DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY (Series 2) - WILLIAM/STEVEN REGAL

RIPPA

Walking A Golden Mile is quite hard to find these days, saw it in a charity shop for a couple of quid but passed on it last year and have been kicking myself since.

Bill Regal is the quintessential TV champion for me, much like how Nigel McGuiness became the quintessential Pure champion in ROH - they made the title their own and no one could match them after.

When it comes to British wrestlers, Davey Boy Smith is the name on every casual fans tongue but I pray that one day it will be Regal

I didn't know Walking a Golden Mile is hard to find these days. I do know it's a kicker when you see something, pass on it and can't get it at all. Hope you do as it's terrific.

I thought the Regal-Plex was the Reverse Suplex that Xavier Woods is using in the vid below?

Hello mate, I've always known the Regal Plex as the one in my original post and in the below video Bryan Danielson pays tribute to his mentor:

I know exploiting the time limit is a staple as old as TV Championships itself but Regal was the first I remember watching use it consistently as a wee mark and I loved how Regal blatantly playing for the tie became more frustrating than other heels cheating to win.  It reminded me of 0-0 soccer draws that kept me from getting into that sport (and of course him being British made the association even easier for me to make).

When I flipped my personal polarity and became one of Those People (who mainly and mostly root for the heels) he was of course one of the first I embraced.  He's even the exception to my rule about being tired of the Heel/Meddling Authority Figure over the last 18 (really? wow) years.  Tired of the rest.  HE was a fun one.

I always loved the Regal Cutter, remember him giving Trish Stratus a doozy of a one during the comatose Linda McMahon storyline.

Regal and Tajiri were the only authority figures I ever got a kick out of (and Mick Foley to a lesser extent), and I hate the fact he got Wellness'd during his dictatorship run as King of the Ring and GM on RAW as I felt that he was finally gonna get a WHC run too

I believe this was (and the match that followed) from the very last episode of "WWF" Raw.

Anyway, for one week there was a Regal vs Hogan feud!

Maybe it's under the radar as far as Regal promos go but hey, it's my man heeling on Hogan, so of course it sticks out in my mind.