DVDVR Message Board

Emilio Charles Jr., MS-1 y Tierra, Viento y Fuego vs. Atlantis, El Dandy y Mascara Sagrada, (11/24/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

Another El Dandy/Charles set up match.  Well, it wasn't even close to the first one, but still pretty good.  Dandy and Charles pair up before too long and there's this cool moment where Charles is beating down Dandy while he's on the ground at ringside and Dandy starts trying to defend himself with kicks to Charles' legs.  Some cool fast pace exchanges in the beginning and some Dandy/Charles brawling, nice match but nothing to knock your socks off. 

• 4 weeks later...

What made this inferior to the other Dandy vs Charles trios match was that the parts without Dandy and Charles weren't as good. Still, more Dandy vs Charles is a good thing. I am loving this feud and I am psyched for one last match between them, even if a title match probably won't involve them trying to kill each other like they do here.

• 1 month later...

I like the simple, hateful open of two guys piefacing each other, gradually leading up to pushing and then confrontation. TVF sells a Dandy punch like a spastic. In fact, everyone's selling each other's strikes like world-beaters. The part where Dandy sidesteps MS-1 to sucker punch Charles is just the best, it reminded me of Kawaka kicking Misawa off the apron. I also love Charles ducking two huge swings from Dandy only to bail and give up the fall. If I was his partners I'd be pissed, they just got beat in technical fashion and now this guy turns chickenshit. In fact they do seem pissed! Atlantis countering a backdrop into a hiptoss while him and MS run the ropes is just a thing of beauty. The yin to that yang, of course, is Dandy pissing blood out of his head while Charles beats the shit out of him. You know it's heated when Dandy is kicking back from the floor. Finally he gets one good lick in, the tide turns and he goes all "DIE CHARLES DIE". However, Charles gets in the wheelbarrow slam reversal and it's all over. This was one of the great feud-building tags on the set that feels like it might be better than the blowoff. Also, someone needs to count how many times these guys fall out through the bottom ropes, it's got to be over a dozen. 

• 3 months later...

MS-1 booting Sagrada from behind was fantastic. Tierra seems like a creepier, more unlikeable version of Veneno, however, I did like his stooging. This was excellent whenever the focus was on Charles/Dandy. Really high-end brawling from those two guys. I loved that brief section on the outside where Charles was just stomping Dandy into oblivion only for Dandy to retaliate with stiff Inoki leg kicks. Other highlights include Dandy punching Charles off the apron and his out of nowhere, violent headbutt that led to Charles blading. Pretty great trios.

• 7 months later...

The Charles/Dandy stuff in this was really good but the other 4 guys in this didn't really do anything memorable here. The biggest thing I took away from the other 4 was being amused at MS-1's complaining about 3 on 2 after Charles takes the brief trip to the locker room.

I thought this match was a lot of fun and a heated set-up to the next Charles/Dandy match.  The first fall of trios matches like this can be a bit tedious for me with the back-and-forth and matwork, but this was fast-paced and fairly heated, with some interesting moments like the headbutts from the apron and Charles begging off Dandy after throwing some missed punches at the end of the fall.  The crowd was really excited when Dandy followed Charles to the floor, which added to the excitement.  Dandy's quick headbutt to open the second fall is great as well, along with Charles cowardly antics and MS-1's seeming frustration with Charles.  Sagrada's sequence with Tierra in the second fall is pretty awkward and takes me out of the match momentarily.  I like that Charles can only get the advantage on Dandy by stalling their confrontation until MS-1 can nail Dandy from behind.  Then the blood flows, and things get really vicious with all the kicks from Charles.  I agree that the kick exchange on the floor is awesome.  Charles and Dandy are great in the third fall.  I liked Charles's sell of a posting by skidding across the floor at ringside, as well as the exchange of blows in the ring as they are selling the exhaustion.  I always love to see technicos hitting each other on accident, even though it never leads to anything substantial.  The final pin was cool and conclusive.  The rudos seemed exhausted at the end of this match, which also made this pretty compelling for me.  I have it in my top 20, I think.