DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

So apparently we PS4 users are getting mods for FO4 & Skyrim. Seems like only in game asset based stuff will be allowed. Can't help but wonder if Bethesda somewhat screwed us over with their tantrum last month as more was allowed before the beta cancellation. Who knows this could have been changed even back then. Whatever ever the case at least we get something.

They seemed overrated to me, going through them. The only one I installed on the XBox One was the Macho Man mod, and it threw a fit when trying to play Nuka-World. I had the idea that I'd like to know where all my old companions are (I sent them basically to random places when I was done with them, and can't remember where most of them are), but there wasn't a mod to do that. It seems like that'd be easy enough to do.

57 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

This morning I ignored a warning that one of my settlements was under attack,  but eventually got a notification that it had successfully defended itself. I didn't know that was possible.

I have Abernathy Farms just completely kitted out, with all settlers having weapons and even a tamed gorilla and deathclaw.  They haven't been successfully invaded in a long time.  Every time I come to help, they've already taken care of the problem.

31 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I have Abernathy Farms just completely kitted out, with all settlers having weapons and even a tamed gorilla and deathclaw.  They haven't been successfully invaded in a long time.  Every time I come to help, they've already taken care of the problem.

Yeah, I knew that if you went to defend a place sometimes your settlers and automatic defences would win the fight before you could even spot the enemy. But I thought  if you didn't show up at all, your settlement automatically took damage. Does the game actually simulate the fight in the background even if you're nowhere near?

38 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

There's a youtube poster (Oxhorn I think his name is) who does settlement videos where he shows you the spawn points for attacks. Really useful. Just set-up turrets where the spawn points are and they will usually take care of everything for you. The only problem with that is usually the turrets will kill the attackers while they're sort of far from your settlement so it can be tough to locate the bodies to loot.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

This morning I ignored a warning that one of my settlements was under attack,  but eventually got a notification that it had successfully defended itself. I didn't know that was possible.

It happens rarely. In truth well defended settlements were supposed to have a good chance of this, but they screwed up whatever system they used to decide the outcome of settlement attacks when you don't show up. I've seen it described as more or less a dice roll that completely ignores your defense.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:13 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

I like to leave Abernathy Farm defenseless. Fuck the Abernathy family.

On 10/10/2016 at 1:33 PM, Eivion said:

It happens rarely. In truth well defended settlements were supposed to have a good chance of this, but they screwed up whatever system they used to decide the outcome of settlement attacks when you don't show up. I've seen it described as more or less a dice roll that completely ignores your defense.

Interesting. The settlement in question for me was Covenant, which had a nominal Defense rating of 0 despite being surrounded by a wall lined with turrets. That's why I was wondering whether the game was actually simulating the fights. If it was just a random chance based on your Defense, which would be the easy way to code it, I'd never expect Covenant to fight off an attack.

Are you referring to the turrets that come with the settlement? Unlike turrets you build yourself when you take over the settlement, those can be blown up by enemies. It's a pain in the ass b/c you can't scrap them if they get blown up and the burned out husks just stay there (unless you're on a PC and have a mod that can clear them out).

17 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

See, where you see "idiot family" I see "cannon fodder".  Also, Abernathy is a big open wide space and is great for building in and on and over.

I used Abernathy for my above ground Vault. Tons of space and I think it has the highest build height. Even higher than Graygarden.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:34 PM, cwoy2j said:

Are you referring to the turrets that come with the settlement?

Yeah, those ones. I never considered the fact that you couldn't repair them (never did any work at Covenant at all, actually; it seems pretty built up to start), but I had noticed that they didn't count towards the settlement's official Defence score, which led to the settlement being unhappy about its defence, despite being a veritable fortress. (They're also unhappy about the fact that they don't produce enough food or water. Not sure why none of this seemed to be a problem before I took over.)

Since my last post, I've also had Starlight Drive-In successfully defend itself twice - which is odd, because the drive-in actually has no defences at all. So the system is definitely borked. Strange that I'm getting all these successful defences now, though. Do you suppose they tweaked the formula in the latest patch? The release notes don't say anything about it.

• 1 month later...

Anybody use mods yet? I tried my first two last night. One of them lets you skip the Home Sweet Home quest from Nuka World and go straight to Power Play. That way you can power up Nuka World and keep two of the raider factions for radiant quests without going through the hassle of raiding your own settlements in the Commonwealth. I also did the power armor one that lets you use all of the power armor paint jobs even if they're unique (like the Nuka Quantum one for X-01) or if you get locked out of it by siding against a faction (like if you blow up the Institute). You can also craft power armor frames and fusion cores. No issues so far but they seem like pretty lightweight mods.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the mod that allows you to craft everything at a chemistry station. It's a huge cheat code so I only use it to craft spawn grenades and to fill in the X-01 power armors I have that were missing random parts. The spawn grenades are a lot of fun. I'm friendly with the Pack and Operators so I made a bunch of their spawn grenades to create a squadron of them. I used them to clear out Quincy Ruins again and Gunner HG. I also like to spawn a bunch of Behemoths, gatorclaws, etc and have them fight BOS Knights.

• 1 month later...

So I loaded this up again this weekend and pulled a couple of my female characters out of retirement, and I have to ask: are there any actual straight women who play this game, and if so are you willing to confirm or dispute my conclusion that the romance options for straight female characters are shit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So after finally finishing up with Mass Effect Andromeda, I decided to go back and play an old game again. I picked up my copy of Fallout 4, looked at it and realized.... I really have no interest in playing it anymore. I can re-play the hell out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas but the more I sat and thought about Fallout 4 the more I realized it was kind of a lazy offering. Mods added some replay value for a while there but even that has gotten stale for me. If they had put out better DLC I may have a different opinion but the stuff they released for 4 was largely very underwhelming. I don't care about Contraptions or the Vault-Tec stuff (and really there are several mods that add more, and better, content than those anyway). Automatron had potential if they had fleshed out the storyline more but it was obviously slapped together just to introduce the ability to make your own robots. Far Harbor was OK (better if you play it with Nick as opposed to solo) but still not anywhere near as good as some of the stuff for 3 and NV (Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, Lonesome Road, The Pitt and Point Lookout were all better). Anyone else have a sense of disappointment about 4 now that the "OMG NEW FALLOUT" and "OMG MODZ" phases have worn off?