DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I agree. It's hard for me to pick Mickey Gall after he lost to Diego Sanchez. 

At this point, Sanchez/Condit would be 50/50. Carlos Condit has looked absolutely awful since he returned. I think mentally he might be there, but physically, he is completely done. That Magny fight was enough evidence for me.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

What the hell did Mikey Gall do to deserve this?  

first thought:  Condit is going to destroy Gall.

second thought: Condit has looked like 100% ass since his return. Gall probably takes this.

final thought: i refuse to admit that Condit has fallen this far. the fight will be closer than i believe it should, but Condit finally gets this much needed win.  Gall looks good in defeat and leverages this into a higher profile fight that he wins.

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed. It's free the following Friday. Last time that happened, I waited the whole week spoiler free, so I reckon that would be a possibility once more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Scott Coker just announced Bellator has signed Cyborg, to what he calls the biggest contract in Women's MMA history.

Did he print it on A3 paper? Because no way does "biggest" mean "most lucrative", unless it's some sort of super-long twenty fight, ten year deal or something.

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Did he print it on A3 paper? Because no way does "biggest" mean "most lucrative", unless it's some sort of super-long twenty fight, ten year deal or something.

Between this and Bader is the best HW, people should start realizing Scott Coker says crazy, hyperbolic shit just like any fight promoter.

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Between this and Bader is the best HW, people should start realizing Scott Coker says crazy, hyperbolic shit just like any fight promoter.

Realistically, how many heavyweights are better than Ryan Bader?  Stipe, DC...Curtis Blaydes?  Bader can definitely out wrestle Ngannou and Derrick Lewis.  Overeem and Dos Santos would be competitive fights, but Bader could win both.  He's not #1, but I think he's close enough that it isn't too crazy of a statement.  I also think that any top 5 fighter 185 and above's name could be substituted with Ryan Bader in the above statement.

• Like 1

Possibly he's signed Cyborg for both MMA and Kickboxing, so she can finally rematch that Dutch woman who's name I've forgotten. But most likely, he's talking hyper bollocks 

14 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Realistically, how many heavyweights are better than Ryan Bader?  Stipe, DC...Curtis Blaydes?  Bader can definitely out wrestle Ngannou and Derrick Lewis.  Overeem and Dos Santos would be competitive fights, but Bader could win both.  He's not #1, but I think he's close enough that it isn't too crazy of a statement.  I also think that any top 5 fighter 185 and above's name could be substituted with Ryan Bader in the above statement.

Who was saying Bader was going to beat the brakes off Fedor? Me. Preaching to the choir, amigo. With that said, he isn't the best HW in the world. For Coker to say that, he isn't doing justice to Ryan Bader and the run he's on. It's just like him saying that first or second MSG card they did was going to be the card of the year. Like why the fuck would you say that? You know damn well the people on that card can't go out and do that even if all the fights end in finishes like the last card they did. You're holding these people up to an unrealistic standard. With Bader, he is saying some shit he definitely can't prove because the best 3 or 4 dudes above Ryan Bader are in the UFC. At least with boxing, feuding promoters can actually put their guys against each other. This screams of desperation because that last card on Paramount with two of their best heavyweights did an average of 285k. You can put two goats fucking on Paramount for an hour and draw higher than that. Nobody believes Scott Coker when he says shit like that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Possibly he's signed Cyborg for both MMA and Kickboxing, so she can finally rematch that Dutch woman who's name I've forgotten. But most likely, he's talking hyper bollocks 

Dude, I had to check to see if Bellator Kickboxing was still a thing. When they signed that deal with DAZN, that went to the wayside. I'm assuming neither Paramount or DAZN wanted anything to do with multiple kickboxing events no one is watching. They've attached some KB bouts to their Milan card in October but the last they one they did was last December IIRC. Why even bother?

Dana White better have a real custom belt ready to go to the winner of this fight.

What's hilarious about this tho is the musical chair booking with Covington turning down the title fight at MSG. Then Usman turning down a title fight with Masvidal at MSG. Then UFC threatening to strip Usman and making it Masvidal vs. Edwards for the vacant title at MSG.

how serious did this actually get where UFC actually threatened to strip Usman? What is going on with Usman that he turned down a fight with Masvidal? 

Total spitball, but was Covington unwilling to fight without points or something since he's technically a former interim champion?

For the first time in a very long time, I have no idea what's going on. Between the show in Abu Dhabi today, various ongoings with Antonio Brown, and college football, I haven't even bothered to look into it until right now. Although I will say that I dunno how much points play into this new system of PPV. If I had to guess though, Colby just asked for more money than what's in his contract and then Usman balked at fighting anyone.

Colby's own words (which I attempt to avoid hearing whenever possible) lead me to believe he wanted to be paid like the A-side to the fight / an interim champ despite not being one, which probably involve some sort of PPV points. I like to sympathize with fighters when things like these happen to them, but the irony of the dipshit MAGA guy with go-away heat having to play the role of the exploited proletariat is more of a guilty pleasure than every Rush record put together. Or maybe it's not a socio-econo-political thing but rather a cautionary tale about not barging into the boss's Blackjack & Hookers room with a camera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

The show headlined by Colby vs. Lawler did dog shit ratings too, so he really doesn't have any leverage.

To be fair, I think the UFC expected it to do below average since it was an afternoon show. The show peaked at 945k during the main event which is pretty good considering it's not a title fight. It was still good enough for the highest watched sports program on cable that day. It was also a one fight card and the other fight that could have been even regarded as notable lasted less than a minute. The other afternoon card on ESPN (the card in Philly headlined by Barboza vs. Gaethje) had four notable fights including the main event. 

• Like 1