DVDVR Message Board

XCOM: The Long War - DVDVR SAVES THE WORLD!!!!

You can go into the .ini files and change the timings on build and research. The downside is that it greatly unbalances the game in your favor, since the Aliens have similar tech tree build times to you. I'm not sure what exactly to change, but I'd you poke around the nexusmod forums, it's all there.

I have no idea what this means.

Ok...

There are files in the game's directory that have all the settings that the game uses for everything.  These can be opened in Notepad, Wordpad, or Word, and edited.  Every piece of equipment, research, and foundry project has a timer setting that determines how long in the game it takes to build/research these things.  These are what were edited to make the Long War Mod.  You can go in and edit these, reducing the time to 1 day if you so chose, on everything.  

When the made the mod, they also increased the time it takes the Aliens to research and upgrade themselves, basically moving at the same ideal pace you would use in a good run.  If you change the build time settings, making them line up to Vanilla, you stack the game ridiculously far in your favor, since you'll be about 5 tiers into the tech tree before the Aliens upgrade once.  While turning you into a Zerg Rush, it basically saps all the fun out of the game.

Not giving you crap for your known attention span for games, but you weren't built for the Long War mod.  You were built for Vanilla.  

I *think* there's a modding helper that takes the proper configuration files and dumps them into a spreadsheet for you to get a better look at, change what you want, and will overwrite the config.  Think that's what you want to do, to get the timeframes matching Vanilla, but with all the Long War bells and whistles.

• 7 months later...

So I'm taking this thread over and making it my own.

I'm going to be doing an Ironman playthrough on Normal difficulty. I will be renaming characters shortly, and I'll be going by "Top Posters" list.It's actually Unknown, not the Long War. But I think it should be fun to check out.

EDIT: I'm making it Normal cause just everyone dying would be boring. I'm way too rusty at this game.

Also, Damage Roulette, New Economy, Not Created Equally, and Hidden Potential will all be turned on. Just to make things weirder.

• Like 1

Not including the first mission with the Randos....

OPERATION: LOST GIANT

Cordoba, Argentina

Phil Rippa: Rookie: 54 Will, 85 Aim

Brian Fowler: Rookie, 38 Will, 80 Aim

Odessa Steps: Rookie: 58 Will, 70 Aim

Niners Fan: 50 Will, 70 Aim

Mission taking place in teh gas station, aka one of my least favorite maps to deal with. Immediately split into Rippa and Odessa trying to go through the side entrance while Niners and Fowler cover the front. Phil uses his good position to score a quick kill. Fowler gets a couple shots at 60% to kill another Sectoid, but misses, and the Sectoid hits him for 4 of his 6, and puts him into a Panic (luckily, he just Hunkers Down instead of firing on Niners), Odessa quickly takes care of the second Sectoid. Fowler then becomes the person with the most terrible luck, as a Sectoid goes into the room, triggering two assault rifle Overwatches, which do 2 and 1 damage on his 4. the Sectoid then pistols Fowler for 2 damage.... and Down goes Fowler. Sorry Brian! The sectoid is easily killed, and the other 3 after that go down like nothing. Nobody else takes damage.

Post Mission

Phil Rippa: 2 Kills

Promoted to Support: 58 Will, 88 Aim

Brian Fowler: KIA 

Odessa Steps: 2 Kills

Promited to Sniepr: 63 Will, 79 Aim

Niners Fan: 2 Kills

Promoted to Support: 52 Will, 74 Aim.

Almost immediately after that, we shoot down a U.F.O. In Japan. DVDVR's forces are sent to investigate. Joining Phil, Odessa, and Niners on this mission will be...

J.T.!: An assault (taking over for one of my rando's on mission 1), with 47 Will and 72 Aim. 

OPERATION: TWISTED FEAR

This is one of those weird missions were it seems like the moment you jump in the enemies are on you. I really don't like that. We are in a corner with enemies on both sides of us, and only half cover, so this seems made for failure. Rippa pushes forward, to try to gain an advantage, and that doesn't work too great, triggering 2 overwatches. only 1 hits, but takes 3 of his 7 HP. Odessa and Phil combo up to take one of the bastards down, while Niners and J.T. try to take out the other 2. J.T. takes some damage from one (3 out of 6 ), but immediately follows with a Crit for a kill. The Sectoids seem to know whats up, and target Phil and J.T., but luckily both miss. Niners and Phil then immediately take out the 2 remaining Sectoids that got the jump, and everything calms down.

I make the strategic decision to heal J.T. instead of Rippa, and I really hope that doesn't bite me. That was my one Medpac of the mission, and I haven't even gotten to the ship yet.

Make it toe the ships entrance with no further hassle, and set up an overwatch when I open the door that takes out the Outsider. Thankfully, he is the last enemy on the mission.

Post Mission:

Phil Rippa: 4 Kills Total

Promoted to Corporal: Taking Covering Fire. Will: 60 Aim 93

WOUNDED: 8 days

Odessa Steps: 3 Kills Total

Niners Fan: 3 Kills Total

J. T.: 2 Kills Total

WOUNDED: 8 days

Could have gone better, but no deaths.

We got lucky folks! No signs of alien activity until Phil and J.T. were fully healed.

Also, my Heavy from the first mission finally healed up! That leads him to taking over for Niners on this next mission, an extraction into Mexico. So introducing to the team.

Big Fresh (A fantastic name for a Russian Woman, may I add): Heavy, 53 Will, 77 Aim.

OPERATION BLEEDING BREATH

TIJUANA, MEXICO

Fuck I HATE this map. It's the burning highway, if you know where that is. All sorts of problems with elevation, which is the last thing we need. We re setting to get a General Van Doorn, and if we can capture a Live Alien or two, all the better.

And we have Thin Men, which I was expecting, but still, not amazing.Also, just about only half cover here. Phil takes out the first one with a Pistol overwatch after Odessa weakened it.

God I hate this level. We get to Van Doorn, after J.T. dodged an Overwatch, but man this entire thing just has this ever present feeling of dread. And there is the 1st bad thing. J.T. takes 3 damage, while in Full Cover AND Hunkered Down. I'm calling the full evac now, just not having a good feeling about this one. Got the civilian out, still have some hostiles to deal with now, which means crossing a heavily fortified area were the opposition has a good defensive setup. Fresh quickly takes out one of the remaining Sectoids, but takes a reaction shot for 1 damage by the other. Sectoid takes a BIG chunk out of Fresh, 4 damage. Fresh follows with teh Stun though, and that's that. Another mission, no deaths. 

Phil "Freud" Rippa: 6 Kills

Promomoted to Sergeant: Given Field Medic as an ability: 67 Will, 98 Aim

Odessa Steps: 3 Kills

Promoted to Corporal: Given Squadsight as an Ability: 65 Will, 82 Aim

Big Fresh: 3 Kills

Promoted to Corporal: Given Bullet Swarm as an Ability: 57 Will, 78 Aim

WOUNDED: (16 Days, fuck)

J.T.: 2 Kills

Promoted to Corporal: Given Aggresion as an ABILITY: 51 Will, 74 Aim

WOUNDED: (9 Days)

How many of these fuckers have to die before I get a chance to prove that I'm ready to EAT MY OWN GUTS MOTHERFUCKERS!11?????

You wanted it, you got it :D

So, as part of doing that last mission, I got an Assault Sergeant. And since Piranesi wanted the role so bad...

Sgt: Pira "Bonzai" Nesi Assault (with Aggresion and Close and Personal. You are our Shotgunner good sir): 58 Will, 81 Aim

Next mission is before Fresh and J.T. can heal, so it's Phil, Odessa, Piranesi, and Niners, and we are heading to Calgary.

OPERATION FADING SMOKE

CALGARY, ALBERTA CANADA

Oooh, it's a map I actually kinda like, which means we are probably gonna all die.

Once more,feels like we are being put into a defensive position very early, as 4 Sectoids spawn damn fast. Phil gets a really quick kill, and Piranesi charges forward with his Shotgun to make mence meat out of another, only for it go horribley wrong. With a 100% shot and 60% critical, he manages 2 damage. But Piranesi seems to have the luck of a god. not only does the Sectoid miss his shot, it leads to a perfect opportunity for him to score a Stun. Then another Sectoid gets the jump on him, and misses a flanking shot. Then ANOTHER one tries to get into position to flank, only to walk into fatal reaction shot from Phil, and then Piranesi charges and Shotguns the fuck out of the guy who misses his shot. Jesus Christ man.

Niners, has less luck, taking 3 damage from a reaction of another Sectoid, but manages to Stun him as well, after Odessa sniped his partner. All quiet at this point, as we still have more Sectoids somewhere else on the map, we just don't know where.

Found them. And they got the jump on us, specifically on Rippa. who they Critical for 6 of his 10, and FUCK. Piranesi doesn't take kindly to that and Run and Guns one to a 100% Hit, 100% Critical (Jesus, I need more Run and Gun Assaults). Odessa weakons the last one, and then Piranesi goes in for a 99% change to end the mission that.... That fucking misses.But Odessa finishes it just fine.

POST MISSION:

Phil "Freud" Rippa: 8 Kills

WOUNDED: 18 Days (SON OF A BITCH)

Odessa "Spider" Steps: 5 Kills

Promoted to Sergeant: Given Damn Good Ground. 70 Will, 90 Aim

Pira "Bonzai" Nesi: 2 Kills

Ninners Fan: 3 Kills

Promoted to Corporal: Given Sprinter: 56 Will, 76 Aim

The promotions have turned Odessa into a "okay, that's not bad" to "Fucking Awesome". Unknown Potential man.

Welp, UFO landed, all while Fresh, Rippa, and Niners are still out. J.T. was literally like an hour after he returned to duty. Still, after going up to 5 soldiers (YAY!), I had to add 2, and sadly, my list of soldiers is pretty weak right now, so sorry for the ratings

Craig H: 22 Will (Ick), 70 Aim

Cool Arrow: 32 Will, 65 Aim.

They will be support Team Leader Odessa, Piranesi, and J.T.

OPERATION FORGOTTEN EMPIRE

BRAZIL

Basic 3 Sectoids Spawn at the start.at the start, Odessa picks one off and HOLY SHIT EVERYTHING IS GOING WRONG. One Sectoid takes ONE SHOT and it Crits Craig for 6. That's a fucking kill. He didn't even get a shot off, and he made 2 turns of movement. Fuck!

Odessa immediately gets revenge with a 2 for one kill, but god damn, this is a large space we are dealing with here, and 2 of my people have Shotguns. 

Odessa immediately takes 4, and everything is terrible, but he responds by Sniping the Fuck out of another powering dude. Piranesi then says fuck this shit and and Run and Guns to the tune of a Critical for 9.

Odessa then just shows total hatred and kills ANOTHER dude. That's 6 with 4 bullets in 4 turns. 

J.T. then gets god damn lit up after getting a kill, and now he's down to one hit point. God Damn this mission. After some run ins with the Outsider, the only one to not have taken damage now is Arrow. We get the Stun on the Outside and god damned mercifully this is over.

POST MISSION

Odessa "Spider" Steps: 11 Kills (Holy Shit)

Promoted to Lieutenant: Given Battle Scanner. 77 Will, 95 Aim

WOUNDED: 9 Days

Pira "Bonzai" Nesi: 3 Kills

Promoted to Lieutenant: Given Rapid Fire: 64 Will, 86 Aim

WOUNDED: 6 Days

J.T.

GRAVELY WOUNDED: 14 Days (FUUUUUUCK)

Craig H: KIA

Cool Arrow: 0 Kills

Fuck Fuck Fuck.

Welp. New Mission. Odessa, Piranesi, Rippa, J.T., and Fresh are all hurt. 1 day away from Pira and Fresh being back. Now, instead I have just.... not a great team, skill wise. 3 NEWBIES

Matt D: 56 Will, 50 Aim (Fucking 50 Aim....)

D. F. Above 30 Will (Christ) 55 Aim

Cris Tobal: Squaddie Sniper: 43 Will, 58 Aim (A 58 Aim on a SNIPER!)

We are gonna die.

Squad for the mission: Niners Fan, Cool Arrow, Matt D, D. F. Above, Cris Tobal

OPERATION FALLEN DAWN

LILLE FRANCE

Niners Fan is defacto leader, and the good news is I know this map well. The bad news is I'm hearing a sound that makes me think this isn't a "just a Sectoid" mission. AND THERE ARE 3 THIN MEN, JUST WONDERFUL.

We have a Sectoid charging and we can't hit it to save our lives. Niners takes it out, but he's being flanked by the Thin Men. Matt runs up to try to help take some out and triggers two more and... Fuck. D F A throws a Frag in to damage the cars they are using for cover.... then the car him and Cris were using for cover blows up. CThis is going as expected. Cristobal and D. F. A. are Dead. I'm probably gonna give you guys a respawn with characters who don't suck. 

4 Thin Men vs. a now Poisoned (cause yeah, that too) Niners, Matt, and Arrow. Poison means Niners isn't shooting well, and he was the one solid shot I had. Arrow steps up and becomes a mad with a vital kill, as does Matt. Arrow and Matt coming up huge here now. Matt's poisoned, but Niners has been cured. The Thin Men are dead, but Matt's not in great shape. I'd really like to Stun the last remaining Thin Man if I can here, probably too much to ask when I already have a couple deaths. 

HEY, THERE'S 3 MORE THIN MEN. CAUSE WHY NOT! 5 ON 3 NOW. Matt's in trouble and down he goes, critically wounded. 3 turns to kill 5 enemies or he dies. 1 dead on one turn, but I just don't think I have enough time. Yeah, Matt's gone. This is just a hope I can get someone out alive situation now. Niners isn't gonna make it, but has the common deceny to get a kill before he goes. Holy Shit Niners second poison dose went away with him at 1 HP.And then he runs into an Overwatch. Down to Arrow now. 1 on 3. 3 turns to kill 3 enemies. Don't see it happening. Well, he's 1 for 1. But the Thin Men just poisened Niners, so he's a corpse. HOLY SHIT THE MOST AMAZING THING JUST HAPPEND.

Arrow takes out one of the 2 remaining Thin Men. The 2nd Thin man charges, shoots Arrow for 4, knocking him down to 1. Arrow panics, immediately opens fire on the Thin Man, killing him. the Panic actually saved Niners life!

Still, what an abomination of a mission that was.

Post Mission

Niners Fan

GRAVELY WOUNDED: 10 Days

Cool Arrow 5 Kills (Fuck Man)

Promoted to Support

Wounded: 12 Days

Cris Tobal: 2 Kills

KIA

D. F. Above 

KIA

Matt D: 1 Kill

KIA.

Pour one out for the homies.

Welp, shot down an UFO, and this time, the main group is back together. Odessa, Phil, Piranesi, J.T., and Big Fresh lead the charge.

Also, I need money for Saelites badly

OPERATION LOST DRUID

JAPAN

This is a Medium UFO which means this MIGHT be the intro to Mutons. That would be a bad thing. 

Nope, not Mutons, but Floaters. Much easier, but they can damage quite fast too. Flanking bastards.

Really, so far it's gone great. J.T. blasted a Floater with his Shotgun, Piranesi Stunned the other (Yay research), and Odessa did one of his trademarked at this point 2 for 1 kills on Sectoids.  We are at the ship, and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. I shouldn't have even typed that, cause it meant that obviously things were gonna go wrong. Odessa gets hit for 4, but we manage to finally stun a Thin Man.After the last mission I really wanted this one to be stress free and for the most part it has been. Yep, killed the Outsider, and that does it. Smooth Sailing once we got the main crew into it. 

Odessa "Spider" Steps: 14 Kills

WOUNDED: 8 Days

Phil "Freud" Rippa 8 Kills

Promoted to Lieutenant: chose Rifle Suppresion: 72 Will, 101 Aim

Pira "Bonzai" Nesi: 4 Kills.

"Psycho" J.T.: 5 Kills

Promoted to Sergeant: Chose Close and Personal: 53 Will, 78 Aim

Big Fresh: 3 Kills.

and purchased 3 satellite's, which will most likely be going over North America shortly.

Quite literally the next day, another Abduction mission. I was gonna call it a night too. And I now have to take the worst soldier option I have. Whoever gets this name, I'm sorry.

Kris Z: 30 Will, 50 Aim. That's just turrible. 

He will be joining 2 Assaults, a Support, and a Heavy. Missing Odessa could really hurt here.

OPERATION ROTTEN JUSTICE

MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM

Ick, one of my least favorite maps. And wow, we draw out the Floaters early, and get 2 quick and easy kills, including one from Kris with the terrible stats. There goes 2 more Floaters. This really couldn't have gone any better so far.Welp, Piranesi just got hit, but that was it. Not a great writeup cause nothing really eventful went down.

If you have played this game before, you know.... something is coming up very soon. And that something terrifies me. 

Post Mission

Phil "Freud" Rippa: 10 Kills

"Psycho" J.T.: 7 Kills

Promoted to Lieutenant: selected Rapid Fire, 56 Will, 82 Aim

"Bonzai" Pira Nesi 5 Kills

"Hulk" Big Fresh: 5 Kills

Promoted to Sergeant: selected Shredder Rocket, 64 Will, 80 Aim

Kris Z 1 Kill

Promoted to Squaddie: Assault. 34 Will, 51 Aim.

And next time, everybody dies.