DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: EL CANEK

RIPPA

Boy - remember those days when everyone pretended that Hogan was the first to slam Andre? Yeah... good times.

Anyway - Canek was one of those men who slammed Andre that you never knew about. I was searching for a good quality version of the Canek/Andre UWA Anniversary Show but that is like finding a black unicorn.

So here is this one. You just have to tolerate Inoki

• Like 1

Canek is one of the few guys I wasn't impressed with on the front half of the lucha set. 

Obviously the guy was a real star and I think most of us can recognize that if someone's a real star they bring something to the table and through looking at the wrestling you can figure out what. People had a lot harder time doing that in the days of calling wrestlers Junkfood Dog and Orange Goblin and Anabolic Warrior and what not.

Some of it is also a footage issue since he was in UWA during his athletic prime right? He did a lot of stuff later too, though. So if anyone has any good Canek performances, post them and I'll watch them. 

Other than being freakishly strong, I can't really say one thing about Canek that makes him particularly memorable.  I liked his matches against Tiger Mask, Dos Caras, and Dr. Wagner and arguably because I like the guys that were working El Canek in those constests.

I think it is hilarious that people not familiar with Lucha seem to believe he is Canadian.  That's Canek as in Jacinto Canek, asshole, not Canuck.

I did this set on El Canek.

EL CANEK IN NEW JAPAN

Volume 1
Running Time: 1:57

4/22/79 Canek vs. Antonio Inoki (NJ/NWF Title)
6/7/79 Canek vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (WWWF Jr. Title, MSG Tournament)
12/1/81 Canek, Super Maquina vs. Tiger Mask, Tatsumi Fujinami
12/8/81 Canek vs. Tiger Mask
6/18/82 Canek vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
6/25/82 Canek, Andre the Giant vs. Antonio Inoki, Hulk Hogan
7/2/82 Canek, Dick Murdoch vs. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami

Volume 2
Running Time: 1:57

7/9/82 Canek vs. Antonio Inoki
12/3/82 Canek vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
5/13/83 Canek, Hulk Hogan vs. Riki Choshu, Killer Khan
5/30/83 Canek, Andre, Big John Studd vs. Antonio Inoki, Seiji Sakaguchi, Kengo Kimura
6/12/83 Canek vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
7/6/84 Canek vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
7/13/84 Canek vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi
8/10/84 Canek vs. The Cobra
8/17/84 Canek vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi
BONUS MATCH
1984 Canek, Perro Aguayo, Fishman vs. Dos Caras, El Spirito, Enrique Vera (CMLL)

Volume 3
Running Time: 1:38

4/12/85 Canek, Hiro Saito vs. Cobra, Kantaro Hoshino
8/17/86 Canek, Fishman vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura
1/12/87 Canek vs. Keiji Muto
10/10/88 Canek, Perro Aguayo vs. Keiji Yamada, Shiro Koshinaka
10/19/88 Canek, Perro Aguayo vs. Shiro Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura
10/27/88 Canek, Perro Aguayo, Biff Wellington vs. Shiro Koshinaka, Hiro Saito, Kuniaki Kobayashi
BONUS MATCHES
1984 Canek vs. Cien Caras (CMLL)
1985 Canek, Fishman vs. Gran Hamada, Anibal (CMLL)

Dammit I'm gonna have to watch that '78 match now. 

I recall actually really liking Canek/Sayama because Canek kicked the crap out of him. That might have been the best pre-Super Tiger Sayama match aside from the Misioneros matches, one or two of the Dynamite run (probably just one), and that totally awesome six-man tag with Tiger/Inoki/Fujinami vs. Abdullah/Dynamite/Baby Face (!).