DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

While I was feeling like absolute death and not on the show, executive producer Eric Van Wagenen was on my podcast last night and dropped a ton of info on season 4 and how it will work:

Edited by RIPPA
Paste as Plain Text

• 2 months later...

Uproxx has an article on the new temple that states that tickets will be up for grabs sometime tomorrow.  I'm not into going anymore (I'm working on my teaching credential and don't have weekend time to do this shit) but if you're looking to go, pay attention to their social media tomorrow.

It's a weird deal. I want to be excited for them actually coming back and I'm sure I will eventually be excited whenever these shows make it onto TV but from a realistic standpoint... new location, probably no Dario, lots of talent turnover, lower budget so probably very different looking show... I dunno... makes you wonder why they are even bothering? The hype for LU is lagely non-existent these days outside of a group of fans smaller than the Impact fanbase. It just comes off as something that should be put to bed but they aren't going to let it. And the entire purpose here seems to be film a television show that has proven not to be something that gets a huge audience, meanwhile they have zero merchandise possibilites going forward and refuse to admit they are a wrestling company so they won't set up any tours. I just keep going back to the question 'what's the point?'

You know how into shit I was, man, and if I'm over it even when they end the last season with my favorite guy winning the belt, it's not a good sign.  You gotta do this shit rapid fire or people lose interest.  When even your biggest supporters are kind of losing interest, it's like come on man, you're fucking up.

No major merch rollout.  No DVD/Blu Ray in the states, season 3 isn't even on Netflix yet, it's like dude, I was cool being the company zealot for a while but even I know when to throw in the towel when I see the whole system is growth adverse to begin with.

I like the show, I'll watch it on TV.  I'm not going to get tickets then still have to camp out to get a place in line to get my choice of seats.  I'm not going to stand in three fucking lines all day to get into the show.  I have too much school work for that shit now and my job is conflicting with them taping Fridays now - and I'm not interested enough to make any sacrifices for it.

I know they're working with significantly lower budgets this season too so it's not like I expect things to magically be better or anything.  It's like I don't know exactly where my excitement died but I was kind of over it while season 3 was still taping.  I enjoy the show, it's a good show and everyone should watch it, but I'm not going to be as much as a flag waving weirdo for it as I was in the past.

Dorian Roldan is still part of the picture, remember that.

• Sad 1

Take this with however many grains of salt as you want but X-Pac said on his latest podcast that Lucha Underground reached out to him for season for and they were on the same page then he brought up the WWE Legends Contract and said he had to get the ok from them He got the ok and LU stopped the conversation.

It's strange to me that their was so many directions LU could have gone and they didn't. They started doing live shows or did live shows but never went further with it. They could have tapped the Southwest market (Southern California to West Texas) and I think they would have done ok. It's an untapped market and they had a roster they could have toured with and did well. The biggest problem they had was wanting to be a tv show about wrestling and not branching out to become a wrestling show with tv.

The entire LU midset is something I'll never get. I know for a fact they had the chance to be part of WM weekend 2 years in a row and could have easily sold a show with how much buzz they had but they were in, then out, then in and finally out with the excuse they had a tour planned and wanted to wait to do that. That tour never happened obviously. Either time.

It always came off to me that the people with the final say looked at how much money a live show could make and if it was 5 figures they just scoffed at it not being worth it because these are guys who deal with multi-million dollar productions on a regular basis. Meanwhile even just one 5 figure payoff could have helped the company even just by paying the small costs that add up.

The people most excited for LU's return is probably Arolucha because they are the touring group who wants to try to make money off shows while LU gives their guys free TV time.

It probably will air on SamuraiTV. They aired all three seasons everyone else that was a normal TV deal (not Netflix)

The other thing about Arolucha is they ran a single TV taping, were blown away by the response, and were able to put together (or put the finishing touches) on 10 live shows right away. It didn't seem that hard for them to do it. It's a matter of wanting to do it.

(We should probably make a new thread.)

On 11/16/2017 at 2:59 PM, Tromatagon said:

So many people stealing shit from that show without attributing it to us.

I don't know how Meltzer handles it, I want to cut off their hands

Welcome to the Internet where creators get sh*t on every day for doing all of the hard work.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic