DVDVR Message Board

2015 Fantasy Baseball Thread.

The Man Known as Dan

So a year to the day the 2014 thread started, here is the 2015 one.

So I mentioned starting a keeper league in the Spring Training thread and I've done it on ESPN. I'm still filtering through information on how to set up specifics in it, but the league is setup. If anyone wants in, go ahead and send me a pm with there email and I'll send an invite. And also, thoughts on how things should be setup are completely open, so here's the basic questions

Draft Style: Snake or Auction

Scoring: Currently Offensive: BAA, HR, R, SB, OPS. Pitching: ERA, W, WHIP, K, SV

Roster: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, UTIL, UTIL, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P

With 10 bench and 5 DL spots

Keepers: Currently have 8, though figuring out certain rules regarding keepers is the interesting part.

Oh, also, not a money league.

Yeah, I'm bowing out this year. To be honest, the most fun part of these things to me is the draft itself. After that, it is kind of a slog for me. Thanks to everybody who joined in my leagues over the past several years. Despite what I just said, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll be back doing this again next year after I've had a year off.

I find all ESPN leagues to be horrific.

I have never done a keeper league online (where the system remembers keepers, etc...) but that is mainly since it has been a decade since I did a keeper league. So I have no idea if anyone else is good.

But yeah - yahoo I might consider joining. ESPN is a non-starter for me.

Because I am an idiot - I will join

Rosters are WAY too big. I understand making it bigger since it is a keeper league - but I would slice the bench in half (5-6) and have no more than 3 DL spots. You can also eliminate two UTL spots and then you are around 25. I think that works better because I feel like it will encourage folks to pay a little more attention to roster construction (of course that could be a pipe dream). And if you slice the keepers down to maybe 5 - then you don't need a bigger roster. I think every time I have done a keeper league the # of keepers was 3 so even 5 seems gluttonous.

Other ideas from me (these I don't really care either way just preference)

Snake draft

Add one scoring category for both Batting and Pitching. K/BB seems to be the best option for pitching or K/9 (unless you want to do Holds which is always amusing for the run on middle relievers). For batting - Just put in RBIs since I think most of us are used to that being a standard stat. Otherwise, I guess it is either Hits or maybe something like Total Bases. But again - if we are doing counting stats (which are fine for this - then RBIs is the easiest)

Can I still have Nick Johnson as one of my keepers? For all time's sake?

Because I am an idiot - I will join

Rosters are WAY too big. I understand making it bigger since it is a keeper league - but I would slice the bench in half (5-6) and have no more than 3 DL spots. You can also eliminate two UTL spots and then you are around 25. I think that works better because I feel like it will encourage folks to pay a little more attention to roster construction (of course that could be a pipe dream). And if you slice the keepers down to maybe 5 - then you don't need a bigger roster. I think every time I have done a keeper league the # of keepers was 3 so even 5 seems gluttonous.

Other ideas from me (these I don't really care either way just preference)

Snake draft

Add one scoring category for both Batting and Pitching. K/BB seems to be the best option for pitching or K/9 (unless you want to do Holds which is always amusing for the run on middle relievers). For batting - Just put in RBIs since I think most of us are used to that being a standard stat. Otherwise, I guess it is either Hits or maybe something like Total Bases. But again - if we are doing counting stats (which are fine for this - then RBIs is the easiest)

Can I still have Nick Johnson as one of my keepers? For all time's sake?

Thinking about it, I agree on the roster size, and actually had decreased the bench to six when I switched over to Yahoo. I'm also incredibly tempted to add the holds stat. I added RBI's and K/BB for now, and I'm liking the look of it.

The main thing I've been trying to come up with is a keeper rule that makes sense. 5 works, but I was thinking of a rule that starting the second year, you can only keep 3 of your first 5 picks to keep the draft well stocked, and if we do go further then that, you can only keep 3 of your previous years 5 keepers.

As for the interest, I'm pretty happy about it, and will send messages to send invites after I get off work.

I dunno how it would work with baseball, but I like the keeper rules I use for football with my buddies.

Basically you can keep up to 3 players (probably more because it's baseball) and it costs you 2 rounds earlier then where you picked them or what round they counted as the previous year (so to keep a 11th rounder the 2nd year would cost you a 9th, the following year a 7th).  No one drafted in round 1-3 can be kept the next year and after 3 years of ownership they're released back into the draft pool.

It's a nice mix of rewarding good later round drafting, while keeping the draft well stocked, not completely screwing you over if you don't have a good set of keepers or preventing someone from having such outrageously good keepers that the league is pretty much over before the draft even starts.

I dunno how it would work with baseball, but I like the keeper rules I use for football with my buddies.

Basically you can keep up to 3 players (probably more because it's baseball) and it costs you 2 rounds earlier then where you picked them or what round they counted as the previous year (so to keep a 11th rounder the 2nd year would cost you a 9th, the following year a 7th).  No one drafted in round 1-3 can be kept the next year and after 3 years of ownership they're released back into the draft pool.

It's a nice mix of rewarding good later round drafting, while keeping the draft well stocked, not completely screwing you over if you don't have a good set of keepers or preventing someone from having such outrageously good keepers that the league is pretty much over before the draft even starts.

You know, I wasn't sure Yahoo would let me do it this way, but it will. And I really like this format, so I think that's what were going to do if there are no objections.

So here's what I have at present: Head to Head League, Snake Draft with Straight Drafts in years ahead (though I think I'm going to do a RNG to determine who gets first pick out of non playoff teams), scoring is Runs, BAA, HR, RBI, SB, OPS for offense, W, ERA, WHIP, SV, K's, K/BB for pitching, 5 keepers per year max, with each player you keep costing you a pick two rounds higher in the draft. Sound good so far?

I actually prefer Rotisserie to HTH myself, but I think with the keeper thing no playoff format could lead to an iffy league. Half way through the season we could e down to 3 teams actually competing for a the title and whoever else is left just kinda waiting around, trying to trade for some better future assets.If others prefer Rotiseree, I can change it back to that.

On, some further notes.

I've been considering trying to figure in non drafted free agents rule of "if they weren't drafted, they can't be kept." If that sounds good. And any player you acquire in a trade is treated like you drafted them in whatever round, if that wasn't obvious.

Also, I was thinking of a "year limit" in which you can only keep a player do many years in a row. Any thoughts would be appreciated.