to go back in.

EDIT: Am dumb. Let something Anik said make me think Pennington was married to a dude. I have no idea why I would let one remark I probably didn't even hear right change what I know. So, so dumb.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Pennington is probably so happy this is over and she's going to kill her coach (husband?) after this for convincing her to go back in.

Poor Tecia.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Poor Tecia.

So, I know 99.999999% Raquel is gay. And then, I think Anik, said something about her husband, and I got all twisted up. lol

• Haha 2

So...I can't think of another fighter who turned to their corner right before the 5th round and wanted to end it only to get talked out of it by their coach. And then for the fight to end like that with Pennington's eye all fucked up and nose gushing all kinds of blood because it's been crushed in ways that Rich Franklin would be familiar with.

So what should her coach have done? Called the fight? Don't you want to protect your fighter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

On tonight's episode of Horrific MMA Cornering....

In honor of this you could post that gif of Pennington's current or former coach with that weird clip from a wrestling practice. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

So...I can't think of another fighter who turned to their corner right before the 5th round and wanted to end it only to get talked out of it by their coach.

Gilbert Melendez did in his last fight, but it wasn't a 5 rounder.

MMA really needs to get over this refusal to retire in one's corner. It takes more fortitude to recognize you've been defeated and call it a day before your body takes (more?) permanent damage. Fuck that coach. If there were any doubt, the first seconds of the fight was all you needed to know how this would play out. Pennington is not even in the same realm as Nunes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

In honor of this you could post that gif of Pennington's current or former coach with that weird clip from a wrestling practice. 

That would be Marc Fiore, who trained Raquel up until recently, who has that bizarre moment on TUF more than a decade ago. He owned a gym called Altitude MMA in Colorado Springs, which is closed. That's not to be confused with one of the hundred million American Top Team affiliates, ATT Altitude that Bobby Lashley was apart of that also no longer exists.

Raquel is at some new(?) gym in Colorado Springs w/ Tecia and brought in JJ Aldrich (who is with 303 Training Center and a teammate of Rose). I know Raquel isn't making money hand over fist so I can't judge her too harsh for staying put in Colorado Springs and she's a honestly a fringe contender at best, but you get what you pay for.