DVDVR Message Board

UFC 300: Pereira vs. Hill (04/13/2024) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Imagine 10-15 years from now we're going to be watching a bunch of fighters who grew up wanting to be like Max Holloway.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Compare Moicano's promo to the crickets Bobby Green got. You're going to get more of this feeling tonight, I gurantee it.

The UFC, and I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, is an actively facist entity. Joe Rogan is a huge component.

A while back someone wrote "football is the conservative sport, basketball liberal with baseball neutral" feels like UFC is the MAGA league 

had a bunch of people over to watch the fights (first time i've done that in a few years!) so didn't get a chance to share my thoughts. Here they are:

Jalin Turner with an all time bad call, trying to score himself a walkoff KO. I like the guy, but that was a total bonehead move. Good on Moicano for capitalizing, making him pay, and cutting a fantastic promo after. 

Diego Lopes looked damn good. I wasn't really familiar with him past the hype, but i look forward to seeing more soon.

Kayla Harrison is the real deal. She answered every question that i had about her, and did so with style. Great promo, and i can definitely see her among the top of the division. Total props.

i  remember enjoying the Sterling/Kattar fight, but more being disappointed in Kattar's performance than impressed by Sterling's. 

Jiri is THAT DUDE. every moment of every fight is can't miss. He's one of the last few guys to bring that old school Bushido mindset into the cage. I am glued to the screen whenever he's inside the octagon. His fight style is going to give me a heart attack some day.

Bo Nickal looked good but not amazing. I'm not sure how he's attained all the hype that he has, but i hope his skills match the potential everyone sees in him eventually.

Tsurukyan/Oliveira happened. i wasn't enthralled by this one, and was feeling a pretty good buzz at this point, so if there was a lot of nuance then i probably just overlooked it.

MAX MF'ING HOLLOWAY!! this fight delivered to every possible expectation. simply amazing. Did not go how i foresaw it happening at all, but was no less entertaining for it. Holloway just broke down Gaethje from bell to bell. One of my buddies, with ~1 minute left in the fight, said "i don't want to jinx it". When pressed, he said "i've seen fights end with 1 second left", implying that Gaethje could have pulled off the comeback KO. When Holloway scored it instead, we all exploded. It was just fucking amazing.

Zhang Weili HAD that choke in Rd1. Yan was OUT. And then Zhang dominated Rd2. At this point, it was only a matter of time. But then Rd3 happened and Yan looked like she was the best ever. WILD swing in this one. i must have pretty much tuned out 4 and 5 as i don't remember much.

Alex Pereira. That dismissal of Herb Dean, leading directly to the KO was incredible.
In one of the prefight interviews, Jamahal Hill (or someone from his camp, i don't remember specifically who) said "there's levels to this striking game". That struck me as odd, because Pereira was a 2 division champ in Glory. Jamahal Hill doesn't have those credentials. But Pereira certainly proved that exact point, just not in the way that Hill expected. 

100% an all time great card. 

• Like 3

I give Jamahal Hill credit more than most people back when he challenged for the LHW title originally. However, he offered Pereira nothing he hadn't seen before. This was always going to be an extremely difficult matchup for him. You're either going to be absolutely superb as a striker or an outstanding wrestler so he doesn't decimate you on the feet. There ain't too many of those.

After THAT Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje KO, it's got me revisiting my top ten list of the Greatest MMA Knockouts of All Time. Here's my updated version:

1. Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje. UFC 300.

2. Leon Edwards vs. Kamaru Usman II. UFC 278.

3. Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim. UFC 142.

4. Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo. UFC 194.

5. Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva I. UFC 162.

6. Jorge Masvidal vs. Ben Askren. UFC 239.

7. Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey. UFC 193.

8. Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping I. UFC 100.

9. Michael Chandler vs. Tony Ferguson. UFC 274.

10. Valentina Shevchenko vs. Jessica Eye. UFC 238.

My choices came down to historical significance, what happened in the fight before the KO and style points. Holloway vs. Gaethje is my number one as I was concerned Holloway was going up in weight to fight the heaviest hitter there. Holloway handily winning the fight on the scorecards challenged Gaethje to slug it out in the last ten seconds and KTFO in the last second of the fight. Leon Edwards vs. Kamaru Usman is #2 as Edwards was losing the fight but KOs the P4P #1 who is a minute away from tying Anderson Silva for most consecutive wins on 16 but gets KTFO. Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim was my #1 for years. Etim was stiff as a board resembling the Statue of Liberty as he fell.

Edited by The Natural