DVDVR Message Board

August 2014 Football Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I will like that last post, but only because I now have Rangers as the team I support in Scotland, switching my allegiance from Dundee United.

This is based on how amazing their fans were at Derby last week, loudest and funnest away fans I've ever heard. And pro-British, which is a check in my book.

well, what happened is he was suspended for three games in Legia's last Europa League game. He sat out the two games against St Pat's and the first leg, so all set right?

Nope. Turns out there's a UEFA rule that says you have to be registered for a match to officially miss it, and Legia didn't submit the player on their match roster. So the matches didn't count towards the suspension

So Legia thought he had served the suspension, while according to UEFA's rules he had two games remaining.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Dodgy as fuck.  Feel bad for Legia, who I think would have made the group stages as first Polish side in something like 18 years.  Legia should be playing the next round, and we should be learning some hard and valuable lessons about risk. 

I do love the talk about zombies fans being such lovely fun chaps because of one personal experience despite a mountain of evidence they aren't.  Ted Bundy was such a charming guy they said. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Southampton's 10m bid for Forster was accepted.  He's a very good 'keeper and he'll be missed. 

Hey Celtic board...take a look at that 6-1 a few times and REINVEST THE FUCKING MONEY.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Stevie May sold to Sheffield Wednesday.  Hopefully will keep scoring goals for the Owls down there.

Blackpool had nine men early in the morning, they do call up enough youth team members/sign folks to have four subs, but still fall 2-0.

And my favorite lower level team, Cambridge United, win their first game in the league in 9 years over Plymouth

I think the season opening trophy being treated like a joke is one of those self-fulfilling prophecies when you have mega clubs who already have a lot going for them playing over it. If there was a year that some second division team won the FA Cup and by some miracle Sunderland or Swansea had won the Premiership (won't happen, but go with me here), I'm pretty sure they'd be quite happy to be playing over an additional free trophy any day.

Not that I've heard anything about it this year, but teams that treat trophy games like a burden aren't very endearing to me. Be thankful your club is in such good shape, I say.

Does the Community Shield "count" as Arsenal winning hardware?

I hope so, since it would kill one annoying talking point beforethe season even starts.

Surely that talking point was put to bed when Arsenal won the FA Cup last year?

Guest The Magnificent 7

Bein Sports is carrying the League Cup 1st round match between AFC Wimbledon and Milton Keynes Dons on Tuesday afternoon (2:40 ET).  Watch it, should be a tasty atmosphere and let's hope Wimbledon cuffs them. 

With the Bundesliga start two weeks from now, we are still in the depths of our World Cup aftermath.
Roughly an hour ago, Miroslav Klose released an official statement, announcing his retirement from the Germany squad.
He stated that he saw a childhood dream fulfilled in Winning Brazil 2014 and that he is proud having helped a great team to achieve a great goal.

How can you blame the guy? He deserves to go out on a high note. He took his time to let stuff sink in and especially over the last few years he always seemed to focus on tournament years and the national squad. He took extended periods of time to heal injuries at Lazio, basically putting the national team´s interests his own. He deserves to retire a champion.

Klose is not only the much talked about all time record scorer in World Cups but also the man to break legendaryat  Gerd Mueller´s international goal record for Germany (Klose´s 71 compared to Mueller´s 68) after that benchmark seemed set in stone for almost fourty years. Addtionally Miroslav Klose is the second most capped player (137 games for Germany) right after Lothar Matthäus (154 games).

Klose appeared in seven major tournaments for Germany:
2002: FIFA WORLD CUP Japan & South Korea - runner up, 5 goals
2004: UEFA EURO Portugal - group stage elimination, no goals
2006: FIFA WORLD CUP Germany - third place, 5 goals, GOLDEN BOOT WINNER

2008: UEFA EURO Austria & Switzerland - runner up, 2 goals

2010: FIFA WORLD CUP South Africa - third place, 4 goals

2012: UEFA EURO Poland & Ukraine - semi-finals-elimination, 1 goal

2014: FIFA WORLD CUP Brazil - WINNER, 2 goals

While Phillip Lahm probably deserved a similiar short listing of his credentials, Klose has been the last link between German footballs "dark ages" and the time where our squad were considered favourites or at least co-favourites at tournaments like today. Plus he was plain and simply my favourite Germany player over the last decade or so. Much respect and love for Miro, danke fuer alles. I hope he will have a great and enjoyable career sunset.

Klose, aswell as Lahm, will get a sent off before the international friendly between Germany and Argentinia on September 3rd. Both won´t be playing, according to their own wishes, automatically making their final international appearance for Germany the 2014 World Cup final.

• Like 2