DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 10/16 - 10/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Almost one year to the day that LA Knight was brought back from the dead, and now he's in a main event feud with the longest reigning champ since Hulk Hogan.  What a time.

We'll just have to see if Knight gets his shot at Crown Jewel or Survivor Series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Almost one year to the day that LA Knight was brought back from the dead, and now he's in a main event feud with the longest reigning champ since Hulk Hogan.  What a time.

We'll just have to see if Knight gets his shot at Crown Jewel or Survivor Series.

I think it'll be Survivor Series with what's happening right now.

Tonight was an all right edition of RAW. I tuned mostly in for GUNTHER vs. BIG Bronson Reed and that match did not disappoint. I was amazed that Gunther was able to powerbomb him so easily.

Cody/Jey vs. Judgement Day was a good match up until the end. I knew there would be a screwy ending, but just didn't see Jimmy Uso being the cause for them to lose the tag titles. I guess we wait till Friday to find out that Jimmy did this on his own only to piss Roman off some more for calling his own plays.

My DVR screwing up and then my internet screwing up twice caused me to miss nearly half the show. Still can only complain so much as the three matches I wanted to catch the most were recorded (missed Piper's match and Nakamura/Ricochet).

Rhea/Shayna was nice while it lasted because the expected interruption from Raquel, Nia, and even Zoey. Wa shappy to see them finally set up the 5-way defense.

What I caught of the Drew/Seth segment was fine. I like the tension building and Drew's continued discontent with Jey's existence.

Gunther/Reed was a good battle of big men. The powerbomb finish was not quite what I expected and well done.

Cody/Jey vs. Finn/Priest was pretty solid, maybe even good despite the overbooking. Just solid action, drama, and energy from all involved. I'm good with Finn & Priest winning the belts back. Cody winning felt like something they did purely for surprise and put something extra to Cody's announcement of the Dusty Classic in NXT. 

Gunther and Reed was good, felt a little abbreviated due to TV. I give Adam Page shit for hitting bombs right out of the gate and this match had some of that too, although with the brief hint of respect after the match it told more of a story (that Gunther respects Reed as a fellow big man and knew he had to bring the thunder early)

Judgement Day/Jey and Cody was some fine wrestling, crowd was a little quiet. Still not interested in Cody (worst move set for a main eventer imo) and JD are that rare heel group that are so cringe they can't be cool heels (Rhea notwithstanding). Priest looked great bombing Cody through the announce table, I personally think he needs a gimmick and gear change to hit main event status but his ability is almost there

The battle royal portion of the Bada Bing Bada Boom Battle Royal was nothing standout, but the faceoff between Chase/Duke and Los Lotharios at the end was good stuff. Finish wasn't perfect played off of the ending of the battle royal well enough.

Karmen/Jaida was ok. Not super impressed with Petrovic. Doesn't feel like she has fully integrated her martial arts into wrestling all that well yet, and she doesn't have much of a personality. Jaida looked slightly better though it feels like she bumps a little awkward. She still flows well enough, but it stands out compared to the usual. Not sure that is a good thing in her case.

Tegan/Lyra built into a pretty solid match by the end. The finish with Piper & Chelsea's distraction felt off in execution, but I guess it got the job done. Was nice seeing the tag champs show up. Hopefully they appear more often in NXT and Smackdown.

Shotzi/James was decent.

Not sure how Jakara Jackson ended up injured, but Grace/Reese was short, fun, and probably better than what we would have gotten with Jackson in Reece's place. Grace has improved a lot character and presentation wise. Kind of love the Beauty Queen bs pre-match with her trying to graciously accept a by. Her reactions to Reece's comeback during the match were fun as well. Honestly, she felt more like what you would expect from the daughter of Santino here than what we got from her last year.

The segment introducing Trick to the No. 1 contender's match was alright though Dijak did not stand out well speaking with Melo, Trick, & Corbin. Part of that felt purposeful, but some of it also just felt tryhard. Not sure how I feel about Trick later being taken out via backstage attack. Felt like a strange move to make after getting the audience hyped for his addition. Still might work out depending on what route they go with him and Melo.

The actual triple threat was pretty good. Corbin and Dijak came off as beasts at times, but Melo looked good never backing down and giving as good as he got via speed and passion. Not super behind Melo's win if only because we just got done with Melo/Ilja. I was all ready for Ilja having a second go around with Corbin or Dijak. Both would feel fresher than a third match with Hayes. Still, I can see them possibly saving the Corbin match for Deadline so it has time to breathe. Melo/Ilja III should be good at the very least though I still expect it to be the least of their matches like Melo/Bron III was last week.

Edited by Eivion

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Grace has improved a lot character and presentation wise. Kind of love the Beauty Queen bs pre-match with her trying to graciously accept a by. Her reactions to Reece's comeback during the match were fun as well. Honestly, she felt more like what you would expect from the daughter of Santino here than what we got from her last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

NXT had 798k viewers this week. So they retained about 87%ish of last weeks viewers (dropping from 921 to 798)

Pretty great ratings for a show where I don't think any of the main roster people who appeared were advertised. Will be very interesting to see next weeks number for what is a special episode, and one with no less than five women's matches advertised.

• Like 1

The Heyman/Knight segment was good and one of Knight's better segments on the main roster.

Santos/Ford was solid.

Cena's segment was nice. Dug how he recognized his lack of success wrestling wise the past 6 years and hyped himself up ready to go. The Bloodline coming down for attack was expected but not necessarily the Jey save which really popped the crowd.

The Logan/Rey segment was another solid one. Paul actually got in some good lines on Rey, and I like that his specific focus is the US title.

Grimes/Dragon vs. Waller/Theory was solid.

Dug the Brutes getting a minor bit of revenge Pretty Deadly in that short segment.

Io/Charlotte was good. This was easily the best two have meshed with plenty of nice big action in the later moments of the match. Thought the finish was particularly nice with the spear into the title. Pity this was a tv match instead of PPV/PLE. Still pretty nice overall. The post match beatdown by Damage CTRL and subsequent save by Bianca were expected but still nice to see.

I thought this more segment heavy than I would have liked with 3 longer in ring segments, but I also admittedly thought all of them were fairly solid-good and built well into their particular stories. Still it will always be disappointing when we get less than 4 matches even when those matches are of solid-good quality (which they were).

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1