DVDVR Message Board

Your reading ritual?

Liam

Just a topic I thought might be interesting - what/where/when do you read? Are you the type who devours books hour upon hour of an evening, or (like me) do you tend to grab a chapter or two in the bath, or before bed time? Do you have a specific time/place/setting for reading?

I very rarely read for the sake of reading during the day - I tend to be playing PS3/watching TV/working (I'm a teacher). I usually read in the bath or before I go to bed. Also, if I'm down at my fiance's families' house, I read a lot - she is usually cooking/baking with her Mum. I also tend to read a lot when on holiday - polished off three (albeit short) books whilst away in Brussels this week for a few days.

I used to love reading and would do it whenever I had free time. Ironically over the past two years, I've purchased more books than I ever have before, yet I spend the least amount of time reading these days. I'm big on the long fantasy trilogies/sagas, so they're quite time consuming as well as having a sharp memory to recall names and places. I find I get burned out on those and will switch to something a bit easier to digest. I'm contemplating spending weekends on the couch with a book to get my reading time back up to normal.

Oh, and worth asking - do you read one book at a time? Or do you bounce around?

I have a habit of bouncing between several books at once. I usually have a non-fiction book on the go, whilst also a lighter fiction and a more epic fiction story as well. This doesn't always work well for me, as I sometimes burn out on the books I am reading, but I like to cover a variety of genres with my reading.

I mostly read comics/graphic novels, but my habits for them and regular books are mostly the same. I tend to read one at time, usually when I'm in the bathroom and before I go to sleep. Depending on how interested I am about a book I will end up reading during time where I could be playing games or watching tv. The more excited I am about a book the faster I tend to go through it as it becomes me reading 3-4 chapters at a time instead of the normal 1.

I have pretty much the exact same rituals as Liam - try to read a chapter in the evening, usually before bed, and also have multiple books on the go.

Graphic novels are a bit different. I tend to see reading as 'peace and quiet' time so head to the bedroom or the basement, but I don't treat graphic novels that way and can read them with music or TV on in the background.

I tend to read books like i'll watch a season of a TV show. Mostly in the evenings or on weekends among doing other things. I only read one at a time, i'll usually read a decent chunk at the start to get into it and read a couple of chapters during the evenings after that. Until i hit a good bit or its near the end and its all kicking off then i just binge read until i finish it.

I'm usually reading something (or several somethings) professionally and something else for pleasure. (Not to say that the stuff I'm reading for editing, assembling collections or introducing isn't pleasurable, if it wasn't I wouldn't be doing it.) My night table currently has Dean Silverstone's book on running an outlaw fed in the Northwest I Ain't no Pig-Farmer and two novellas by Tim Curran (who I should write about in the Horror Author feature), and a couple of Wodehouse collections. Reading for work, a stack of weird menace stories by the Gregory brothers (Dane Gregory and W. Wayne Robbins) and another stack by Mary Dale Buckner (Donald Dale). All good stuff, just not enough hours in the day... As to where? Usually in bed, for up to three or four hours at a time.