DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, & Courtroom Chaos (Pat Lundvall is a Spiteful Witch Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

I'm not sure about the adjudication process, but that statement says they are afforded "full due process" in these cases.  So is there a section on their website that outlines the legal process here?

It does seem like USADA is giving Romero special treatment here, but dunno for sure.

I'm not sure about the adjudication process, but that statement says they are afforded "full due process" in these cases.  So is there a section on their website that outlines the legal process here?

It does seem like USADA is giving Romero special treatment here, but dunno for sure.

Probably somewhere in this: http://www.usada.org/testing/results/adjudication-process/

So if I'm reading this correctly, athletes who fail a drug test are entitled to a hearing of judges at the American Arbitration Association.  So it sounds like Romero is entitled to this hearing and hasn't gotten it yet.  But it doesn't sound like he's even been formally charged with a rule violation yet.

In addition, they have a right to appeal the decision to Court of Arbitration for Sport.  Any decision that court reaches is final.

That viewpoint of the article doesn't necessarily scan unless you believe the excuse of Means and Romero of, "I was taking a tainted supplement!  I had no idea!"  That seems to be a stock excuse for this going back at least 10 years.

I feel like if this was true it wouldn't be happening with such alarming regularity.  

Supplement companies taint their own products so amateur bodybuilders get unnatural results. We discussed this two years ago I think.

Caps off an extremely dismal UFC run where he underperformed severely:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/10/10959806/konstantin-erokhin-tests-positive-for-drostanolone-at-the-ultimate

At least Guto Inocente can say he never failed a drug test.

• Like 1

Caps off an extremely dismal UFC run where he underperformed severely:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/10/10959806/konstantin-erokhin-tests-positive-for-drostanolone-at-the-ultimate

At least Guto Inocente can say he never failed a drug test.

Erokhin makes a good argument for how PEDs don't always help you at all.

Gleison Tibau is choosing not to appeal his USADA test failure and will accept his two year suspension.

Going to be interesting when he comes back, and they have to explain why Gleison Tibau has been missing for 2 years.

I've always liked Tibau, but then again, he's always had one those bodies that didn't pass the sniff test.  

Thiago Alves was another one, but he already failed a drug test like 10 years ago.  

It does seems like this program is routing out some of the players who look like obvious users.  Like I know Jacare hasn't failed a test yet, and while I love Jacare, he's another dude that wouldn't surprise me if he pissed hot at some point.

Quite frankly, as much as Tim Kennedy complains about PEDs, it wouldn't surprise me if were to ever fail a drug test.  Dude looks jacked.

Jacare really hasn't had a precipitous decline in performance. Even though there is that Rogerio Camoes/Black House connection, Jacare really doesn't stand out as much as a Feijao, who completely fell off the cliff performance wise and looks wise. I mean there are a ton of dudes (and gals for that matter) who were on the Brazilian scene who were doughy that magically were bricked up when they got to Strikeforce, EliteXC, and UFC. Maybe people can make the leap in logic that more money equals better food and nutrition. However, you also have better access to designer PEDs.

Jacare had a good body even when he was in BJJ. Maybe he has been using for 10+ years, but he is only suspicious in that he has a really good looking body.

Kennedy....to be fair, has been in shape for awhile. Even when he was doing MMA part-time (well even more part-time than now) between tours. However, when he started making his run in Strikeforce, he started looking like an OVW developmental wrestler on gas from the early 2000s. Like he should be doing six man tags with Tank & Chad Toland. For someone who fights at middleweight, that's darn impressive.

So if we're doing the old Meltzer eye test, we're judging guys who went from having good physiques to looking like Greek gods. That's a bit harder to judge than a Tim Sylvia trying to stop people from making fun of him.

UFCTimSylvia.png

"Can I get some crowd participation up in here? Don't fear me, fear my aroma!"

(He actually said "Fear the consequences". I just wish he'd said Fear my aroma instead, so I'm pretending he did).

I dunno, I would say how Jacare looked against Yoel Romero was a steep decline in performance.  Then again, I'm also of the belief that PEDs are not necessarily some magic cure all that make you a world champion level performer.

But before the Romero fight, Jacare had won like eight in a row, and he was smoking most of his opponents.  Any fights he wasn't finishing quickly, he was dominating handily.

And yes, Kennedy has looked like a gas OVW guy lately.

I dunno, I would say how Jacare looked against Yoel Romero was a steep decline in performance. Then again, I'm also of the belief that PEDs are not necessarily some magic cure all that make you a world champion level performer.

But before the Romero fight, Jacare had won like eight in a row, and he was smoking most of his opponents. Any fights he wasn't finishing quickly, he was dominating handily.

And yes, Kennedy has looked like a gas OVW guy lately.

He won (or should have won) two rounds off of Yoel Romero, another tippity top middleweight. Clean or not, Romero ain't fucking Chris Camozzi or Francis Carmont. I would expect any fight against someone who is more than slightly above average is going to be at least semi-competitive. That's been his track record going back to Strikeforce. How many top guys was he actually blowing out of the water? I think the Mousasi rematch is the only fight where you go, "Damn". Mousasi is also sometimes too lackadaisical. Also keep in mind, Jacare was a very tough style matchup for him going in. I doubt he was going to run headlong into another upkick. Maybe how he torched Brunson in hindsight is super impressive because Brunson is another good athlete at middleweight. Probably not as experienced when they fought, but a very good athlete.

He fought a dangerous guy in a fight every one expected to be close and was able to come back from a knockdown and hellacious ground and pound that would have put a lot of other middleweights away. Now if he would have closed shop after the KD, then I would say that there was some sort of decline. If that's the metric, then Frankie Edgar and Eddie Alvarez have had a lot of steep declines.

I think that's a fair trade-off for Trujillo.

Tibau's excuse was pathetic.  He admitted to taking it but didn't know it was wrong.  What the fuck is with all these pathetic excuses?  

UFC is now conducting an investigation regarding the BJ Penn allegations, and he won't be booked until the situation is resolved.  Penn shouldn't be booked anyway because he probably has brain damage.

• 3 weeks later...

MMA vote in NY Assembly could happen Monday. If everything I've reported over the years is correct, it's a mere formality for passage.

Should be added that it could happen as early as Monday, but it's going to happen next week.

The Senate already passed it on 2/1 for like the sixth time. Next week is the entire Assembly voting on the bill for the first time after it stalled so many other times. I believe Speaker Carl Heastie had a meeting on whether or not to take it up for a vote with the other Assembly members last night. The consensus is that fact that it even got that far means it's going to pass. According to Jim Genia, they needed 76 Democrats to completely pass it in the Assembly. Right now, they have 80. Plus, you add in the Republican support. In the other departments/committees, the support is too overwhelming to beat it.

I'm not getting my hopes up again because I was reading those same lines last year.  If it happens, great.

What same lines? The vote is a foregone conclusion. This wasn't the case last year when they waited until June when they were about close shop. If that was the case, then I would understand your reservations.

I don't get the disappointed kid/absentee father routine when people haven't been following the situation that closely.