DVDVR Message Board

2024 NCAAB - Off-Season

Zimbra

On 4/12/2024 at 7:07 AM, RIPPA said:

Kentucky will be hiring Mark Pope from BYU

Fan base seems pissed over this and I can't say I blame them.  Pope may well turn out to be the guy, but it doesn’t seem like he was on anyone’s radar earlier in hiring season and it’s quite a turnaround in 24 hrs. UK fans started the day thinking they would probably get Scott Drew.  At lunchtime, it was rumored UK was offering Dan Hurley $100 mil for eight years.  Nope.  Dinneritme talk was Billy Donovan.  Nothing came of that.  So they end the day hiring Pope and his 0 NCAA tourney wins and one season in a power conference.

i’m not a UK fan and don’t have mich of an opinion either way about Pope, but he really feels like a guy, not the guy to me.  You’re Kentucky. Money isn’t a huge issue, so you don’t have to rush to hire a guy.  I just don’t get it. Neither does fan base.  Good luck to Pope, but I think he’s going to have to win right away and do a heckuva sales job to win over alumni.

i am impressed by Drew turning down Monopoly money because his wife didn’t want to uproot the family (their kids have spent their entire lives in Waco) and because the family prayed on it overnight and concluded God didn’t want them to go to Lexington (lol, there’s a joke there).

Edited by The Old-Fashioned Gamer
Corrected many, many typos

7 hours ago, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

Fan base seems pissed over this and I can't say I blame them.  Pope may well turn out to be the guy, but it doesn’t seem like he was on anyone’s radar earlier in hiring season and it’s quite a turnaround in 24 hrs. UK fans started the day thinking they would probsbly get Scott Drew.  At lunchtime, it was rumored UK was offering Dan Harley $100 mil for eight years.  Nope.  Dinneritme talk was Billy Donovan.  Nothing came of that.  So they end the day hiring Pope and his 0 NCAA tourney wins and one season in a power conference.

Clearly Kentucky was impressed with his 1-8 record against Gonzaga. 

• Haha 1

Don't feel like digging up a WNBA thread so I'll put this story here.

Gregg Doyel, supposedly a professional journalist, decided that Caitlin Clark's intro press conference was the perfect time to..........hit on her.  And somehow he hasn't been fired yet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/caitlin-clark-addresses-creepy-question-from-reporter-at-wnba-fever-introduction/ar-BB1lOh8Z?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=3aad00a64c5f45d8a3a38f6c386ebabe&ei=10

If you want the Alabama/Auburn basketball rivalry to start punching up to the hatred of the football one, Aden Holloway transferring there is a quick way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael and Jontay Porter's brother has been arrested for drunk driving. 

No, not the one that just got sentenced to six years in prison for killing somebody while drunk driving. That was Coban. This is Jevon, who played for Pepperdine but had signed with Loyola Marymount from the transfer portal.