DVDVR Message Board

Horror Franchise Thread

Newb82

Guest The Magnificent 7

They aren't the worst films in that set.

Some of the others have major problems and aren't very good.  But Zombie's are the worst, he totally missed the point of Michael Myers from the original.  Just awful movies. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Those are just throwaway bad sequels that you get from about every franchise that's over 3 movies. 

Zombie's is a remake of a classic that gets about every scene drastically wrong.  Like the original needed an hour of childhood broken home nonsense to explain Michael Myers.  Just terrible. 

I'm with Fowler on this one.  I didn't mind Zombie trying to do something different with the series, even if his batting average was a bit low in the first one and downright pitiful in the second.  Yeah, turning it into the exact same sort of grungy 70s throwback/tribute with an all-star roster of horror vets (plus his inevitable wife) didn't help.  But I didn't mind someone ATTEMPTING to shake things up a bit, not when a series has dug itself into that deep a rut.  I utterly don't see how Michael having a shitty childhood is somehow worse than the Evil Druids horseshit from 6, or how Zombie's roll call of foulmouthed rednecks are supposedly even worse than the hipster party people from 8.  

• 2 weeks later...

I hated the Zombie re-dos of Halloween.  Humanizing Myers was the worst thing you could do.

The original is so awesome because Carpenter blurs the line between Myers being a lunatic and Myers being a boogeyman.  He is Killer Zero for the psycho slasher archaetype.

Also, some shit about Myers is best left unexplored like HOW THE FUCK DOES HE KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A CAR~??

Zombie needs to cultivate his own ideas.  The Devil's Rejects mythology still feels incomplete and Lords of Salem screams for its own universe.

I enjoyed the first Halloween movie of Zombies. It wasn't the greatest thing ever but I enjoyed it....apparently not enough to watch the second one but none the less it was ok. That being said the first Halloween to me is the most boring slasher flick of the "originals" if you will. 

I like parts of Zombie's first Halloween a lot, but it would have been much better served (creatively, though clearly not financially) as a film inspired by Halloween and not as a remake with that title and those character names.

The second one is a fucking mess.  There are some damn good ideas in it (Laurie having PTSD, bringing the kills back to being brutal and not fun, some genuinely amazing domestic scenes with three massively damaged characters) but they are just sunk by this weird psycho-vision thing that permeates it.

• Like 1

I agree I think the movie would be received better if it was something else other than Halloween. I really thought the first one was pretty good but again I never felt interested to see the second one. Thats the only Zombie movie I have ever seen none of the others really have interested me.

The first one just basically pissed me off after Michael got out of the hospital. Fucking Loomis repeating "Michael, Michael, Michael" over and over at the end, Mr. Superhuman smashing through a whole house. More Sherri Moon Zombie and more pointless vulgarity. It was such a shitfest; I wandered in on a bunch of friends watching the sequel and drunkenly berated it until I fell asleep. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I agree I think the movie would be received better if it was something else other than Halloween. I really thought the first one was pretty good but again I never felt interested to see the second one. Thats the only Zombie movie I have ever seen none of the others really have interested me.

Devil's Rejects is great.  Just pretend that House of 1000 Corpses was never made.

Lords of Salem also has great potential but it is a tad unfocused.

• Like 1

I hated the Zombie re-dos of Halloween.  Humanizing Myers was the worst thing you could do.

The original is so awesome because Carpenter blurs the line between Myers being a lunatic and Myers being a boogeyman.  He is Killer Zero for the psycho slasher archaetype.

Also, some shit about Myers is best left unexplored like HOW THE FUCK DOES HE KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A CAR~??

Zombie needs to cultivate his own ideas.  The Devil's Rejects mythology still feels incomplete and Lords of Salem screams for its own universe.

Is anybody really that hot to see the octopus (that the Montauk monster apparently knocked Sherri Moon Zombie up with) grow up to be the Antichrist? Besides I thought everything in Lords came off as nothing more than fever dreams and mass hysteria happening to its characters; not stuff that was even necessarily happening within that film's reality. Amongst the fever dreams was her being knocked up by the Poultry of Darkness. 

Devil's Rejects is great.  Just pretend that House of 1000 Corpses was never made.

Lords of Salem also has great potential but it is a tad unfocused.

I loved how (even though the actor dying was the real reason why) they didn't even acknowledge Grampa's existence in Rejects. Sure Dr. Satan was an ill fit but not even a passing mention of Grampa? Poor old disrespected bastard.

My pet theory remains that those were all ideas Zombie had sitting in the back of his head forever about this white trash slasher trasher he'd like to do someday. Then lo and behold the day comes where he is given his biggest budget ever to do some Halloween remake and voila; there you have it. Er what Fowler already kind of alluded to. Then again white trash is such a deep well for Zombie that I doubt he had to think too hard to reimagine Myers as your run of the mill serial killer.

But yeah the wheels really came off when Myers started smashing through walls in place of any kind of actual suspense or tension. Zombieween II can piss right on off after the opening hospital sequence.

Am I going to be the only person on the entire board who sincerely, unironically enjoys House of a Thousand Corpses?  I kinda felt like it was one of those Under Siege movies; y'know, the ones that are pieced together from other, better movies but feature a cast and crew who usually star in no-budget straight-up bullshit which is even worse than than this.  (I've also got a pet theory that House of 1000 Corpses was the movie that the Firefly family would make about themselves, while The Devil's Rejects is basically the David Fincher supergritty version of the story.)  It's made by fans of the genre, for fans of the genre, and sometimes even the characters are fans of the genre. 

Zombie does keep leaving himself wide open for his critics: his dialogue has that sort of "first time you saw Pulp Fiction" level of cursing, so much cursing that it just feels forced and overdone at times.  And yeah, he keeps giving his wife bigger and bigger parts; this is of course paralleled by the fact that she improves as an actor with each project she gets, which seems roundly ignored by most of the critics.  (Digression: why do people whine about directors who cast family members that perfectly fulfill their contracted roles?  I keep seeing this over and over again, with charges of nepotism levelled at projects which worked just fine.  "Oh no, it's ANOTHER Tim Burton movie, he's gonna force his wife down our throats!" while totally forgetting that Helena Bonham-Carter is one of the best fucking actresses to ever appear in front of any camera lens anywhere ever.)  

But hey, more Sid Haig getting work is more Sid Haig getting work, y'know?  Even if by the end of The Lords of Salem I wish they would have just dropped Rob Zombie into a rehab clinic and make him stay there until his whatever-the-fuck-he-took finally drains out of his system, it's still a neat experience to see forgotten 70s icons being trotted out and reminding us why we liked these people in the first place.  

Is anybody really that hot to see the octopus (that the Montauk monster apparently knocked Sherri Moon Zombie up with) grow up to be the Antichrist? Besides I thought everything in Lords came off as nothing more than fever dreams and mass hysteria happening to its characters; not stuff that was even necessarily happening within that film's reality. Amongst the fever dreams was her being knocked up by the Poultry of Darkness. 

Lords of Salem was very incomplete and deliberately so.   I'd like to think that all of that clutter wasn't necessarily comprised soley of red herrings.

I don't want to see the Anit-Christ angle come to fruition, but the materiel could spin off and benefit from a few variations of a theme sidebars concerning the origins of the record or backstory on some of the characters.

I like House.  But I don't love it or anything.  It's a perfectly competent riff on TCM, but nothing more than that.

We all know of my distatste for the original TCM.  Perhaps this is why I don't like House.