DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

In all fairness, the only MMA fight of his I remember he was wearing a mask and got knocked out in hilariously vicious fashion.  I'm sure I saw his loss to Kaz Nakamura too, but I don't recall that fight at all.  I'll never forget Cro Cop hitting him with the left high kick, and the super necessary uppercut to his slumped over carcass.  The only person Del Rio has beat that I've even heard of is Brad Kohler who was in the middle of an 11 fight losing streak.  How'd he win?  Kohler suffered a shoulder injury.  This is going to sound absurd, but I'm pretty sure I've watched more fights than 90% of MMA fans.  If you're an MMA fighter and I've never heard of you, it's pretty safe to say that your career does not matter at all in the grand story of MMA.  I've never heard of any of the other dude's that he's beat.  Fighting Tito Ortiz, even a washed up Tito Ortiz, is a horrible idea for Alberto Del Rio.  Tito is a fighter who I think is better than what we remember.  He's also less shop worn than most fighters who have been fighting that long, because he spent so much time arguing about his contract and not fighting.  He's going to be able to work his takedown/ground and pound game against a scrub like Del Rio for the rest of his life.  

Kengo Watanabe is famous for being a jobber in Pancrase, and I'm pretty sure I played as him in one of those Japanese wrestling video games. 

Anyway, I don't see his delusion as any different from Liddell even though Chuck thought he could beat Tito again based his own success a decade plus prior and Oscar promised them both a "cut" of the PPV "revenue". Apparently, he was suppose to fight at Caesars Palace in November as his retirement fight. First off, who the fuck is fighting at Caesars Palace now? Is he stuck in the 1980s or early 90s? Is he the only and last person mesmerized by Wrestlemania IX? The last time someone tried to bring fighting back to Caesars Palace in Vegas was Antonio Margarito vs. Kermit Cintron in like 2005 when nobody knew who the fuck Margarito was and he was suppose to be the big boogeyman in boxing. Second, why would Alberto del Rio need a retirement fight? Were people clamoring about how we never got a proper sendoff for him in MMA? 

Again, I just think he is crazy as fuck. 

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Kengo Watanabe is famous for being a jobber in Pancrase, and I'm pretty sure I played as him in one of those Japanese wrestling video games. 

Image result for Kengo Watanabe
Yeah, you did. I knew the name was familiar! KOC II is legit.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anyway, I don't see his delusion as any different from Liddell even though Chuck thought he could beat Tito again based his own success a decade plus prior and Oscar promised them both a "cut" of the PPV "revenue". Apparently, he was suppose to fight at Caesars Palace in November as his retirement fight. First off, who the fuck is fighting at Caesars Palace now? Is he stuck in the 1980s or early 90s? Is he the only and last person mesmerized by Wrestlemania IX? The last time someone tried to bring fighting back to Caesars Palace in Vegas was Antonio Margarito vs. Kermit Cintron in like 2005 when nobody knew who the fuck Margarito was and he was suppose to be the big boogeyman in boxing. Second, why would Alberto del Rio need a retirement fight? Were people clamoring about how we never got a proper sendoff for him in MMA? 

Again, I just think he is crazy as fuck. 

Around the first CM Punk fight I was arguing with someone about how terrible of a fighter Del Rio was, and how I am 100% sure Conor McGregor would knock him withing a round.  This douchebag was trying to tell me that Del Rio's size was a big enough factor to overcome the gap in skill.  So, there are some people who think that he actually had a fighting career.

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Around the first CM Punk fight I was arguing with someone about how terrible of a fighter Del Rio was, and how I am 100% sure Conor McGregor would knock him withing a round.  This douchebag was trying to tell me that Del Rio's size was a big enough factor to overcome the gap in skill.  So, there are some people who think that he actually had a fighting career.

Del Rio is hanging his hat on training for or with the Mexican national Olympic wrestling team at age 16. He's 42 now. So I guess he is stuck in the year 1993. ?

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Del Rio is hanging his hat on training for or with the Mexican national Olympic wrestling team at age 16. He's 42 now. So I guess he is stuck in the year 1993. ?

He's MMAs Uncle Rico.

• Haha 1

“Ken and I are finally going to share the Ring!” Mark Coleman wrote on his personal Facebook page. “Bare Knuckle Boxing. I will no longer have to answer if I fought The Great Ken Shamrock! Good luck my friend. 

Adding fuel to the fire was Coleman’s longtime friend and ‘Hammer House’ training partner Wes Sims.

The former UFC heavyweight, Sims, took to social media suggesting that the September 21 Bare Knuckle fight card will feature the following fights.

Mark Coleman vs Ken Shamrock
Wes Sims vs Tra Trauma Telligman
Branden Hinkle vs Vernon White
Phil Baroni vs Mikey Burnett
Nick Nutter vs Pete Williams

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

How many people are watching these bare knuckle boxing fights?  And why haven't they signed Igor Vovchanchyn yet?

Well, the promoter for the Malignaggi-Lobov card came out and said that PPV did 200,000. Turns out it was around 18,000. Based on the purse for Paulie not being disclosed, I highly doubt they broke even.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:53 AM, The Natural said:

I remember that fight as Dominick Cruz is one of my favourite fighters, he German suplexed Mighty Mouse about, it was his last UFC Bantamweight Championship defense as he had to vacate due to injuries and it's only one of two Mighty Mouse losses in UFC (Henry Cejudo the other).

AgedImpracticalDrake-size_restricted.gif

Bantamweight GOAT. Tagging @DreamBroken.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I thought Thiago Santos won the fight with two fucked knees. Impressive by Santos, shame he injured himself to the extent he has.

Edited by The Natural

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is a terrible fight for Cowboy...it will be fun while it lasts, but Gaethje is about as tailor made to exploit all of Cowboy's weaknesses as anyone not named Tony Ferguson.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

67291608_2324856530883617_49397510007737

I fancy Frankie Edgar to finally win the UFC Featherweight Championship.

I think Frankie is the exact kind of fighter that Max Holloway batters like a filet of catfish.  Frankie isn't going to be able to trick Holloway with his movement, I doubt he can take Max down, and he doesn't hit nearly hard enough to make Halloway respect his striking.  Frankie's footwork is also kind of terrible, it is why he could never beat Aldo.  He does a lot of unnecessary movement that can confuse lesser fighters, but good fighters see through the nonsense and just punch him in the face when he's in range.  Holloway is the real deal, he's about as good of an MMA fighter that exists right now.  His best skill is seeing what his opponent is doing and adjusting on the fly.  Edgar's game isn't nearly diverse enough to fool Holloway.  I think the first round may be competitive, but it gets ugly quickly and Holloway finishes him in the 3rd or 4th round.

• Like 2