DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

I would suggest people look for the finish of tonight's main event of Glory 55, which was the rubber match between Alex Pereira and Yousri Belgaroui for the middleweight title. Straight up nasty business.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would suggest people look for the finish of tonight's main event of Glory 55, which was the rubber match between Alex Pereira and Yousri Belgaroui for the middleweight title. Straight up nasty business.

Clean, straight technique beat out the looping power shot. Gross "timber!" KO. 

Bonus:

• Like 2

InVicta FC 30 

Blanchfield was able to show better MMA boxing then Cloudy who has a Golden Gloves background but was making her pro debut using that tactic she was able to get the fight to the ground at times. Anderson won her fight with a nice flying triangle that put Alba to sleep. Zappitella looked great and is one to watch in the atomweight division. She did one of the smartest tactics I have even seen in MMA to avoid upkicks she took a knee then would pounce with strikes then back to the knee before Decoursey could upkick her in the face. Sanchez and Maverick was good fight. Heather Jo Clark won her fight by DEC which surprised her opponent. Felicia Spencer looked great and called out Megan Anderson who was in the crowd then challenge her to fight her in Australia in the UFC. The Main event had controversy with people being very surprised by the Judges decision. 

Today's ONE PPV had Renzo Gracie beating Yuki Kondo, Shinya Aoki trying to elbow a man's scalp off, and the local underdog pulling off a big upset to win a title against one of the best lower weight class fighters outside the UFC.

Jason High had that controversial finish against Efrain Escudero where the ref thought he was tapping when he was actually trying to move Efrain's arm on a choke that was clearly loose.

Here? He gets choked unconscious by his former teammate Natan Schulte and subsequently eliminated from the $1 million pot.

The hurt business is cruel.

34 minutes ago, twiztor said:

still curious how PFL is going to make money while paying out $1M to SIX people

I think the bigger problem is how they're going to get a new round of funding AFTER giving six people $1 million apiece.

I outlined the issues with this tournament thing when I gave my thoughts on the first official PFL show. With no stars, how are you going to get people invested in a creative but still admittedly convoluted concept? After they spent a good amount of energy of selling investors on this hot "new" thing, you cannot sell them on doing this again just so the winners can go elsewhere with the money of the investors.

The one person I'm most invested in besides Andre Harrison is Ray Cooper III after he utterly thumped Jake Shields, the last guy really left over from the previous regime. They have utilized exactly zero percent of momentum from that to make people care about him.

If Kayla Harrison doesn't catch on, they're fucked something serious.

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

i don't understand how this happens.

The only thing I can come up with is these people think PFL is owned by Zuffa which itself is owned by Endeavor.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Shocking but awesome to see Kaitlin get her first win in like 6 years, especially considering she hadn't fought in 4 years. Always liked her despite losing all her Invicta fights.

Besides Cyborg coming through the ranks and some of the girls in DEEP and Smackgirl, the only time I really got excited for women's MMA during that era was Kaitlin Young head kicking Miesha Tate into another dimension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta say I was impressed with Kayla Harrison's performance tonight. Granted, I don't expect anything in the way of resistance coming back at her anytime soon. There just isn't any real competition for her out there.

Ray Cooper III bopped the guy who beat Khabib's cousin in the first set of fights in the WW tournament. It's hard to get a read on Cooper especially this fight only went eighteen seconds. He has a style that is predicated on you running straight into the woodchipper. He definitely has potential, but there is certainly a ceiling on always implementing that strategy.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Good God, Kayla Harrison is packing a lot of muscle around. I was not surprised that she's fighting at 155. I'm stoked for her and here's hoping she continues to dominate.

She's basically female Brock Lesnar in a division where she doesn't even need to be that yoked to beat everyone.

Not much of a limb to go out on, but if she dropped to featherweight, she smashes everyone not named Cyborg even with just 2 fights under her belt. The de facto fighters underneath Cyborg are Julia Budd and Megan Anderson. What do they offer that Kayla Harrison that she wouldn't be able to deal with especially if she is hitting takedowns from halfway across the cage like Sean Sherk back in the day?

This honestly feels like ten and half years ago when Cyborg was suppose to make her US debut on a ShoXC card before Visa issues ultimately delayed it until the infamous Baszler-Cyborg destruction on CBS six months later. I remember being the first one to bring up on the board how good she was after seeing her in the Storm Samurai promotion. Then, the vets of the board at the time were talking how good Jen Case (Cyborg's intended opponent for that show), Debi Purcell, and other (now) relics of female MMA were instead and she maybe wouldn't be able handle that skill level. Fortunately, folks aren't that delusional anymore or at least not enough to deny that a woman like Harrison could mop up of the dregs around and below her weight class. My main point being that like Cyborg in 2008, Harrison is far from reaching her potential and she has a much higher ceiling IMO than anyone who has ever entered female MMA. She has natural innate abilities on the ground and she isn't as robotic as Rousey or Dern were/are throwing strikes early in their career. Finding opponents that actually can test her is gonna be a tough nut to crack, which is why it's a bit crazy PFL is putting all their weight behind her even if she is their best bet for a star. Rousey had potential opponents past the cannon fodder of D'Alelio, Budd, Kaufman, and Carmouche in Tate and Cyborg. Unless Cyborg plans to jump ship after a potential fight against Harrison's teammate Amanda Nunes, Harrison doesn't have that option or any solution to get her over that hump. She has some of Ronda's charisma and Carano's "aw shucks" shyness, but that won't be enough to get people to watch generic Thursday night MMA tucked away on the NBC Sports Network.

• Like 1

Budd and Harrison would be both of them taking it to the ground with Harrison looking for submissions and Budd GNP. Anderson would want to keep it standing and her whole camp should be takedown defense then a little special blitz strike game plan to end it early. 

Yeah, I don't think Meeeegan can go from getting womanhandled by Holm just a short time ago to stopping a two-time gold medalist judoka regardless of what they focus on at her camp. Kayla would end both Budd and Anderson easily.

I figure it's only a matter of time before she's in the UFC and a considerable star. Probably not as big of a star as Rousey because of Rousey was the first female star the company had and she's not conventionally super, super gorgeous and that still matters. As Dave said in his apology this week, there's a reason why Rousey was the star she was and Nunes is not the star Rousey was and looks plays a big part of it sadly.

Budd and Anderson are perfectly competent fighters. They''re both clearly more competent than either Brittney Elkins and Jozette Cotton. With that said, short of Anderson's ability improving to the level that matches her confidence in calling out Cyborg, I don't see how both of those fights don't include Harrison hitting an exploder suplex like she's Jun Akiyama. It's the same with Claressa Shields in boxing. Christina Hammer is a decent and technically proficient boxer. The problem here is that the talent level above 140 in female boxing is four fighters: Claressa Shields (a middleweight who can campaign above 160), Hanna Gabriels (a junior middleweight they had to bring to middleweight to fight Shields who was coming down from 168), Cecilia Braekhus (who has only fought at welterweight), and Christina Hammer. That's four women competing in four different weight classes (147, 154, 160, and 168). The reason why Christina Hammer can dominate at 168 is because she is competing in a virtual wasteland and doesn't have to worry about fighting two of those four women. Claressa Shields is better than anyone she has ever beaten or faced. Shields is going to most likely beat the brakes off of her when they fight. It doesn't mean Christina Hammer isn't good. However, we have to understand her dominance in context.

You can string together wins when the opposition isn't that good. Harrison is going to get fed can after can herself. Using deductive reasoning though based on Anderson and Budd's success (or lack thereof) when they fought people who had a modicum of skill lets me know that Harrison has a better chance of winning against skilled fighters head-to-head than they do.

• Haha 1