DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, & Courtroom Chaos (Pat Lundvall is a Spiteful Witch Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Didn't even make it to his UFC debut before failing a test. That's gotta be a first.

Jason Floyd @Jason_Floyd 12m12 minutes ago

UFC statement on Abdul Kerim Edilov following USADA informing fighter about potential anti-doping policy violation

CaQQkKNWcAA5beJ.jpg

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-tim-means-fight-night-Pittsburgh

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Tim Means of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection.

USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case. It is important to note that, under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, there is a full and fair review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed. However, because Means was scheduled to compete against Donald Cerrone on February 21 in Pittsburgh, there is insufficient time for a full review and proper promotion before the scheduled bout. As a result, UFC will announce shortly a replacement opponent for Cerrone on the UFC Fight Night card in Pittsburgh.

Additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.

Our first USADA related main event change!

Call Michael Johnson and just say he doesn't have to cut weight. He said he regretted not taking a fight with Cerrone on short notice before.

He just had surgery on his hand IIRC. Hence, why Ferguson could fight Khabib.

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 11m11 minutes ago

USADA's Travis Tygart tells me they are using a new HGH test that can detect usage within 21 days instead of mere hours. Game changer.

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 6m6 minutes ago

USADA brought the new HGH test online in the last couple of months for both UFC and Olympic testing program.

Here's my question on these tests.  If a B-sample comes out clean, does that really exonerate the fighter and mean their system was clean of PEDs?

If the B sample is negative, that may exonerate you for what your A sample tested positive for. However, that doesn't necessarily mean your system didn't have PEDs.

That just seems like a slippery slope.  I feel like they should withhold all the results until both samples are tested.  

But it just seems counter-intuitive to say, "Well this test came out clean, so we might've messed up...so I guess you are free to go."  

That just seems like a slippery slope.  I feel like they should withhold all the results until both samples are tested.  

But it just seems counter-intuitive to say, "Well this test came out clean, so we might've messed up...so I guess you are free to go."  

That's not really a slippery slope. A slippery slope is allowing fighters to stay in fights while knowing they possibly could be using performance enhancing drugs. USADA isn't announcing what anyone has tested positive for when the results come back. Only that there could be a possible violation of USADA policies.

They're not waiting until the B sample results (if fighters want that particular sample to be tested) come back before pulling people from fights. They're also not lying about why fighters are mysteriously no longer part of tentative matchups. That would be asinine.

Keep in mind, the B sample is taken from the same specimen. So unless the test is bogus and/or your body fluids are out of this world, the B sample is more a just in case rather than this great tool to absolve people.

A potential violation already essentially paints the fighters as guilty in the eyes of the public.

USADA is not a PR firm. In addition, they're not responsible for our overreactions and our ignorance towards innocent until proven guilty.

Speaking of this discussion about B samples:

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 20m20 minutes ago

One note: of the thousands of athletes who have requested testing of their b-sample, Tygart could only remember 11 or 12 overturned

Based on how people are looking different now and our pre-existing knowledge our PEDS, exactly how many overturned results do people expect to happen in the UFC in the next year or so?

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 20m20 minutes ago

One note: of the thousands of athletes who have requested testing of their b-sample, Tygart could only remember 11 or 12 overturned

Based on how people are looking different now and our pre-existing knowledge our PEDS, exactly how many overturned results do people expect to happen in the UFC in the next year or so?

So will it now become 12 or 13?

https://twitter.com/malkikawa/status/695731173083979778

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter 20m20 minutes ago

So will it now become 12 or 13?

https://twitter.com/malkikawa/status/695731173083979778

That would depend on whether or not Malki Kawa continues to be a douchebag or not. If you're client had his B sample result determined as negative, you can probably announce it and not hold everyone in suspense.

Ok, so Yoel Romero's B sample did test positive as well. So again, you're not going to just magically get a bunch of negative B samples.

Apparently, it came from a tainted supplement (Yes, the old tainted supplement defense). Right now, according to Malki Kawa, they're looking into issues of contamination.

Has the contamination defense ever worked?  I know that's what Ed Soares and Rafael Cavalcante tried to claim, but not sure what ever came of it.

This is straight from USADA's own website:

http://www.usada.org/substances/supplement-411/supplement-411-faqs/

After your own investigation, you may decide that you can trust the label. After all, sometimes the labels are accurate. It just isn’t possible to know for sure which ones can be trusted, and USADA cannot advise you on whether a product is safe and free from contamination or not. Remember, the use of any dietary supplement is always at your own risk of testing positive or experiencing harmful health side effects.

Has the contamination defense ever worked?  I know that's what Ed Soares and Rafael Cavalcante tried to claim, but not sure what ever came of it.

Well, according to Kawa, USADA is working on a resolution to handle this and they were given the pill that was "contaminated".

The easiest thing for Malki Kawa do was to say is that Romero took contaminated supplement by accident, that Romero did pass his pre fight test, and that USADA had reason to believe that the supplement was also contaminated once they were indeed given the supplement. That's what? Two or three tweets? He could have easily killed this noise that Romero's B sample result was negative or was enough to overturn the A sample result failure.

Another example of great MMA "management".

Just once I wish a fighter would say, "I made a mistake taking this substance and was caught. I took this substance to gain an edge over my opponents. I vow to return to this sport a cleaner fighter and I apologize for my mistake."

Just once I wish a fighter would say, "I made a mistake taking this substance and was caught. I took this substance to gain an edge over my opponents. I vow to return to this sport a cleaner fighter and I apologize for my mistake."

The reason I think its bullshit is because if there was any truth to that at all, there is no excuse for ignorance.  You think with all the fighters who do claim the tainted supplement excuse would be more mindful or ask about what they are taking.

Here is the USADA statement on this issue (via Botter):

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/696814029902221312

So I guess USADA is going to go back on its "use at your own risk policy."

I am not sure about that. This is our first real look at the adjudication process. We don't know if it's the first time they're looking into this.  Between Romero and Means, I'm sure this won't be the last time this comes up. You have companies that prey on their consumers being marks. It's kinda what I was getting into by playing devil's advocate in the old thread in a discussion I had with AxB (IIRC). It's obvious that this is an excuse that people are going to hold strong to if it's their last resort. This would be the best time for USADA to get ahead of this before it becomes the norm.

Second, resolution is a very vague term in this sense especially coming from someone who is usually full of shit. That could mean a variety of things. It sounds more like "we're falling on the mercy of the courts" (especially given Romero is assuming full responsibility) rather than USADA caving on their own policies. So a reduced suspension or anything like that is a still a hit given that most likely Romero has lost his direct title shot. Keep in mind, USADA can still go, "You know what? Full suspension.". Nothing is stopping them based on how this whole situation was handled.

How hard is it to come up with your standard copy and paste statement? I dunno why people like Malki Kawa can't come out from the beginning and say that instead of going on possibly cocaine fueled Twitter rants trying to get back at Tim Kennedy and claim he is the best manager in the world. Hence, why I am saying that USADA is well within their rights to just say, "Fuck you. Your client is getting treated like everyone else."

• Like 1