DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

A lot of people view these RT ratings as 53% = F and 88% = B+  etc (not saying you are doing this, Stennick)...   but when you think about it, 53% of the critics liking Amazing Spider-Man 2 isn't that bad is it? It's not certified fresh but it's still more than half..   It just means its divisive.

Right.

I never checked the average rating on ASM2, but Man of Steel was right around 3/5 iirc.  Which is literally the line between fresh and rotten on their scale (in fact, critics can pick whether a 3/5 or 6/10 etc is counted as fresh or rotten) meaning it got a fairly bad percentage, but a much more mediocre average rating.

And speaking for myself, there are few movies that I have ever seen that both have as many moments and things that I love and that I hate as Man of Steel.

92% after 100+ reviews, motherfuckers. Where are all those Marvel Studios fanboys at now? Wah Wah FOX can't do anything right... raping the characters.. allow the rights to revert back... wahh wahh

Has anyone really said Fox is incapable of making good X-Men movies? I don't think so. They have a bunch. People just want them to revert to Marvel because they wanna see those characters (especially Wolverine) interacting with Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and the gang.

I have said it before.  More than once.

And, as mentioned many times before, I'm a lifelong DC fanboy who has much less emotional investment in Marvel.  It's not my fault DC hasn't made a movie as good as Avengers or First Avenger since the late 70's.

Oh my God. That was PERFECT. Absolutely fucking perfect! I can't believe how much I'm smiling right now.

Seriously. You guys. That blew my mind. I thought Cap 2 was gonna be as good as it gets. I was wrong.

Wow.

• Like 2

I have said it before.  More than once.

And, as mentioned many times before, I'm a lifelong DC fanboy who has much less emotional investment in Marvel.  It's not my fault DC hasn't made a movie as good as Avengers or First Avenger since the late 70's.

In my opinion TDK is better than Avengers. Thats about it though. Really though outside of a few failed Superman movies and a GL movie they haven't exactly put a lot of their properties on the big screen. Not like Marvel. Anyway I didn't enjoy Avengers that much. I thought it was ok but not even close to even the best Marvel movie. I liked both X Men movies, the first two Spidermans, Iron Man and Captain America all better off the top of my head. 

A lot of people view these RT ratings as 53% = F and 88% = B+  etc (not saying you are doing this, Stennick)...   but when you think about it, 53% of the critics liking Amazing Spider-Man 2 isn't that bad is it? It's not certified fresh but it's still more than half..   It just means its divisive.

Yeah and you're right a lot do. I think I was talking more in terms of other movies such as Iron Man 3, Hell the first Hulk film has like a 63. So I guess for it to be ten points lower than some of the more panned movies seems shocking to me. Again I didn't like the movie all that much but I thought it had its good moments. Certainly liked it more than IM 2 and 3. 

Well, branching out from Marvel Studios, I definitely prefer Spider-Man 2 (to actually every superhero movie ever made) but that's about it.  Not that X2 isn't really good, but I don't like it as much, you know?

Also, I have to wait until tomorrow to see DoFP, so STOP TAUNTING ME FRESH~!

Yeah and you're right a lot do. I think I was talking more in terms of other movies such as Iron Man 3, Hell the first Hulk film has like a 63. So I guess for it to be ten points lower than some of the more panned movies seems shocking to me. Again I didn't like the movie all that much but I thought it had its good moments. Certainly liked it more than IM 2 and 3. 

Well, it's not nearly as good as the first Hulk film!  (yeah, I remain one of the like 10 people in the world who liked that movie.  Wait, it's only 9 now, Ebert died and now I'm sad again.)

I probably liked it more than IM 2, definitely not more than IM 3*.  Someone else said that it kinda paid for the sins of the entire current superhero movie thing, with critics kind of drawing a line in the sand with just how much it's clearly purely product and not art.

*I really liked Iron Man 3 a lot, and it was the rare superhero movie that I think was actually better the second time I watched it.  But it, much like MoS and TDKR, tends to be extremely divisive.

Well, it's not nearly as good as the first Hulk film!  (yeah, I remain one of the like 10 people in the world who liked that movie.  Wait, it's only 9 now, Ebert died and now I'm sad again.)

I probably liked it more than IM 2, definitely not more than IM 3*.  Someone else said that it kinda paid for the sins of the entire current superhero movie thing, with critics kind of drawing a line in the sand with just how much it's clearly purely product and not art.

*I really liked Iron Man 3 a lot, and it was the rare superhero movie that I think was actually better the second time I watched it.  But it, much like MoS and TDKR, tends to be extremely divisive.

Man I HATED Iron Man 3. I hated Iron Man 2 as well. From the trailers I thought Whiplash was going to just fucking wreck Iron Man. Then I find out he gets one really good scene, then he becomes a corporate pawn for an evil businessman. Then Iron Man 3 comes out and I thought the Mandarin was going to WRECK Iron Man. Then I find out he gets a FEW good scenes before he's revealed to be a corporate pawn for an evil businessman. Superman returns was pretty awful. As was the first Hulk movie. Spiderman 2 was amazing though. Of course I think I'm one of the few people that liked Tobey and Dunst in their roles. 

I liked X2 but I enjoyed the first one better. I just enjoyed Magneto being a bad guy, I'm a Sabertooth mark so that was fun and I felt like Mane WAS Sabertooth. I have no fucking idea what that abomination was in Wolverine Origins. Of course I guess you could say that about the whole movie. 

I think the critics were making a statement and I think its also been less than ten years since we rebooted the franchise and in my opinion delivered two awesome movies. I'm all for rebooting or re imagining If its been a generation since the franchise was around ala Batman. I'm not all for it if its rebooted within ten years of itself. You have to wonder though with it bombing critically and financially (I know it'll make its money back) won't studios be concerned about what the next movie will bring on? I mean its what two years out? Shouldn't they be worried that it'll perform twice as bad as this one? They really can't do much though since there is no way they shelve it but why make a tentpole movie like that when there is atleast a 50 percent chance it bombs hard. 

Some of you guys have to have gone tonight, right? I HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS MOVIE WITH SOMEONE!!!

Just got back from seeing it. Movie knocked it out of the fucking park and that was *before* the very end of it. I absolutely lost my shit for the post-credits scene.

I marked out so fucking hard for seeing Scott and Jean back. Like literal tears of joy-kinda marking out.

92% after 100+ reviews, motherfuckers. Where are all those Marvel Studios fanboys at now? Wah Wah FOX can't do anything right...  raping the characters.. allow the rights to revert back... wahh wahh

Did Marvel Studios kill your parents or something? Jesus man, take it down a notch.