DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

The problem with oneplus is the two is just hard to get your hands on.

I'm not talking about the Two. :)

Oh okay.  Well if you're looking at a One, I highly recommend it.  Battery life is great and camera is on par with all but the top camera phones.  It's kind of at the max size that I'd prefer for daily use.  I don't know that I'd want to go much or any bigger for something I'm carrying every day although the Note 5 has tempted me many times. 

If you wait for a new Nexus device, you'll want to snap one up from the google play store as soon as they release if you want to be sure to get one. 

If you are waiting that long you also might have another option in the Oneplus Two if they do a limited buy window at some point like they did the One.  That's how I got my One.  They just opened sales to anyone for an hour and then closed it back down to invite only after that. 

Another option is the new Moto X phones.  The size might be bigger than what you're looking for but it has some features that the Oneplus Two does not.  The Moto X play is a cheaper phone that still has a lot of bells and whistles but it's not supposed to be released in the US.  Might be able to get one from someone in Canada though and it should still work on ATT and Tmo LTE bands. 

I'll probably be getting a new device in the next couple of months and it will most likely be one of the Two, Moto X Style, or Nexus.  I'm most interested in seeing the details of the Nexus.  The Two will probably get tossed out of the running because the Moto X looks to be spec'd better, has better features, and is same price range. 

Fwiw, Bix, the new Nexus 5 looks to be coming out 9/29.

Well, if the rumored specs are true (namely 3180 mAh battery and the screen being 1080p as opposed to stupidly high res) and it's got the rumored old-school Nexus price point, that sounds like it might be perfect. Curious just how good the camera is besides high MP count and if it has one of those low power always on voice command processor thingies.

Any word yet on when the official announcement should me?

Hey Bix, if you can hold off for a little bit, I think it'll be worth your while. If LG releases the 2015 Nexus 5, and it seems like that's going to happen at some point this year, that'll probably be your best bet. If the rumored specs are true, then it'll be perfect for you. I wouldn't worry about the camera because Android cameras have actually come a long way since the original Nexus 5. Even my Nexus 6 takes pretty good pictures. Not Galaxy/LG/iPhone good, but still more than usable.

Also, there are rumors that Verizon will be getting two Droid-branded phones this year, one as a successor to the Droid Turbo and another one which will pretty much be the Moto X Play just in the US and only one Verizon. I'd say any of those three are better options than picking up a Droid Turbo. I also wouldn't worry about Droid skin/bloatware too much as like you said, downloading the Google launcher fixes a lot of that real quick. The skin is also not as drastic as LG or Samsung's (acknowledging TouchWiz is better but still not perfect).

But the way, when it comes to battery life benchmarking, is there any kind of consensus as to what review site has the best and most reliable testing? I usually go by Phone Arena because they have such a nice handy chart of everything they've reviewed, but I'm curious because occasionally you'll find a site whose results seem like an outlier.

Also for those with a OnePlus One: Would I be best off installing their Oyxygen OS version of Android since it still comes with CM11 and that ended their deal with Cyanogen?

Battery reviews are tough because there's so many variables that affect battery life, not to mention reviews generally only factor in a brand new battery and not how well it stacks up after 6 months or a year. Anandtech tends to get pretty deep with their reviews, so you might want to check them out.

I would have suggested the Moto X Pure/Style but I don't know about the battery life. It has the same as my Nexus 6 and while I find that my N6 gives me good battery life, it's also well short of the Droid Turbo or older Droid Maxx phones.

But the way, when it comes to battery life benchmarking, is there any kind of consensus as to what review site has the best and most reliable testing? I usually go by Phone Arena because they have such a nice handy chart of everything they've reviewed, but I'm curious because occasionally you'll find a site whose results seem like an outlier.

Also for those with a OnePlus One: Would I be best off installing their Oyxygen OS version of Android since it still comes with CM11 and that ended their deal with Cyanogen?

Cyanogen.  Oxygen doesn't really give you anything at all and people report worse battery life.  The current CM version you will get on a One is CM12.1.  I'm actually using a rom called Bliss pop v3.9 and I really like it.  It's standard lollipop basically until you get into the settings and it just offers a ton of customization.  

Cyanogen.  Oxygen doesn't really give you anything at all and people report worse battery life.  The current CM version you will get on a One is CM12.1.  I'm actually using a rom called Bliss pop v3.9 and I really like it.  It's standard lollipop basically until you get into the settings and it just offers a ton of customization.  

So all of the issues people were having with CM12 for the 1+1 were rectified, then? It seemed like a lot of people were holding off on upgrading to Oxygen or CM12 because the CM12 port was not exactly optimal.

Would I completely lose OTA updates with CM12.1? Or is there an updater built in?

There's an updater built in.  I did an OTA update from CM11 to CM12 and then 12.1 after that.  I didn't have any issues at all with 12 and neither did the wife.  I think 12.1 might have addressed the issues that some people were having with 12.  It wasn't until a month or two after I had 12.1 that I rooted the phone and installed a custom rom.  But I haven't had any problems with...scratch that, I did have a problem on 12 now that I think about it.  For some reason when I would play a video stream, not youtube because that was never affected for whatever reason, but the video would basically stop after a minute or so and the audio would continue.  This went away after 12.1 I guess.  But I haven't encountered that issue in a while so I guess it was fixed. 

If those specs are true, that puppy's gonna fly. Battery size isn't huge but it's also a 1080p screen on a very efficient process on a much more efficient Android version. Looks like it'll be a real solid get.

4K on a screen that small is beyond dumb.

Anywho, also dumb is me, for trusting Sprint enough to return to them.

They rewarded me, and other customers, with an extremely long service outage today.

To me, battery life is the most important thing.  All of these newer phones operate as fast as I can use them so things like processor speed and RAM aren't that big a deal to me as long as they're on par with the other top tier phones.  Battery size is a big deal.  My One has a 3100mAh battery and I can use it all day, forget to charge it at night and it last me at least until the end of the next workday.  And I use my phone.  I'm not interested in getting low battery notifications anytime before I lay my head down to sleep at night. 

One- 3100mAh

Two- 3300mAh

S5- 2800mAh

S6- 2550mAh

G3- 3000mAh

G4- 3000mAh

Xperia Z3- 3100mAh

Moto X Style- 3000mAh

2700 is disappointing to me.  I know that it's not all about the size of the battery and that how the phone is able to maximize its resources to conserve battery life is a big factor too, but it's just quite a bit lower than some other phones out there. 

Yeah, I suspect they'll get some decent life out of it, but when you consider that the battery and the camera were the only real flaws in the 2013 Nexus 5, anything under 3000mAh feels like a disappointment. Still have no idea sure if I should wait to see if I can get one at launch or just try a OnePlus One now or what.

On the other end of the spectrum, it's looking like Sony really is going to throw a 4K UHD screen on the 5.5" Xperia Z5 Premium.

The battery life is going to be so bad.

Supposedly LG is doing the same thing with the G5.

Thing is, the only phone on that list that doesn't have either a bigger screen or a higher resolution is the S5. A lot of them have both.

Edit: Maybe the Z3? I have no idea what the specs on that one are.

Goddammit. Somehow I put a tiny chip in the aluminum band on my Note 5 right next to the glass. I'm assuming my seat belt lightly knocked against it. I'm seriously thinking about asking for a replacement. Seeing that is going to be like having a popcorn husk stuck in my tooth for the next two years. Also, that's really soft aluminum.

Really rethinking only going with the Samsung case that just protects the back of the phone...

Really?

I've had very little problem with Sprint's service over the last two years. Although college being back does slow down my speed in Mt Pleasant.

Their entire texting service went down and they were quoting people with a 4 hour downtime.